Forums
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 4:28pm
Yes yes I know!!! stupid flippin woman ! Anyway took it all apart straight away...dried as much as I could and its now sitting in a bowl of rice. Anything else I should do? How long should i leave it?

TheMrs
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 4:30pm
A dash of Peri-Peri sauce might be nice.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 4:43pm
Leave it somewhere warm in a SEALED BAG of rice for about a week. On top of a sky or virgin media satellite box usually warms it up without getting too hot.

Dont turn it on and leave it disassembled for as long as poss.

If its an expensive phone, the most gut wrenching but preferable way of getting the moisture out of it is to strip it and dip it in a bath of pure alcohol (Not beer ha ha). this repels the moisture from the phone. Then leave it in a bag of rice to be sure. This method stops the circuits in the phone from corroding. Depends on how valuable the phone is though.

Its it fairly low tech phone, it may work wothout rice by leaving it on a radiator for a day or two.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 4:52pm
Its a Blackberry Bold..bout halfway thru a 2 year contract Have got it in a bowl of rice covered in clingfilm on my window ledge and my fingers crossed. Gutted

TheMrs
Posted By: pebbles16 Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 5:00pm
I have a samsung touch screen phone, which my daughter has dropped in the bath twice now. I have been lucky that it has dried out just by putting it on the radiator overnight. It took a while to recognise the SIM card, so I just used kitchen roll to absorb the moisture.
Posted By: Pinkyroo Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 6:42pm
I dropped my iPhone 4S in cup of coffee put it in bag of rice overnight it was fine! Hope urs drys out ok.
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 8:00pm
One more tip: don't eat the rice afterwards. wink
Posted By: sam_w Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 28th Mar 2013 8:26pm
I did this to my S2 last year, took it apart wrapped it in a towel and left it on a radiator over night. Worked perfect the next day smile
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 29th Mar 2013 8:03am
Woohoo it works !!! yipee yipee bananadance bananadance

Thanks all

TheMrs
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Dropped my phone down the loo :( - 30th Mar 2013 11:10am
General advice for phones etc. dropped into water.

1. Remove the battery ASAP. This is vital.
2. If it's fallen into anything other than fresh water, wash it in fresh water. This is particularly important if it's sea water. Salt will cause corrosion. You may just get away with it from fresh water if you ast quickly.
3. Dry it as well as you can with a towel.
4. Put it in a tupperware container or similar with some fresh silica gel. (Much better than rice, but rice is better than nothing) Once every day or so, remove the silica gel, warm it up in a low oven to dry it out, return it to the sealed container and phone.
5. After a few days, put the battery back and try it out. If nothing, remove the battery and continue drying.

No guarantees, but I've had good results in the few times I've done this.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral