Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Web site builders - 17th Jul 2013 10:53pm
Is there any one that is good with building web sites on here.

I need a web site building, there is one set up already but its not very good, and the person who set it up charges £100 per year, and does hardly anything to update it, it is a free website, so he charges £100 per year to do nothing.

I have set another one up but yet again it's another free one.

We are after a .co.uk site.

I will not give site address on here until the add on wiki has gone live.

But if you pm me i will give you web site address so you can see what type of site we require.

One thing I will say, once the site is set up, I require the user details of the site to be given to me, so I can update the site as and when required, i.e new prices special offers etc etc.

So any payment you get would just be for setting up site not the upkeep of it.
Posted By: Jake_ Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 12:40am
Originally Posted by Willo_
Is there any one that is good with building web sites on here.

I need a web site building, there is one set up already but its not very good, and the person who set it up charges £100 per year, and does hardly anything to update it, it is a free website, so he charges £100 per year to do nothing.

I have set another one up but yet again it's another free one.

We are after a .co.uk site.

I will not give site address on here until the add on wiki has gone live.

But if you pm me i will give you web site address so you can see what type of site we require.

One thing I will say, once the site is set up, I require the user details of the site to be given to me, so I can update the site as and when required, i.e new prices special offers etc etc.

So any payment you get would just be for setting up site not the upkeep of it.

I used to do it as a living, now I'm a systems engineer, As for the £100 a year, I imagine that is for webhosting (disk space/bandwidth/server use) not for upkeeping of the site. There are many free webhosting companies out there that will give you this for free, but not recommended for e-commerce/high trafficed websites. If you're looking for a .co.uk domain, one will not be given to you for free, they cost about on average, £6.00 a year for the domain itself. As for the design of the website, depending on what you need, if you just need HTML/CSS then it's relatively cheap, but if you need a backend coded in PHP, then you're looking at a higher price. I'd recommend taking a look at www.webhostingtalk.com - there's plenty of people there who do it, and do it as reasonable prices.
Posted By: ajaxaja Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 2:54am
A 'free' website with a 'free' host is pointless, unless that site is a personal or hobby site that does not require to be listed in search engines. You want people to find your site, right?

as jake advised, a .co.uk domain would cost around £6 for two years. you can find cheaper... such as £6 for two years...
A suggestion would be to protect your name in .com - .net - .org - .info - .eu effectively having numerous websites if you want.

to host your website on a webserver would cost you around £60 a year for the cheapest shared hosting. i would strongly advise you to not use free hosting services. if your business allows it and if it is a primarily internet based business then you should think about upgrading from my suggestion of a shared host and use a dedicated server (or a vps if your budget wont stretch to dedicated)

you mention user details to be given to you... ideally, you should register the .co.uk domain name yourself - so you alone are responsible for the login. if you choose a programmer to create your site, then you can update the domain name yourself to connect it to the server. (as easy as copying and pasting ip numbers etc)

i can do this work for you but im not cheap... but as ever, you get what you pay for!

once your website is live, you then need to start thinking about search engine optimisation. something a lot of website developers overlook. no point in having a nice site if nobody is going to find it in search!

btw- my username ajax.. i do some sites using ajax but seo compliant.
Posted By: Mark Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 8:07am
hi willow
you may be getting confused between web hosting and web design 2 different processes. give me a call and I can advise the best way forward.

As getting away from a hosting company and moving domains is a mine field.

Mark
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 11:02am
I've had the NWEX domain name and hosting with Fuzioned / Ariotek since it was created, and been really happy with their service and price.

Get their basic package then install Wordpress, that's a pretty easy to setup and maintain system.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 11:51am
Once I have had a word with my boss, I will contact you mark.
Posted By: rainman Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 9:15pm
Its just a matter of pointing the domain at the new Nameserver 1 and Nameserver 2 if your getting a package away from were you regged the domain name .. msg me if you dont get sorted i will help if needed
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 9:38pm
Am actually in process of setting up a web site at the moment, its a free one, but will have a .co.uk address

Its only a temp one until a decent one is set up.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Web site builders - 18th Jul 2013 10:49pm
Originally Posted by Willo_
Am actually in process of setting up a web site at the moment, its a free one, but will have a .co.uk address Its only a temp one until a decent one is set up.

Who with ?

I started one with Weebly not got that far yet...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral