Forums
Posted By: organiser laptop screen not connected - 18th May 2013 4:53pm
have a laptop which works fine but the screen part has come adrift fromit...estimate to fix £100..is there any way I can use the laptop by connecting it to another monitor..... thank you
Posted By: eggandchips Re: laptop screen not connected - 18th May 2013 6:18pm
pm the_dr on here, ask him for a price
Posted By: stanb Re: laptop screen not connected - 18th May 2013 7:02pm
laptop can be connected to a different monitor quite easily.why not try using it with tv with hdmi cable.
Posted By: organiser Re: laptop screen not connected - 18th May 2013 8:30pm
Thanks Stan will get one to try
Posted By: Mark Re: laptop screen not connected - 18th May 2013 9:29pm
Yes all laptops have a VGA connection or HDMI output.
Just plug it into a monitor.

Laptop now becomes a slim desktop pc smile

I had the same issue a few years ago, it was just not economical to pay for it to be repaired. If you look at the cost of monitors you can get your self a nice new monitor for a little over £50.
Posted By: TheDr Re: laptop screen not connected - 18th May 2013 11:35pm
I have a REALLY high end laptop that had been REALLY badly damaged, and to fit a new screen would have meant an entire new housing, base panel, plus hinges and arms, keyboard, ribbons etc. along with this the case was such that the power supply couldn't be plugged in, almost threw it away.

Instead soldered a power supply to the board, connected it to my TV with a HDMI cable and put a dongle for a wireless keyboard/mouse combo in a working USB port.

It's hidden away so looks don't matter and means I have Internet on the big screen. There is always a way round things smile
Posted By: organiser Re: laptop screen not connected - 19th May 2013 4:55am
Thanks Mark and the Dr
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: laptop screen not connected - 20th May 2013 8:18am
I've got a cheap Toshiba with a smashed screen, it wasn't worth the cost of repair, so like Mark and TheDr, I took it apart, disconnected and removed the screen and used it with a separate small screen as a media player in the kitchen.

The only issue I had was the wifi aerials were in the screen surround, so as the screen is now gone they just dangle out of the back, other than that, it works just like a normal PC but with built in UPS if I needed it.

I have got another identical Toshiba laptop with a broken screen that I am planning on doing the same to that I might use in the car as a media center.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral