Forums
Posted By: bert1 Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 3:59pm
Help required please,

I've been trying to connect to Sky Cloud without any luck,
I tick all the boxes as a Sky subscriber, so no problem there.
I'm beginning to think my Laptop is not compatible,
I'm not that savvy with this WiFi malarkey, I do operate wireless at home, does that mean I should be able to get Cloud or is there something else I need.
Where will I find if the laptop is compatible?
What I've posted below, does it make me compatible or is there something else I should have or need.

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

Attached picture network.JPG
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 5:26pm
yeah you need to go to somewhere that offers free WiFi

ie, costa, mcdonalds, etc
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 5:39pm
Thanks Tony,

Sorry if I gave the impression I am trying to connect from home, I went to a Hotspot, which the nearest is the Sportsmans, Prenton. The Cloud shows up on my internet access list , but My Laptop won't connect to it.
That's why I'm wondering if its compatible.
Posted By: Mark Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 6:11pm
This is a connection issue.
Your laptop will have the technology and hardware to connect.

Im not sure if you understand the cloud but its like a pc in the sky.

Wifi is what you use to connect to the cloud.

It seems to me you don't have the correct password to connect to your hotspot. If you dont have the correct password your never going to be able to connect and you will never connect to the cloud.

A hotspot can be a public wifi point but this does not mean just anyone can connect to it. You will need a password im sure of it. Open hotspots without a password are very few due to security reasons.

Do the following.
At home connect to your own wifi.
Now access the cloud.
You should see that it works because your on your own network where you have already entered the correct password so it seems seamless.

You need a password for hot spots normally.
Posted By: Mark Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 6:16pm
The cloud connection is like a mapped drive to the cloud.

Think of it this way.
Your cloud connection you have as a link is like the mersey tunnel its a link to Liverpool.

But if you dont pay to go threw the tunnel your never going to get there. You need to pay to get access. So in your case you need a wifi connection. Once you have that connection with the wifi the cloud link will start to work.

wink
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 6:53pm
Thanks Mark,

I can't access Sky Cloud from home, I need to be at a hotspot.
I have an ID and password, if only I could get that far to use it. Posted below is what is suppose to happen, I get as far as, Choose Cloud from list of available networks, which I do, and I can't go any further, comp says can not connect, so I can't open browser to go any further.

Attached picture sky.JPG
Posted By: Mark Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 7:16pm
Ok you need a sky hotspot.

You say you tried at the sportsmans ask what there wifi password is and you will then get a connection and then be able to access the cloud or your space.

Its a bit of a play on words skycloud.
You need a wifi connection first.

It works at home so you have proved its an outside connection that is needed.

Think of your hotspot like this.
If you came to my house you would ask if you could jump onto my wifi. I would say no problem its called myhouse.
You click on the wireless network myhouse.
Then you ask whats the password because your prompted for one. I give you the password and you enter it connecting to my wifi. Think of that as the same as connecting at the sportsmans or a hotspot you need the name and password to move forward.

You may not have a sky hotspot anywhere local to you or the pub.

Keep asking im sure you will get there.

Mark
Posted By: Mark Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 7:18pm
At home with a connection to the internet click that option that says hotspot finder. Then you will know exactly where your sky hot spots are.

Mark smile
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sky Cloud - 22nd Jul 2013 7:26pm
Thanks Mark,

The nearest Hotspot to me is about 400 yards as the crow flies, I can't pick it up from home, tomorrow I'll go to GALLAGHERS which is also a Hotspot and try your recommended course of action,

Cheers for your help
Posted By: bert1 Re: Sky Cloud - 24th Jul 2013 7:12am
Success,
Went to Gallaghers, parked outside and done exactly the same as I did at the Sportsmans and bingo, no problems.
Perhaps the Spotsmans cloud is dodgy.
Thanks for the help.
Posted By: ShaunTheSheep Re: Sky Cloud - 24th Jul 2013 8:57am
As a Karaoke DJ, i occasionally use Cloud and have also had problems in the past using it. Cloud runs of businesses sky tv. They could have technical issues or even running late with their bill in which they could be cut off.

Just try again and you may have success
© Wirral-Wikiwirral