Forums
Posted By: TudorBlue Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 1:59pm
Anyone on here ever built their own PC (prob a silly question, bet loads of you have). I have decided to build my next PC. I know roughly what I need but I may be coming back in here asking questions or rather asking for advice. My first question is, where can I buy everything I need in one go? Want somewhere local rather than having to go to Scan in Bolton OR Aria in Manchester. Im still not sure weather or not to stick to AMD for try intel. Im still pondering this but any advice would be appreciated.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 2:04pm
Intel and ebuyer.com with next day delivery
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 2:16pm
You will get better parts with a better price fom the likes of ebuyer.com / scan / Aria / overclockers etc. I could never get the stuff I need from local shops. They tend to sell more basic stuff at high prices.

And........ Intel all the way. The new i5 sandybridge is a cracker. You only need an i7 if you are going to use hyperthreading.

Go for a board with the latest intel chipset aswell, last one was x58 but it's probably been updated since I bought mine.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 3:10pm
Personally I would go Intel but others have their own idea's if you go the t'internet way then you can pick and choose and get some good prices and delivered the next few days, if it's your first attempt then RTFM on the bits especially the motherboard and don't forget the heatsink, enjoy building it's part of computing.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 3:17pm
Originally Posted by davew3
enjoy building it's part of computing.

Yeah and look forward to the bit when you've built , checked , made it all nice and neat, plugged it in , press the power button, and................... Nothing. Lol
Posted By: davew3 Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 3:43pm
Shh don't say that it might put him off. party
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 4:24pm
This is my next build, Am waiting on the BitFenix Case to come in "out a stock"
[Linked Image  <br><br>Since its your first build stick with retail components as apposed to OEM its only a couple a quid extra but worth it in my opinion as they come with everything you'll need` including instruction Manuel&Cables where as the OEM bits are very basic.<br>This is from <a href=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/index.php The Mouse an Keyboard will be coming from here, http://www.dabs.com/products/microsoft-comfort-curve-keyboard-3000-7K4P.html
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 10:33pm
The only thing which frightens me is if I need to do stuff in bios once Ive built my PC. This is where I will definitely get stuck.
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 10:35pm
went down the AMD road with my first ever build myself about 8 months ago,,,windows 7 home premium,,asus sabertooth 990fx motherboard,, 8 core AMD fx8120 cpu,, xfx 750w power supply,, 8 gig corsair vengeance 1600 ram,, xfx 6770 hd graphics card, 500gb hard drive and a half decent case with plenty of vents to let the fans get the heat out,,, just bought it bit by bit over 12 months off internet and it took about an hour to put together lol i`d` say the only mistake i made was not getting a ssd drive for the operating system
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: Building your own PC - 7th Jul 2012 10:39pm
Originally Posted by 1971efc
went down the AMD road with my first ever build myself about 8 months ago,,,windows 7 home premium,,asus sabertooth 990fx motherboard,, 8 core AMD fx8120 cpu,, xfx 750w power supply,, 8 gig corsair vengeance 1600 ram,, xfx 6770 hd graphics card, 500gb hard drive and a half decent case with plenty of vents to let the fans get the heat out,,, just bought it bit by bit over 12 months off internet and it took about an hour to put together lol i`d` say the only mistake i made was not getting a ssd drive for the operating system

Im not really bothered about an ssd, they are still pricey as hell compared to a run of the mill hdd. I can always add one at a later date
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Building your own PC - 8th Jul 2012 7:58am
If you get a ssd make sure you get the 500mb/s or faster read and write.
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Building your own PC - 8th Jul 2012 7:35pm
@Vanmanone - why is there 2 pc cases in your basket? [EDIT: sorry, just read the part about the stock] I would also plan for the cooling factor in such a small sized rig although i am used to building very large gaming rigs so i imagine this won't produce anywhere near the amount of heat as those since there isn't a gpu the size of my head in there...

If you are really scared of setting up the bios and fitting the cpu etc, you CAN find places that do pre-set motherboard, ram and cpu bundles.
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Building your own PC - 9th Jul 2012 7:20am
Originally Posted by EvilCycle
@Vanmanone - why is there 2 pc cases in your basket? [EDIT: sorry, just read the part about the stock] I would also plan for the cooling factor in such a small sized rig although i am used to building very large gaming rigs so i imagine this won't produce anywhere near the amount of heat as those since there isn't a gpu the size of my head in there...

If you are really scared of setting up the bios and fitting the cpu etc, you CAN find places that do pre-set motherboard, ram and cpu bundles.

I have a gaming Pc ..C2Q6600 overclocked by 50% @ 3.6/AsusP5E X38/TRUE cooling/2x2 Gskill 8000@1066/Ati HD 4890 XT graphics/Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB/Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB/W7 64 bit/Antec P182/Dell ultrasharp 27" monitor.

This new build is going to be nice and quiet at the same time more than capable for what its going to be used for,it's being used for office (general use), i don't see a GPU being added anytime soon.

The K version comes with HD 4000 graphics where the non k (3550) comes with HD 2500. The 3570k will keep its value more, in the long run too
Posted By: Andrew1980 Re: Building your own PC - 9th Jul 2012 10:20pm
when i've built mine i've always stuck with amd good reliable and buy equipment from ebuyer.com
© Wirral-Wikiwirral