Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Text distortion on laptop screen - 6th Aug 2013 6:40pm
Odd visual problem on a laptop – HP G62 about 2 years old or a tad more. 4GB memory and Athlon 11 dual core.

Works absolutely fine on programs like Office, Photoshop etc BUT when I use the internet I get corrupted text DEVELOPING as text stays on the screen. Text may show fine initially but (a) if I scroll the page it will distort – seems to be worse at the top of the screen (b) the distortion can sometimes happen anyway even if I do not scroll. Not all text distorts - just some of it eg as if in "patches" on the screen

If I refresh the screen or
If I highlight the text

Then it will clear again – for a short while

Looks to me as something is failing – but if it was something to do with video drivers then surely it would happen when text from any source was showing, not just text from the internet????

Some websites seem to show the problem more than others – WIKI is always bad. Snips of good/bad screen displays are shown below

Dr, Mark, anyone any clues?

I have backed up everything to external disks and have even thought of pressing the button to return the machine to the original “as purchased” state. Not sure if that would help though.

Snod

Attached picture goodprint.jpg
Attached picture Badprint.jpg
Posted By: kamikazi Re: Text distortion on laptop screen - 7th Aug 2013 9:28am
What browser are you using?

K
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Text distortion on laptop screen - 7th Aug 2013 1:45pm
Could be one of two things.

Wrong drivers installed OR

Check your screen resolution settings by right clicking on the desktop. Change it to something like 720p (Or nearest to it) and see if it fixes it.

The effect your getting normally happens when your resolution is too high.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Text distortion on laptop screen - 7th Aug 2013 4:10pm
Originally Posted by DeanoBirko

Check your screen resolution settings by right clicking on the desktop. Change it to something like 720p (Or nearest to it) and see if it fixes it.

The effect your getting normally happens when your resolution is too high.

Good point; now you mention it, it happened to me a few years ago.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Text distortion on laptop screen - 7th Aug 2013 5:32pm
Browser is Firefox - problem was the same using IE

However, good thinking guys. The resolution was at 1366 x 768 - simply because THAT was what Windows selected and is "recommended". I have now dropped it to 1280 x 768 and we will see how I get on with that. The machine warns that anything less than 1024 x 768 then items will not fit the screen

Odd thing is I have never (knowingly) changed the screen resolution. The set up I have been using is how the machine came. However, I had no problem at all with the text distortion for the first 18 months using the machine - only started around Easter this year. I have been blaming NTL/ Virgin because that was exactly the time when they gave me a big cable speed increase. Coincidence?

Cheers Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Text distortion on laptop screen - 7th Aug 2013 8:40pm
Resolution change seems to have sorted the problem.
Thank you Gentlemen.
Everlasting Lollipop award will be recommended.

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral