Forums
Posted By: TudorBlue Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 9:18pm
Im having trouble tryiung to set my mates Virgin internet up(internet only). I have connected the routher to the modem then connected the router to his PC then restarted the pc, however I cannot get the internet up on the pc. If I plug the modem straight into the pc, the internet works fine. My mate wants to set up a wireless connection for his latop, ipad etc so any help with this will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys Here are some pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 9:22pm
pm sent as there are so many fail points.
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 9:26pm
Thinking out loud i guess the Router Net Gear is not in the correct mode. Maybe ?
Is it the wrong subnet or range ?

Is it a Hub or a Router
is it a ADSL Router
Is it an ex SKY router ?

Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 9:34pm
Its the stuff that virgin sent my mate. The virgin cable screws into the back of the modem then I I can connect an ethernet cable from the modem straight to the pc and the internet works.When I connect the modem to the router, Dlink Or the netgear, then connect the router to the pc, thats when the internet doesnt work. Spent 2 hrs at it before and felt I had had enough. Im not on virgin myself but I was going off the same principle as my connection at home and mine works a treat
Posted By: leylo Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 9:36pm
Virgin have been down since 11.00 today back on now that could be problem. Seems to be upton, Moreton greasby arrowbrook exchange
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 9:50pm
* ^^^^^^^ Could be the answer to all your problems wink
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 10:17pm

Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 10:19pm
The internet worked fine when the pc was plugged directly into the black modem, my mates internet was fine, the promlem lies between the router and pc
Posted By: futurepast Re: Virgin Media Set up - 23rd Jan 2013 10:36pm
Try a modem up grade, virgin has a new modem with an inbuilt router,could solve your problem
Posted By: casper Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 10:36am
Dont know if this is any help,I have a D link router, on this set up the white cable stays screwed into the modem then I have a lead from the modem to the router then from the router to my PC, this cable is plugged into the seperate socket away from the block of four the first socket from the white cable on your router, dont know if this makes sense but give it a try, lets know how you get on
Posted By: Mark Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 10:55am
That will help as he mentioned he also has a Dlink that has been set up. I was told via pm, your not missing any text.

Posted By: gibblet Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 11:08am
When you connect the modem to router are you restarting the modem and router as well as the PC?
You need to check the internet light on the router is green not orange. (the 3rd light from the left.
check the tick light is out.

if the above is all ok go to the command screen on your PC and see what the IP address is. should be something like 192.168.0.2 (although the 2 can be any number really.) if it is see if you can ping the router from the pc address 192.168.0.1 if you can next try pinging a website such as www.bbc.co.uk or www.google.co.uk
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 7:03pm
Originally Posted by casper
Dont know if this is any help,I have a D link router, on this set up the white cable stays screwed into the modem then I have a lead from the modem to the router then from the router to my PC, this cable is plugged into the seperate socket away from the block of four the first socket from the white cable on your router, dont know if this makes sense but give it a try, lets know how you get on

Thats how its set up. Im going to my mates on Monday for round 2. Forgot to mention, my mates got windows xp running on the pc in question
Posted By: casper Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 7:37pm
From the pictures it looked like you had the white cable in the router,so the set up is white cable into modem, blue cable from modem to router,and cable from router to pc, connection should light up green globe on router, make sure all connectors are pushed well in, good luck
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 8:17pm
Originally Posted by casper
From the pictures it looked like you had the white cable in the router,so the set up is white cable into modem, blue cable from modem to router,and cable from router to pc, connection should light up green globe on router, make sure all connectors are pushed well in, good luck

The white virgin cable is connected to the modem and not the router, its a screwed up connection. No way of attaching this cable to the router.
Posted By: gibblet Re: Virgin Media Set up - 24th Jan 2013 9:53pm
just tried to PM you but you seem to be full

Posted By: casper Re: Virgin Media Set up - 25th Jan 2013 7:42am
It just looks like you have a white cable in your hand by a screw in point on the back of the router in one of the pictures,the fault must lay in the other two cables have you tried swapping them around?
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Virgin Media Set up - 27th Jan 2013 10:34am
My daughter is having the same problem.
Modem by wire to pc or laptops works but when router is connected doesn't.She' bought another router off ebay - same problem.
I am hoping when I go out there to try her modems first(then maybe take another router and cd with it)

1 Make sure pc modem and router are all disconnected and switched off.
2 Connect modem wire to pc and switch on both.
3 Check there is an internet connection (she's on virgin)
4 switch pc and modem off and disconnecy wire from modem
5 Connect wire from modem to router and a wire from router to pc and switch them all on together

anymore suggestions

Haven't the foggiest what ping,pinging is

Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Virgin Media Set up - 27th Jan 2013 11:37am
this help?
Posted By: Raven61 Re: Virgin Media Set up - 27th Jan 2013 3:11pm
As Futurepast said, give Virgin a ring & ask for an upgrade to a super hub then you won't require a router. They should post one out to you for free depending which package you are on.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Virgin Media Set up - 27th Jan 2013 8:17pm
My daughter and I are very pleased got it up and running ok.
Think having the disk for the router (t link) helped more so than anything else.
The main pc by ethernet and some laptops by wireless
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Virgin Media Set up - 28th Jan 2013 7:49pm
Originally Posted by derekdwc
My daughter and I are very pleased got it up and running ok.
Think having the disk for the router (t link) helped more so than anything else.
The main pc by ethernet and some laptops by wireless

I've tried the cd that came with the clink. The process worked fine until the software tried to connect to the Internet. Couldn't connect. Back to square one for me
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Virgin Media Set up - 1st Mar 2013 2:26pm
going to my mates tonight to have another crack at it. hope i can sort it tonight
© Wirral-Wikiwirral