Forums
Posted By: Sneezy HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 5:03pm
Daughter dropped her iPhone in water, literally for a couple of seconds but it won't come on now.
Now she's not so worried about the phone being ruined but is there any way at all of getting her info, photos, messages etc off the phone? She's devastated as she's not long had a baby and every photo was on the phone frown
She's tried all the normal remedies to try and dry it out but it won't even turn on.
Went the iPhone shop and they couldn't help.
Any advice greatly appreciated...Thanks.
Posted By: Salmon Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 5:34pm
Seems that rice is the answer.Good luck.
http://osxdaily.com/2013/04/11/dropped-iphone-into-water-save-damage/
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:02pm
Thanks Salmon....tried that....still nothing frown
Posted By: little_pob Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:12pm
How long did you leave it? Most of the rice suggestions I've seen recommend at least a week.
Posted By: Kev30x Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:15pm
Put iphone in two mens sports socks, tie the sport socks at the top, then wrap in a towel. put towel on the bottom shelf of the oven and then put on low heat for 30 minutes.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2309177?start=0&tstart=0
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:17pm
It only happened yesterday, so I'll tell her to leave it in the rice longer.....bit loathe to try the oven method 😏
Posted By: Kev30x Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:22pm
Originally Posted by Sneezy
bit loathe to try the oven method 😏

Seems to of worked for the American guys in the link i provided.

Because the phone is well wrapped up and protected by socks and towel, it just gets dried out with the heat of the oven through the socks and towel.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:32pm

Originally Posted by Kevinx
Put iphone in two mens sports socks, tie the sport socks at the top, then wrap in a towel. put towel on the bottom shelf of the oven and then put on low heat for 30 minutes.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2309177?start=0&tstart=0

That sounds delicious, maybe add a bit of gravy, could be a tad dry!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 6:42pm
dont put it in the oven or rice, the rice stems from an urban myth off facebook, you need a jiffy bag, an iphone screwdriver, switch cleaner, a cloth, a toothbrush and silica gel.

i know because i fixed one not so long back.

what happens is the connections on the battery and the connections where you plug it in corrode real fast.

the switch cleaner will clean these connections and repel the water.

take the 2 screws out the bottom.

slide the back off

unscrew the small screw holding the battery in.

remove the battery carefully

spray the insides with the switch cleaner (£7.99 in ss radio)

use the toothbrush on the battery terminals

now spray the bottom terminal (charge port) with the switch cleaner

scrub with toothbrush spray again and blow it.

wipe with cloth and make sure dry

put it in the jiffy bag with silica gel (leave back and battery off)

72 hours later put back together and charge it.

this is exactly what i did and it worked, mine had visable corrosion which was like when copper goes green.

perfect now.

Posted By: TheDr Re: HELP...... - 1st Aug 2013 9:05pm
Can't guarantee to get the phone completely working again, but can have a go at getting the info back off the phone for you.

Fixing it takes TIME, don't expect any of the methods suggested to have it working within minutes, and beware if the battery is damaged, they can go bang in quite spectacular ways.

Don't keep trying to turn it on until you've cleaned it properly, whilst it won't effect if you can get the phone working again, if it keeps trying to start and crashing you'll end up throwing the phone into a Restore mode, which means you'll have to reload the IOS, which means all of that important data will be lost.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 2:05am
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 2:10am
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 7:53am
RICE and DONT TRY TO TURN IT ON FOR AT LEAST A WEEK!!!!

Leave it in a sealed bag of rice on top of your Sky/Virgin box vent (Its warm, but not hot)

Leave it for a week and DO NOT turn it on or you will fry it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 8:34am
ive told you the correct way to do it, its not a tooth, you dont leave it on top of the sky box or put it under your pillow, the friggin chinese fairys are not going to come and fix it for you.

do what i said, it will cost you £14 but will be fixed.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 1:23pm
And lets hope this tale inspires people to make sure they take regular backups of the phones, laptops and computers.

I see it on a weekly basis - "my memory stick doesn't work and its got all my work on it"
Posted By: Lando Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 6:01pm
iCloud should let you get pictures back
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 7:32pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
ive told you the correct way to do it, its not a tooth, you dont leave it on top of the sky box or put it under your pillow, the friggin chinese fairys are not going to come and fix it for you.

do what i said, it will cost you £14 but will be fixed.

Hahaha......Thanks Ste...will pass your advice on.....unfortunately she had tried to turn it on a few times before she realised frown

P.S why Chinese fairys ??
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 7:34pm
Lando, she tried iCloud but all it brought up were all the apps she had on the phone and nothing else.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 7:43pm
Hi Doc...she's really not worried if the phone ends up trashed, she just wants all the stuff off it...do you have a shop we could bring it to for you to have a look at ?
Thanks
Posted By: kimpri Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 9:16pm
Hi Doc...she's really not worried if the phone ends up trashed, she just wants all the stuff off it...do you have a shop we could bring it to for you to have a look at ?
Thanks
see here, clicky smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: HELP...... - 2nd Aug 2013 9:18pm
it stems from that silly rice story sneezy, it was just a myth posted on a social networking site that went viral, hence everyone saying put it in a bag of rice.

should not of tryed turning it on but that doesn't mean to say its not salvageable, sure hope you get it working.

good luck.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 3rd Aug 2013 3:20pm
Thank You all for the advice you are all most helpful...hopefully will get it sorted and it all ends Happily Ever After smile x
Posted By: kendo Re: HELP...... - 3rd Aug 2013 5:41pm
Have you tried atichoo??????
Posted By: stumpyduck Re: HELP...... - 4th Aug 2013 12:19pm
iv used the rice method on a phone that got wet and it worked 100% .phone has worked every day since with no problems ,
fact

only advice would be ---be patient .
Posted By: Lando Re: HELP...... - 8th Aug 2013 3:31pm
Install I cloud to a pc they will all come up
Posted By: Sneezy Re: HELP...... - 8th Aug 2013 4:50pm
Originally Posted by Lando

She tried this and all it brought up was the Apps she had on the phone frown
Posted By: Lando Re: HELP...... - 13th Aug 2013 5:28pm
Originally Posted by Lando