Forums
Posted By: carbooter internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 8:38am
I am not very good at understading mobile phones etc but I think I want to buy or rent a phone/some other mobile device that will give me unlimited access to the internet..can anyone suggest the best options please

thank you
Posted By: BennyBoy Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 1:17pm
Iphone packages offer unlimited internet access. However, if you set a limit to 500 mb per month then that would be more than enough. It just all depends on how much you were thinking of using it.
Posted By: carbooter Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 1:34pm
Thanks Bennyboy..also for recent pms..good luck with whatever you decide to do
Posted By: AX_125 Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 1:36pm
Or, if you are not rich enough for an Iphone, Android phones are really cheap and come with data packages giving you enough data to browse the internet.
Posted By: missj Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 1:42pm
I have an android phone with a TMobile pay as you go SIM. I pay £20 for 6 months unlimited internet - I can use the phone as a mobile modem on my laptop which saves me using a dongle. I know "unlimited" has a fair use policy but I haven't exceeded it within the last year so it must be pretty high!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 2:09pm
That sounds exceptional - if I only understood how all these connection work! sorry
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 2:33pm
Im on Tesco mobile. £5 a month for 500mb. I use Opera Mini.
Posted By: missj Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 2:41pm
Its really simple Moonstar, most of them are plug and play, meaning it installs the driver software as soon as you plug the mini usb into the computer. Hit connect and there you go! The speed is not really fast enough for skype or streaming but its fine for emails, social networking and most sites that dont rely on fast downloads. Its the small connector which you plug into your phone and the port on the laptop to charge the phone or download stuff from phone to PC - give it a try!
Posted By: Moonstar Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 3:20pm
Sounds wonderful. I need a new phone that would do this as the one I have has never heard of the internet and I am on a very old 02 contract which I paid upfront and only pay for calls the cost of which is very low because I don't use the telephone very much and never text.
Posted By: carbooter Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 6:21pm
Or, if you are not rich enough for an Iphone, Android phones are really cheap and come with data packages giving you enough data to browse the internet.

AX 125...thank you and everyone else for answers but sorry WHAT IS AN ANDROID PHONE?????????????
Posted By: AX_125 Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 6:50pm
Android is an operating system built by google, it is by far the most used mobile operating system in the world. There are hundreds of models that use it, most popular is the samsung galaxy range. Any mobile phone shop will be able to talk you through specific devices but most phones now a days are either android, windows, blackberry or iphone
Posted By: karlb Re: internet on the phone - 28th Feb 2012 7:58pm
I'm with giffgaff £10 a month for unlimited internet and 250 minutes and unlimited texts,its sim only so you would need your own phone.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: internet on the phone - 2nd Mar 2012 7:31pm
www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/672197.html#Post672197

An excellent phone, same as what I have.
Posted By: stumpyduck Re: internet on the phone - 3rd Mar 2012 4:41pm
thanks ax , just to reiterate , this is a superb phone for accessing the internet , one of the largest screens you can have on a mobile phone and everything works just like a mini computer in your pocket .i recommend a giff gaff sim
Posted By: MattLFC Re: internet on the phone - 4th Mar 2012 4:37am
£5.15 per month, 600 minutes, 3000 texts (basically unlimited) and 1GB data (basically unlimited). Oh and you actually get customer service when you have a problem (not sure how good it is, but at least it's there lol).

Suddenly giffgaff aint so good is it raftl
Posted By: chris7777 Re: internet on the phone - 4th Mar 2012 11:28am
carbooter,
i have an android phone--samsung galaxy europa,i have a sim only contract with 3 with 300mis 3000texts and 1gb internet, all for £10 a month and i don't even use it all,the phone is mine, which was'nt very expensive, i got mine from a catolog for £85, but have since seen them in Argos for about £50--60, it's a good phone but with it being an android you have to charge it every day or maybe more if you use it a lot,it's got a good camera and video on it,some say the camera is rubbish but i've always had ,good snaps from it you can download a load of apps from the android market.
a good tip for having an android is to carry a portable battery charger with you, i bought one off Amazon, i just keep it charged up and keep it in my bag, it's handy if you are out and the battery runs low, just plug it into your phone and it charges it up!!

hope this helps in your decision making!!!
Posted By: AX_125 Re: internet on the phone - 4th Mar 2012 9:15pm
It isn't the operating system that wastes the battery to much as it is fairly efficient. It is usually the large screens
Posted By: MattLFC Re: internet on the phone - 5th Mar 2012 12:08am
The OS can have a massive impact on battery life though, look at WinMo, it could last days when the likes of Android and iOS at the same time, couldn't even make it through a day. My phone has bigger than an iPhone 3G (although has a very slightly larger battery capacity) and yet when people were struggling to get a day without the 3G needing charging, I was reguarly getting 3 days+ on WinMo 6.1 (and 6.5 whilst I was running it) with SBP Home Shell.

iOS 4 improved battery life performance later in life for the 3G, simarly when iOS 5 was released, the battery life supposedly improved on the iPhone 4.

A similar scenario happened with Android, Froyo was terrible for battery life in comparison to Gingerbread. Whilst at the time I was getting 2-3 days on WinMo, Froyo final was giving me about 6 - 12 hours with no more usage than normal... same phone, different OS's, so there is something in it.

There used to be a chef on XDA-Developers called Jacko who made WinMo 6.1 ROM's without all the fancy stuff added, and with many of the advanced options (that nobody uses) completely removed (Telnet, RDP etc). The ROM's were built for core speed and efficiency, but they also boasted 4+ days of battery life. On a somewhat related point, I also found that if I overclock the CPU in my phone, amazingly I get slightly better (noticeable) battery life than at stock, mainly because the CPU is running more efficiently at full speed, and is still set to underclock as normal when full speed is not required/battery is running low.

I think it's a case of developers being more interested in features and arty-farty stuff initially, and only later realising battery life is important to users as well, a phone is of little use if you have no battery left to power it, no matter how many apps you have.

My phone is now struggling to get a day though, it's over 2 years old now and had a very hard life and the battery is, for want of a better word, shot! It sometimes shows 20% a few minutes after charging, turn it off and back on and it shows 60% or summit, then drains again quickly, then a restart it shows higher again, the last 5-10% always seems to linger like it always did, but I need a new battery lol.

frown
Posted By: carbooter Re: internet on the phone - 9th Mar 2012 9:46am
Thank you to everyone who has responded..I will take all of the commenst on board

Many thanks to you all
© Wirral-Wikiwirral