Forums
Posted By: MerseyMan Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 18th May 2012 12:24pm
Alright Wiki people
Recently my internet explorer has been immediately shutting down when I open it up. 99% of the time the window will expand and then close again or the other 1% the window will open but the page will be blank and I can only click on the cross to exit the program. I have googled before posting here and there was one solution of the Microsft support website which involved of the downloading a repair file but that didn't work at all. The option to uninstall is not available to me in Windows 7 well to me that is and downloading and installing IE the same problem happens. I have tried with the firewall (comodo) Off but it still happens. It's just being a pain now as I use Chrome which is fine but my internet banking is being a pain as it is saying I am trying to log into my account from another location. Anyone have an idea on the prob or link to a fix or explanation?
My system is:
Dell Inspiron 1545
Pentium Dual core CPU T4500
4 Gb Ram
64 Bit operating system

Any help greatly appreciated before I use the laptop as a footstool.
Posted By: Mark Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 18th May 2012 12:42pm
Try it in Safe Mode.
I know you wont have a Internet connection. But your going to then exclude a possibility.

If it launches in safe mode then it could be a conflict with a windows service.

You could try re-installing IE9 again as there could be a corrupt file.

You may want to run a scan disk to be sure also?
Hi MerseyMan,

my first thoughts on this were, have you tried doing a Sytem Restore to a time when your IE9 was working OK ?

Secondly,
If you uninstall IE9 it will revert to an earlier IE, maybe IE7.

To do this, just go the usual route of "Start"- "Control Panel"-"Programs and Features"- then in the Left hand pane, click on the "View Installed Updates"...The IE9 should now become visible and clickable to uninstall it.

Good luck.
I hope this helps.

Bri...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 18th May 2012 1:40pm
ie9 id full of glitches if you ask me a right royal pain in the ass if you ask me !!
ive had no end of compatibility viewing problems with mine inc video streaming problems ..

although using google chrome seems to help slightly ?
You may have a virus. If you hav'nt already I would do full scan with antivirus, one that detects rootkits & scan with Malwarebytes & kaspersky or similar. Good luck
Hi Mark
Booted up in safe mode and was able to open the IE window fine, albeit without the connection. Couldn't find an option to re-install but I did download IE 9 and installed over the the copy but still had the same problem. Will scan for problems.

Hi Briszone
Did what you said but it's coming up as no installed updates so at a loss with that one.

Hi deckchair
Already scanned with Malware bytes and comodo saying the nothing found a few days back but will do it again now and see what happens.
Cheers all
will repost the results of the scans. smile
Posted By: philmch Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 18th May 2012 4:48pm
IE is rubbish imo. Try Firefox or better still, Opera.

Both are free and you can import all your bookmarks over very easily.
Posted By: ManxCat Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 18th May 2012 5:25pm
IE9 works fine for me once you get round all the issues..

IE8 was so much better all round..

There is no further update as IE10 is being released as part of Windows 8 which is out later this year.

Firefox is my second best option, looks well, works well and does what says on the tin..:)
firefox by far the best browser if you install last pass it will automatically log you in to your bank it will also remember your location too i used to have this messing round with santander but since switching to firefox it sorted now
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 19th May 2012 2:09pm
IE is crap, safari or opera is the way to go smile I use to love Firefox but it just don't live up to what it use to be for me.
Posted By: Andy13 Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 20th May 2012 1:51pm
Firefox is the definitley the best browser out there, I've tried them all and nothing comes close to Firefox.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 20th May 2012 2:31pm
Yeah, switch in firefox. Do the speedup trick on helpful varsity to boost page load times.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Windows IE 9 repeatedly closing when opened. - 20th May 2012 6:32pm
Chrome for me. Amazing performance
© Wirral-Wikiwirral