Forums
Posted By: cmw2a AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 23rd Aug 2012 10:44pm
Hi, I've been using Avira free antivirus for a few months and today it has started popping up a window - Website Safety Advisor. It looks a bit suspicious because it just tells me what it's supposed to do and then asks am I excited about this, yes or no. I have the feeling it could be adware as it simply won't go until I click on it. Any ideas?
Posted By: reddragon Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 23rd Aug 2012 10:46pm
run Malwarebytes
Posted By: cmw2a Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 23rd Aug 2012 11:26pm
thanks for that, I'm running it now. (it's pretty slow!) I'll have to leave it running all night I think.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 24th Aug 2012 8:00am
Avira is quite good compared to some of the other freebees - but of later (last 3 months) it has become much more invasive with their own advert reminders. I have not yet found a way to block them - and will guess that an organisation like Avira has made them "unblockable" in the hope that users will get the paid-for version that should be free of such things

S.
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 24th Aug 2012 9:37am
I was using Avira on a laptop until I got fed up of it advertising itself . Got shut & now use Avast! .
Posted By: eggandchips Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 24th Aug 2012 10:34am
have used avast for years
Posted By: sunnyside Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 24th Aug 2012 12:58pm
i have found avast the best free anti-virus around, i am not getting trojan horses and worms like i used to with other ones.
Posted By: cmw2a Re: AVIRA Website Safety Advisor - 24th Aug 2012 2:33pm
I ran malware bites and the problem seems to have righted itself. Thanks to everyone for the interest, and if I have any difficulties again I'll definitely go back to Avast, they were good. Just that the hard drive had to be wiped and it came back with Avira installed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral