Forums
Posted By: TheDr iOS 6 - 19th Sep 2012 8:29pm
Well I've been playing with iOS for a while now, and at first glance I'm very impressed.

SIRI actually does something now apart from dial numbers, you can get it to find shops, types of shop, takeaways (very important) or just ask how to get to xyz and it'll give you a map. Unfortunately, despite being told to go there several times, it doesn't know where Hell is, but can give me 14 places called Heaven nearby (I daren't look).

If you use your PC/iTunes to update you do need to make sure your backup is in place, but straight from the phone it works fine and carries on where you left off.

Once you've downloaded it you do need to have a minimum of 50% battery (or be connected to a power source) or it won't install (yes I've installed this on several devices in different ways).

It seems to be a little bit quicker and smoother, but that might just be me, the resolution is definitely sharper though.

The EE symbol (Everything Everywhere) in the signal bar is a bit strange, I'll find out soon how much quicker it really is.

It doesn't ask for your password for app updates any more either, and I've heard that you don't need it for free apps either, but I haven't checked that yet.

It has frozen once partway through app updates, but pressing the power key for a second took it straight out.

The new maps icon looks a lot like the old Google one, but is totally different, I'll try it as a sat Nav tomorrow and see if it's saved me the cost of a TomTom app.
Posted By: MikeT Re: iOS 6 - 20th Sep 2012 6:54am
Installed on an iPhone 3GS, so I only got some of the new features. Don't care about FaceTime and Siri.

Speed seems about the same, perhaps a little smoother.

The new Apple Maps - first search for Blackpool took me to Blackpool, Devon, quite some way from Blackpool, Lancashire. Subsequent searches got it right.

Find My iThing is much better.

The new options in Phone - do not disturb, etc. are welcome. But still no call blocking.

Happy enough for now but think my next phone will be an Android.

EE is Everything Everywhere - the new name for Orange/T-Mobile. I don't think 4G is up and running yet.
Posted By: WLH27 Re: iOS 6 - 20th Sep 2012 8:17am
I updated last night and can honestly say i havent noticed anything different to before, the only new thing i have is the passbook app....

Posted By: Lando Re: iOS 6 - 20th Sep 2012 5:45pm
Is there anyway around the lack of street view
Posted By: MikeT Re: iOS 6 - 21st Sep 2012 7:54am
Originally Posted by Lando
Is there anyway around the lack of street view

For now, open Google Maps in Safari. Google are working on a replacement Maps app but it's not ready yet.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral