Posted By: derekdwc Sata/ide hard drive docking station - 27th Dec 2012 11:51am
Just sent off to Amazon for one of these -
SHARKOON QuickPort Combo for SATA HDD and IDE Device
Sounds ideal for testing suspected broken hd or old ones for info on them

Anyone else got one?

I hope it does all it says on the box.
If it does I won't be buying anymore external hard drive cases

clicky
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Sata/ide hard drive docking station - 27th Dec 2012 12:21pm
I might treat myself to one of those, i've got so many hard drives knocking around that i've had for years. It would be nice to see whats on them.
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: Sata/ide hard drive docking station - 27th Dec 2012 1:08pm
And me, it's got some good reviews.

Derek let us know what you think.

I've quite a few old Hard Drives, I've bought a Caddy and keep swapping the Hard Drives around, this seems like the answer.
Posted By: Mark Re: Sata/ide hard drive docking station - 27th Dec 2012 3:26pm
It's one thing having the tools, it's knowing how to fix the problem.

Yes you can image drives with these, but unless you understand the options for a repair, you can end up wiping everything.

Software and Hardware problems are not the same. No caddie will fix a hardware problem.

Derek,
I'm assuming your wanting to examin hard drive contents. If that is so then a simple USB IDE/Sata lead would have done the same for about half the price or less.

Hang on £4
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-SATA...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1356621293&sr=1-2

Example
If your old hard drive has say windows 7 on it and you want to read the contents of my documents, then there is a real chance you can not due to the permissions set on the folders. Again it's one thing having the tools, it's another not wiping out the contents.

Where I see this item being useful is if you have several wiped hard drives and for convenience being able to Hot Swop the Drives to add content could be very handy.

Don't buy this if you think it's going to fix a hard drive out the box, you need special software. I hope that helps.

I've used both, there both good at what they do... They will both do the same job just one is more desk top presentable.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Sata/ide hard drive docking station - 27th Dec 2012 5:30pm
Just remember IDE drives are not "hot swappable", i.e. they shouldn't have their power removed whilst spinning, and especially not whilst being read.

You'll have to eject the host from Windows then power down the dock to minimise any problems.

Also be careful not to touch the circuit board of any drive whilst power is applied to it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral