Forums
Posted By: montyz Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 12th Aug 2013 9:51am
Hi, I have a mac mini intel running Snow Leopard and need to upgrade to OSX Lion to run iCLoud. Apple only supply the latest OS Mountain Lion, which won't work on my mac. It will run Lion but you can no longer download the older OS from Apple. Does anyone have a Lion install on DVD or usb drive, or a Lion Install disk image I could use to make the upgrade?
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 12th Aug 2013 2:13pm
There are a torrent (cough-cough) of them online.

I got mountain lion from there.

Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 12th Aug 2013 2:14pm
If I were you, id stick with Snow Leopard, its their best OS.

Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 12th Aug 2013 2:15pm
Or try this:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57511534-263/how-to-set-up-icloud-services-in-snow-leopard/
Posted By: montyz Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 12th Aug 2013 3:06pm
Thanks Deano; I think I'll clone my SL partition and try upgrading with a downloaded Lion dmg. If it all goes pear-shaped, or my other apps won't work with Lion, I'll still have my original SL installation. The icloud web workaround is a bit too flaky for my liking.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 13th Aug 2013 8:04am
Lion has a lot of issues, you sure mountain lion wont work?
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 13th Aug 2013 8:06am
To be honest, I dont even think Icloud is worth having. If you have an iphone or Ipad, you can tell Iphoto to collate them for you. Depends why you need it. I use mountain lion but wish id kept snow leopard. Its not worth the upgrade in my opinion.

If you can get it free then its worth a shot though.
Posted By: montyz Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 13th Aug 2013 9:57am
Downloaded Lion dmg (ahem, free) last night, restored to install partition and and successfully upgraded my cloned SL. Will keep my original Snow Leopard partition until I'm happy Lion will do all I need. Seems to be fine so far, all my apps work with it, I think. Not yet installed iCloud... It's not for me, it's for the missus and the boy who both have iPhones. Our mac mini only has Core2Duo 1.83Ghz and max 3gb ram, it won't run ML (according to Apple). Thanks for all your advice. I think it's worth upgrading to Lion; it was a prompt to upgrade my ram and put in a new 500GB hard drive as the original 80gb was nearly full. Also I will be able to run more up-to-date versions of Safari, Firefox etc and some other apps .
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Mac upgrade to Lion - 13th Aug 2013 12:18pm
You can only sync one Icloud per user I think, so you will need to make sure they login using their own username.

Have fun!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral