Forums
Posted By: eggandchips toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 1:06pm
ma-in-law has asked me to look at her laptop. only info i got was,''it went very hot and stopped working''

any ideas? ive changed the fuse in the plug, no sign of any damage anywhere but its deado
is this the motherboard gone?

cheers
Posted By: lansyp Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 1:39pm
i have a similar computer and they do run stupidly hot, mine turns off but will come back on once its cooled down, usually
Posted By: j_demo Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 1:48pm
there's a few reasons why that's happening/happened 1. the fan is broke and needs replacing.

alternatively you could also be running programmes that are too "advanced" for the processor to handle hence that componant overheats and the computer freezes.

the latter means that one section of the laptop will overheat and the whole thing will crash, the former option, more of the laptop will overheat...

it may well be the processor judging by what i've heard, or worse-comes-to-worst, the motherboard as you said. but i can't be 100% to be honest.

as for you lansyp, probably the same.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 3:33pm
it was ever only used for facebook etc, not that familiar with the insides of a laptop. wont even light up when switched on.

cheers
Posted By: j_demo Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 3:52pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips
it was ever only used for facebook etc, not that familiar with the insides of a laptop. wont even light up when switched on.

cheers

erm... take the plug out, battery out, hold down the power button for 30-45 seconds and then try again (not a stupid answer, trust me, it works 50% of the time)
Posted By: eggandchips Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 4:09pm
we have lights, well in mate
Posted By: eggandchips Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 4:22pm
just the power button light and the battery charge light, nothing else
Originally Posted by jawide
Originally Posted by eggandchips

cheers

erm... take the plug out, battery out, hold down the power button for 30-45 seconds and then try again (not a stupid answer, trust me, it works 50% of the time)
Posted By: eggandchips Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 4:56pm
booted up, lasted about 30 seconnds, went hot again, so i reckon it is the fan.
the battery doesnt seem to be charging either.
press the on button just get flashing light ( 5/6 flashes) on the battery icon
the power on icon isnt on either
Posted By: Mark Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 5:12pm
That may be a status warning the flashing light. The fan may not be spinning and it's cutting out before it causes real problems.

Try starting the laptop again, hold your hand over the fan area. Feel for air? If the fan is broken that could be the cause of the systems.

If the fan is running, it may be full of dust / dirt and not runing efficiently, but it would needed a blanket of fluff to make it shut off so quickly.

Try and establish if the fan is with us or not?

I can have a look at it if your stuck.
Send me a private message with your details.

Posted By: eggandchips Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 5:22pm
no sign of movement just booted up and went straight off
Posted By: Mark Re: toshiba equium A210-1C4 - 29th Jun 2012 5:51pm
If it's a case of opening up the whole laptop then it needs to go to a shop?
Some modern laptops have a seperate flap to remove the fan. How ever this does now sound like the fan on the processor?

I sent you a pm with details.

Mark
© Wirral-Wikiwirral