Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 10:53am
I have a brand new laptop with windows 8, with a touch screen.

Is it possable to wipe win 8 of and put win 7 on it, will there be any problems after.

If this can be done any details of a shop that can do this, and they would need to supply win 7 disc and code.

Am asking for a friend, so i will pass all replies on to him.
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 11:28am
What is it you don't like about 8? Most of the features that make it different from 7 can either be disabled or dumped and it's quicker than 7.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 4:35pm
i thought 8 was designed for touch screen
Posted By: davew3 Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 5:23pm
I'm running windows 8 on my desktop, writing this comment, it's fast but I prefer the old style of windows 7 and I have that by using a program called classicshell you can downloaded it from Sourceforge, it allows you to set up various bits and gives you the start in the lhs corner, it can be uninstalled if needed.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 5:59pm
my friend wants win 8 off laptop and win 7 putting on, any where that can do this locally.
he is not intrested in installing stuff, and changing this that and the other.

He just wants win 8 off and win 7 on.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 6:00pm
To be fair, if you have a touch screen it would be better to try and embrace the start screen as once you remove the tiles you dont use and add your favourite programs there it is actually a lot more efficient, but as other have posted above you can use tools and software to make it more like windows 7 rather than going through the hassle of downgrading. But if you are certain you just want to downgrade, simply pop in a win 7 disc and boot it from startup, format the drive and install from scratch.

Buying a copy of windows 7 is a very costly way of getting the laptop to perform how he wants though I will admit.
Posted By: TheEpicSponge Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 7:40pm
As stated above, purchasing a new copy of Windows 7 is very expensive (£70 through the shop's suppliers) Then you'll have the hassle of finding all of the drivers to enable all of your hardware to work.

It is significantly more feasible to accept Windows 8 and install a few extra programs on there to try and take it back to Windows 7's appearance. I have Windows 8 on my work laptop and I can't really fault it, but I work in the industry, so naturally I have a rough idea how to use it from day one.

Stick with 8, it's cheaper and here to stay whether you like it or not I'm afraid.
Posted By: fillbo Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 8:04pm
I upgraded my Vista desk top PC to Win 8 and can't get IE to connect to any other site except MSN,on the desk top or on Metro.Win store will not connect.I've done a clean install from the backup DVD,tried all suggestions from Win help,refreshed and reset Win 8.Firefox works great but can't download anything that needs IE.Anything that needs to go through IE just times out.
Anybody have any ideas?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 8:34pm
Originally Posted by fillbo
I upgraded my Vista desk top PC to Win 8 and can't get IE to connect to any other site except MSN,on the desk top or on Metro.Win store will not connect.I've done a clean install from the backup DVD,tried all suggestions from Win help,refreshed and reset Win 8.Firefox works great but can't download anything that needs IE.Anything that needs to go through IE just times out.
Anybody have any ideas?

Can't help you with that one, as I don't use IE as I prefer Google Chrome so it's all I use, I would suggest you check security settings are not set to restricted and connections are not set proxy , just make sure they are empty and lan is set to automatic
Posted By: fillbo Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 8:50pm
Originally Posted by davew3
Originally Posted by fillbo
Anybody have any ideas?

Can't help you with that one, as I don't use IE as I prefer Google Chrome so it's all I use, I would suggest you check security settings are not set to restricted and connections are not set proxy , just make sure they are empty and lan is set to automatic

Checked all the above set as suggested.Cant get Google Chrome to work,acts the same as IE.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 12th Feb 2013 9:40pm
Bring Back Windows 3.1 And MSDOS 6.2 I Say
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Down grade Win 8 To Win 7 - 13th Feb 2013 11:25am
Too modern. CP/M is the way to go. I ran Wordstar on a Sinclair Spectrum!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral