Forums
Posted By: Willo_ What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 3:23pm
Just curious to know what broadband speeds people are getting, compared to what your isp says you can get.

Mine is 30mbs, here is what i get. [Linked Image]
Posted By: j_demo Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 3:38pm
at work here probably 2mbps because it's the NHS system and it's basic, but at home we get between 47 and 51mbps depending on time of day etc. (tested it last week) we're with plusnet's top fibre optic package
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 3:39pm
I'm with "TalkTalk"... should be renamed "CrapCrap"! I was told my line could handle 11MB's and I could expect at least 9MB download speed. I'm not even scraping 3MB!

[Linked Image]

And of course I've complained, but I just get told it's slow because my PC isn't hooked directly into the main socket, (behind the TV,) and that's the only socket TalkTalk are responsible for.
What cobblers! How many people have a PC behind their TV?! somad
Posted By: Willo_ Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 3:48pm
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
I'm with "TalkTalk"... should be renamed "CrapCrap"! I was told my line could handle 11MB's and I could expect at least 9MB download speed. I'm not even scraping 3MB!

[Linked Image]

And of course I've complained, but I just get told it's slow because my PC isn't hooked directly into the main socket, (behind the TV,) and that's the only socket TalkTalk are responsible for.
What cobblers! How many people have a PC behind their TV?! somad
its a wonder you can do anything with that. I bet you see alot of mr buffering
Posted By: pickle1984 Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 3:58pm
ping od 45ms download 19.86 and upload of 1.06mbs
Posted By: pickle1984 Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 3:59pm
and that was with 2 laptops using the net
[Linked Image]

Sky, not as good as what I thought ;(

Posted By: ck666 Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 4:25pm
[Linked Image]
Virgin are ok can struggle with youtube during peak times tho :s
Posted By: bazzoh Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 4:28pm
another talk talk thing
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 4:53pm
@BurgerChips: And Mr Lost Connection! thumbsdown
Posted By: SilentReader Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 5:28pm
[Linked Image]

I also have a ADSL2+ line from Bethere.co.uk get around 5mbps a second on that line but only using that for my servers which send a small amount of traffic
Posted By: j_demo Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 6:09pm
just pinged a 51.29mbps d/l speed and 23.22 u/l speed which isn't bad for this time of day or a 'budget' ISP (plusnet)
Posted By: motionspoon3 Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 6:14pm
[Linked Image]

BT Wifi/fon/hotspot...
No one got virgins 100 meg....?
Posted By: TheDr Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 7:30pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab

I have (120 I think), I'll run a check later and see what I get.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 8:25pm
Beat This...

Attached picture speed.jpg
Posted By: little_pob Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 8:44pm
Sky BB, on the Upton exchange: [Linked Image]
Posted By: SilentReader Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 8:59pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab

I have (120 I think), I'll run a check later and see what I get.

I'm on there 100mbps no 120mbps till may/july but only got 82megabytes a sec at tea time so can't complain
Posted By: IanPenny Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 9:17pm
Mine is rubbish :-(

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Salmon Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 8th Feb 2013 11:41pm
Goodness me I get 4.22 and 0.86 on Talk Talk which is more than fast enough for me but I have no interest in games.How do you cope with 100?
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 9th Feb 2013 12:03am
16 MB/s Down
1.1 MB/s Up

ISP: Talktalk

I'm about a mile from the BT Exchange at Frodsham
Posted By: BadWolf Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 9th Feb 2013 12:15am
[Linked Image]
Posted By: daveybm Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 9th Feb 2013 11:11am
[Linked Image]

Waiting for the upgrade to 120Mb down and 10Mb up due in the summer.

Dave
Posted By: Uffda Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 9th Feb 2013 12:03pm
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2496920967.png
I'm with Sky but was told by BT that the problem is that we are as far from the phone exchange as you can get which is why the speed is slow. Is this a load of crap?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 9th Feb 2013 2:16pm
I am with Orange and have had slow broadband for several years (around 650k against at least 2M promised) Same excuse- too far from the exchange. I persisted and Orange got BT to investigate. The BT engineers were very revealing and helpful. They changed the pair in the cable to the end of the road. This gave a small improvement, but not much. More hassling of Orange (from whom I rent the BT line) and BT returned, this time they changed the pair to the exchange. Instant improvement to around 4Meg; except between 0900 and 1015 each week day. It is significant that whilst BT, who own the lines, guarantee to mesintain their speeds, Orange don't guarantee any particular speed. To me non BT customers suffer at times of high demand so that BT maintain their customers speeds.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: What broadband speed are you getting. - 9th Feb 2013 5:40pm
I have the 100mb with virgin too and get similar results to daveybm above, that speedtest site is not always entirley 100% accurate though as there are a lot of variables that can effect the result, such as time of day and the server you are testing on etc... but overall I have always been on cable broadband since they first introduced it back in the 512kb days, I would never even think about going down the dsl route. I know BT do fibre optic like virgin now too but I have not tried them so couldn't comment on how reliable it is, however, the cable from ntl/virgin has always been solid as a rock, even if it costs a bit more to stick with virgin I would happily pay the extra.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral