Forums
Posted By: kemirakid acer aspire 5742 - 1st Jan 2013 7:32pm
Hi,
I need help my sons back from uni with his laptop , which is just over 1 month out of warranty . It has started over heatingand turning off.Fan vents are clean . Any ideas?
Many Thanks
Posted By: eggandchips Re: acer aspire 5742 - 1st Jan 2013 8:24pm
are you sure the fans working?

sorry if it seems obvious
Posted By: Mark Re: acer aspire 5742 - 1st Jan 2013 8:38pm
If you can get into the bios check that the Cut off tempratures have not been lowered to say 70c the lower the temp cut off the sooner it will power off.

As above.
When you press the power button to Boot up from off you should have a fan blast before you see windows. Its like a self test to check if the fans can go to full power.

Hope that helps.
Posted By: TheDr Re: acer aspire 5742 - 1st Jan 2013 8:50pm
If he's been using it on his bed, or on his lap, chances are the thermal paste has dried out and it's now acting more as an insulator rather than a conductor.

It needs the heatsink removing, the old paste cleaning off and new applying.

This is something to do sooner rather than later as its cutting off to prevent damage from the heat it's getting, it'll work for so long and hen the CPU can fail.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: acer aspire 5742 - 2nd Jan 2013 12:28am
Aye and put it on a book as the ventilation on these are crap.

I have one and it only cuts out if it gets really hot.

You should always use it on a flat surface to avoid overheating.

Don't open it up yourself as you will not get it back together and you will damage the plastic that holds the screws in, these have a common fault with the front screws coming away that secure the bottom plastic cover to the top of keyboard corners.
Posted By: lemoncake Re: acer aspire 5742 - 2nd Jan 2013 1:24pm
If you can't sort it yourself the staff in computer 64 in Moreton give a very good service, and charge reasonable prices too. I found them to be very friendly.
Posted By: reddragon Re: acer aspire 5742 - 2nd Jan 2013 1:42pm
and if your in Poundland / world they have laptop coolers in there you can sit your laptop on and I refuse to answer the obvious question "how much are they?" lol
© Wirral-Wikiwirral