Forums
Posted By: TudorBlue BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 12:14pm
Anyone know if and when BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic broadband is coming to the wirral areas such as Leasowe and Moreton??? I know certain areas of wirral has vigin media but we dont havbe it in Leasowe frown Tried to call BT but gave up after 20 mins of being on hold. Thanks in advance guys
I've got it in Egremont. Steady 35MbPS

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/infinity#services-checker

Use that link to check on the availability of Infinity in your area. If it's not available yet, it'll link you to an agenda of the surrounding areas and exchanges and give you an approximate date.
Posted By: Mark Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 2:49pm
BT have been laying new cable at the start of Reeds lane near aldi.
Posted By: j_demo Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 3:40pm
i've got plusnet fibre optic in new brighton, average speeds of 42mbps which i'm more than happy with especially as i'm a regular xbox live user xD
I'm in Seacombe and there is loads with FTTC but amazing the one by the baths isn't done yet, wish they'd hurry up
Posted By: Pinkyroo Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 5:22pm
I'm in Leasowe got my infinity installed about 4 wks ago.
Posted By: Bobario Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 5:27pm
I'm in Leasowe and get Sky Fibre. Its only fttc at the moment, but its still much faster than adsl. I'm on the Wallasey exchange by the way, i dont know if the other end of the estate uses an exchange in moreton or upton or something. The cabinet is by our ladys church gardenside.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 7:38pm
From the Sam Knows web site, Arrowebrook Exchange is that near you ? if not search for your exchange via the main site

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LVARR

Main Site
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
Posted By: Norton Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 8:23pm
You could also try

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Enter your postcode, check anywhere in the UK on the map.
Also has downloadable Excel and PDF files of where and when.
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 19th Jun 2013 10:38pm
Originally Posted by Pinkyroo
I'm in Leasowe got my infinity installed about 4 wks ago.

Hmmm its not in my road, which is Frobisher Road.....YET, the next time I see an engineer I'll ask him
Looks like Fibre Optic is about to be layed/installed in my road as openreach have dug up the pavement by the junction box, cabinet. I will be upgrading once its up and running properly if its worth it. Is it as good as they it is?? What kid of speeds are people getting? I live in leasowe, (frobisher road). Sky are rolling fibre optic out atm, is sky better then BT???
Posted By: Bobario Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 4th Jul 2013 5:32pm
I've got Sky Fibre. I find it much better than standard broadband and its about 15 times faster than my old ADSL. I have no problem with Sky, it does what its supposed to and is very rarely down. I got it as part of my Sky TV package, so its a bit cheaper than BT and unlike some providers, it's truly unlimited. I get about 30 meg at the minute but apparently I could get up to 40 meg with Sky Fibre Pro. I have no experience with BT Infinity so someone else will have to clue you in on that.
Originally Posted by TudorBlue
Looks like Fibre Optic is about to be layed/installed in my road as openreach have dug up the pavement by the junction box, cabinet. I will be upgrading once its up and running properly if its worth it. Is it as good as they it is?? What kid of speeds are people getting? I live in leasowe, (frobisher road). Sky are rolling fibre optic out atm, is sky better then BT???
The new cab went in the end of my road end of May. The projected availability date on the BT Wholesale website is December 2013.
The new cab has been at the end of Frobisher road for about 2 weeks. Anyone know when the fibre optic will be going live???? Thanks guys
The SamKnows website says you're connected to the Wallasey exchange. So it should just be a matter of however long it takes Openreach to outfit the cab.

On the off chance SamKnows is wrong, and you're connected to Arrowebrook (Upton) or Hoylake exchanges instead; the forecast go live at both those exchanges is December 2013.
Just been on the official bt website forum and one of trhe so called bt experts reckons it may be weeks or months. Im sick of paying O2 £36.00 a month for call and broadband. Im going to switch to someone like talk talk or plusnet until the fibre is up and running. Anyone else use plusnet? Any good???Thanks again guys
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 31st Jul 2013 11:58pm
The fibre optic is going live in my road sometime between august and September (estimated).
Posted By: Papermaker Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 16th Sep 2013 12:02pm
where abouts is your road, approximately, I live toward Castleway and am waiting to upgrade

Cheers
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 16th Sep 2013 12:05pm
Im getting bt infinity installed this Thursday morning. Had to book the day off so I hope everything goes ahead. Its off Raleigh road. Just check your post codee and telephone number on the bt, sky websites. Talk talk, plusnet also have checkers.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 16th Sep 2013 12:11pm
Just been on the official bt website forum and one of trhe so called bt experts reckons it may be weeks or months. Im sick of paying O2 £36.00 a month for call and broadband. Im going to switch to someone like talk talk or plusnet until the fibre is up and running. Anyone else use plusnet? Any good???Thanks again guys
Talk Talk would be the best one.They are really good i haven t had any problems with them so far.
Hi....thanks..yeah done that, so far it just says not available, guess it must be soon though. Can't wait, had to put with 2 meg for years
Originally Posted by Papermaker
Hi....thanks..yeah done that, so far it just says not available, guess it must be soon though. Can't wait, had to put with 2 meg for years

Next time you see an open reach engineer, stop them and ask them. Once the cab in my road was installed it was about two weeks before it went live.
LoL...will try that, will junp in front of the 1st van that passes. Seriously, though...good idea, will look out for one
Posted By: Moonstar Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 16th Sep 2013 9:21pm
According to TalkTalk fibre is available to me. Having looked at Sky, who I am with currently, they want another £20 per month and £50 for a new box.

Surely this is not right?
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 16th Sep 2013 10:37pm
Originally Posted by Moonstar
According to TalkTalk fibre is available to me. Having looked at Sky, who I am with currently, they want another £20 per month and £50 for a new box.

Surely this is not right?

Theres a few big companies offering some decent deals atm so you dont have to go with Sky. I have gone with BT infinity but thats my personal choice. My neighbour has gone with Talk Talk and he is over the moon with it. Plusnet might also be worth looking at. Check on their websites.
Had fibre optic installed yesterday and wow, what a difference. Im connecting at around 73mb. Brilliant, no more having to leave the xbox on all day whilst my son downloads demos and stuff.
I am assuming all those with fibre optic installed in Leasowe are those on the Wallasey exchange? Sadly I am on Arrowebrook and it seems it won't be available until March next year there. Those on the Wallasey exchange must be as far from that as I am from Upton - and used to getting pretty rubbish speeds on ADSL? So those fibre optic speeds are excellent.
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 22nd Sep 2013 11:41pm
Originally Posted by intouchuk
I am assuming all those with fibre optic installed in Leasowe are those on the Wallasey exchange? Sadly I am on Arrowebrook and it seems it won't be available until March next year there. Those on the Wallasey exchange must be as far from that as I am from Upton - and used to getting pretty rubbish speeds on ADSL? So those fibre optic speeds are excellent.

Im on the wallasey exchange. I used to get between 3 and 4 meg. Moving to BT Infity was the best things Ive done. Im getting 73mb download speeds. Highly recommended. So far so good. Isnt upton a Virgin Media area?? My sister lives in Upton and ison Virgin. Shes getting 60mb dl speed.
Posted By: intouchuk Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 24th Sep 2013 12:49pm
Sorry, I live in Leasowe, the exchange is in Upton. So no Virgin for me. I am only getting about 2mb at the moment.
Originally Posted by intouchuk
Sorry, I live in Leasowe, the exchange is in Upton. So no Virgin for me. I am only getting about 2mb at the moment.

Where about in leasowe are you?? Im definateely on the wallasey excahnge, have you checked on the openreach website??

Check your excahnge

I'm down past Castleway, so that's the cut off point for the Wallasey exchange and the start of Arrowebrook frown I did check on Openreach and it said March 2014 for my cabinet!
Checked Sam Knows today and it states Arrowebrook is now accepting orders, however my availability check still says no.
I did find that I am supplied by CABINET 45, wherever that is. I also found this info below :-

BT Infinity has reached my area, but the availability checker says I can't get it?

When I look on the Openreach site, it says my local exchange is "accepting orders", but when I check the bt.com line checker I still can't get BT Infinity - why is this?
When Openreach declare an exchange is "accepting orders" this means that the exchange is ready to accept orders from all communications providers for fibre broadband services, such as BT Infinity.

However, even though an exchange may be "accepting orders", work on installing fibre in all the cabinets around the exchange area may not have been completed yet, and this takes time.

If the bt.com availability checker continues to say that you can't get BT Infinity, you should still be aware that not everyone who is served by a cabinet that is enabled for fibre broadband will be able to get BT Infinity. If you can't get it, it is likely that you are too far away from the cabinet.

Equally, there will also always be a number of cabinets in an exchange area which are not economically viable to upgrade to fibre. Your cabinet may be one of these. In some cases it could even take a government subsidy to bring superfast fibre broadband to you.

Information about your local situation can often be found on your County Council's website under Broadband Development UK (BDUK).
Posted By: txt3rob Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 2nd Oct 2013 1:12pm
for any one one the caldy exchange like me:

Fibre optic broadband is estimated to be in your area between October 2013 and December 2013.

and never touch talktalk AT ALL.

pain in the rear spent 1 hr talking to them only for them to find out I was correct and had already done what they wanted before i called! told them i was an IT engineer and knew the ADSL was not synced! but nooooooooo i had to dance like a monkey for them!
Posted By: Spookie Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 2nd Oct 2013 2:27pm
Checked Sam Knows today and it states Arrowebrook is now accepting orders, however my availability check still says no.
I did find that I am supplied by CABINET 45, wherever that is. I also found this info below :-

Hi all,

I've been following this thread since I've discovered it a few weeks ago and with the enabling of the exchange I though I'd post what I've found out so far. I've spoke to a BT Openreach back in July when I discovered the new FTTC cab opposite SPAR (round the corner from the existing one, it has vents) now they have told me:

"Thank you for your enquiry. You are connected to the Arrowebrook Exchange, cabinet 45.

Our systems indicate that work is ongoing with the deployment of your cabinet and, if all goes to plan, we are hopeful the cabinet will be ready for service early October 2013, barring any complications."

Obviously the exchange is now enabled and from my research exchanges are enabled when there are 10 cabs ready to go. These appear to be in Gresby area (I guess Leasowe wasn't deemed affluent enough by BT and take up wouldn't be so quick!) Now even though, as I mentioned before, the cab is installed there might still need to be additional work that needs to be done. So here comes the bad news:

"That's BT for you. BT will never rushing into this. They always keeping us in the dark. I had a friend who live in Wolverhampton as his exchange already enabled for FTTC but his cabinet (FTTC) stood there for 11 months (even he hear the fan is on) and cannot accepting order until 11 months! It a joke really" (Thinkbroadband user)

So it could be another year till we get acceptable broadband and as I'm sure many of you living in Leasowe know Virgin apparently doesn't have us on a map and refuse to expand their network. So with BT having absolutely no competition to worry about they can take their damn sweet time about it.

The only way I can see us influencing things is by:

• Asking folks to contact openreach to make us seem more viable - nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk
  • Registering with the BT Infinity website for updates

Failing that the only other option is moving! Sorry for the bad news folks. frown
Good info, and as you say, maybe soon, may take forever, but at least I don't have to wander the streets looking for the famous CABINET 45 anymore !!

BT Infinity has reached my area, but the availability checker says I can't get it?

When I look on the Openreach site, it says my local exchange is "accepting orders", but when I check the bt.com line checker I still can't get BT Infinity - why is this?
When Openreach declare an exchange is "accepting orders" this means that the exchange is ready to accept orders from all communications providers for fibre broadband services, such as BT Infinity.

However, even though an exchange may be "accepting orders", work on installing fibre in all the cabinets around the exchange area may not have been completed yet, and this takes time.

If the bt.com availability checker continues to say that you can't get BT Infinity, you should still be aware that not everyone who is served by a cabinet that is enabled for fibre broadband will be able to get BT Infinity. If you can't get it, it is likely that you are too far away from the cabinet.

Equally, there will also always be a number of cabinets in an exchange area which are not economically viable to upgrade to fibre. Your cabinet may be one of these. In some cases it could even take a government subsidy to bring superfast fibre broadband to you.

Information about your local situation can often be found on your County Council's website under Broadband Development UK (BDUK).

Im on the wallsey exchange and this had been taking orders for a long while before I could actually get fibre optic. It went live in new brighton well over 12 months ago. I kept on looking on the openreach site and it always came back as fibre not in my area. used to do my head in then I got talking to the openreach engineers as they laid the new fibre cable, then a week or so later, they installed the new CAB over the road from me then it was about 2 weeks after the cab had been installed that the fibre went live. As soon as it went live, I placed my order (more or less). From the time I placed my order to actually getting it installed by an engineer, it was about 2 weeks. BTW, Fibre companies will tell you the install will take three hours, mine was installed in 10 mins.
Originally Posted by Spookie

Hi all,

I've been following this thread since I've discovered it a few weeks ago and with the enabling of the exchange I though I'd post what I've found out so far. I've spoke to a BT Openreach back in July when I discovered the new FTTC cab opposite SPAR (round the corner from the existing one, it has vents) now they have told me:

"Thank you for your enquiry. You are connected to the Arrowebrook Exchange, cabinet 45.

Our systems indicate that work is ongoing with the deployment of your cabinet and, if all goes to plan, we are hopeful the cabinet will be ready for service early October 2013, barring any complications."

Thanks for that information. I am also connected to the infamous Cabinet 45 and wondered where it was. wink Availability still not showing up on any ISP sites even though Openreach says Arrowebrook is accepting orders (from the ISPs, not public?). Openreach gives approximate dates (Oct13-March14) and I've registered my interest.
Posted By: Spookie Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 9th Oct 2013 7:06pm
On my way to work today I noticed a BT Openreach Engineer working outside Manor Bakeries. Looks like be might have been connecting the recently laid fiber from the cab to what might be the blown fibre from the bottom of Reeds Lane. Didn't have time to ask him. But it looks like, at least, work is still continuing on getting us a proper internet connection at last.
I have Virgin Cable and get 60Mbps. I have noticed an awful lot of new green street cabinets being installed around New Ferry/Bebington/ and Rock Ferry. I assume they are BT's, installed for the new fibre network.

Maybe there'll be a bit of competition which will take prices down a bit. I certainly don't need more speed. Better reliability would be nice. I've had two outages lasting hours or days in the last few months.
Posted By: Spookie Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 21st Oct 2013 4:29pm
So I contacted BT on the 1st of October and in typical BT fashion it took till today till they got back to me.

"As such, if all works go to plan and we don’t encounter any problems, we are predicting that the cabinet will go live for fibre broadband in late December."

More waiting then! smirk
I mailed them as well, early October, will post the response here when I get it
Posted By: Sean1983 Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 23rd Oct 2013 11:43am
I think i will stick with my Virgin Media 120Mbps,

[Linked Image]
I mailed them as well, early October, will post the response here when I get it

If I lived in a virgin media area Id have it. The fibre optic speed is good enough for me. I connect at around 72mb to 75mb. No issues so far, its spot on
Posted By: Excoriator Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 23rd Oct 2013 10:01pm
In practical terms I found very little difference between 30MB/sec and 60MB/sec after Virgin doubled it last year. On testing it it is indeed twice as fast, but downloads tend to be limited by the speed at which the server at the far end can supply data, and their reaction time when you initiate a download is of course unchanged. The result is that it doesn't SEEM twice as fast. It feels about the same.

Upload speed is a lot lower. I get 3MB/sec so if I'm sending data sending it's very slow indeed.
Got this Email from Sky today, although on checking, I am still not available, but it must be getting close now !!

Good news - we've started connecting your area to the Sky Fibre network. We wanted to let you know straight away and invite you to check if Sky Fibre is available at your address.

If you can't get it just yet, don't worry - we're busy making superfast Sky Fibre available to more and more homes in your area. As soon as we're done we'll be back in touch, but feel free to keep checking for yourself in the meantime.

Kind regards,

The Sky Broadband Team
Did a fibre optics installation course years ago, it does only take 10 mins to connect to the cab.
Posted By: reelcrazy Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 29th Oct 2013 12:58pm
My closest cabinet (45) is at the end of Blackheath Drive, just on Reeds Lane.

I saw an openreach guy tinkering around by the cabinet the other day so I asked him how much longer it was going to take.

He said by the end of the year but don't be surprised if it comes online next month!

I forgot to ask him why this cabinet at the end of Blackheath was still an old one though (doh!).
Originally Posted by reelcrazy
My closest cabinet (45) is at the end of Blackheath Drive, just on Reeds Lane.

I saw an openreach guy tinkering around by the cabinet the other day so I asked him how much longer it was going to take.

He said by the end of the year but don't be surprised if it comes online next month!

I forgot to ask him why this cabinet at the end of Blackheath was still an old one though (doh!).

Usually new cabs are close to the older cabs as its fiber to the new cabs then from the new cab to the old cab then to the property
Hi Fellow Cabinet 45'ers:-
Here's my reply from OpenReach

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry about fibre broadband, you are connected to Arrowebrook exchange cabinet 45. When rolling out fibre broadband, we don’t necessarily upgrade all the deployable cabinets at the same time. This may be for our planning or local planning reasons, engineering resource or technical issues. If all build works go to plan and we don’t encounter any problems whilst installing the cabinet, we are expecting to go live in late February ’14.

That's 3 different dates, quoted on this thread.
They're just making it up aren't they mad
Posted By: Mark Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 1st Nov 2013 9:48pm
Its only Fiber to the Cab.
Yes your speed will improve but its not to your door smile
Distance from the cab will make a difference to speed the further away you are.

Posted By: Spookie Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 6th Jan 2014 8:54pm
Infinity has arrived for some more folks at Leasowe with some of the cabs being connected up (one next to the re-named SPAR is definitely on). Most of Reeds Lane seems connected up till the castle. Castleway South and North is still not connected though. It's three months late but it's almost here for all of us.
Posted By: Emeeh Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 7th Jan 2014 9:09am

Next time you see an open reach engineer, stop them and ask them. Once the cab in my road was installed it was about two weeks before it went live.

There really wouldn't be much point. The engineers in vans are very poorly trained and paid and certainly won't have info such as this - I'd call up.
Posted By: Emeeh Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 7th Jan 2014 9:18am
Wonder where internet speeds will stop?

I'm on a 120gb Virgin package which doesn't actually connect at that speed, usually around 80-90gb but who needs more for home use?
Posted By: Spookie Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 7th Jan 2014 5:27pm
Originally Posted by Emeeh
Wonder where internet speeds will stop?

I'm on a 120gb Virgin package which doesn't actually connect at that speed, usually around 80-90gb but who needs more for home use?

It'll be required eventually: that is if you want to try streaming a 4/8k movie to your TV for example because regular Freeview won't have the bandwidth for such a service.
Posted By: Spookie Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 9th Jan 2014 7:06pm
After taking inspiration from another person who contacted the CEO of Openreach to get a more clear answer, about the current state of things in their area, I did the same.

The answer is quite disappointing though, my reply came from Richard who is the project director for Wales & the Wirral:

(In regards to Cab 45) The first attempt to stand the Dslam unfortunately failed due to unsuitable location.
The Openreach team have now agreed a second location with the Wirral local authority and its programmed to be built in February, usually if all goes well with the location we will then complete ready for orders approx. 6 weeks after the stand date.

So basically it means more delays and we could go past the existing estimated date of March. So it appears we're staying in the stone age for a few months longer.
Cabinet 45 is finally in the process of being built.

You can see it at the corner of Blackheath Drive and Reeds Lane.

Posted By: txt3rob Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 15th May 2014 10:54am
[Linked Image]

ermmmmmm yeah so heswall
Posted By: txt3rob Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 15th May 2014 10:55am
caldy exchange date changed again: RFS date set : 30/06/2014
Posted By: Moonstar Re: BT Infiniti/Fibre Optic Broadband in Wirral - 15th May 2014 11:04am
I'm just grateful I no longer have to dial-up!
Not wanting to brag or anything, but.... have now moved house from Cabinet 45 area, and now have 70 meg broadband, trust me it's worth waiting for, good luck to all Old Cab 45'ers.
Reactivating this old thread... does anyone now if Cabinet 45 is any closer to being live? A local councillor contacted BT and she got the same old story... it will be live between October and December this year - isn't that what we were told last year?
© Wirral-Wikiwirral