Forums
Posted By: Lil_bird Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 9:59pm
I have bought a recon laptop for my son but it had no power lead, went to buy a universal one and it wouldn't charge. Have tried other leads but no joy. It is a pretty old laptop but as he's only 8 I thought it would be a good starter one for him and if he drops it down the stairs etc at least its not my one!!! It is a Compaq presario 2100, does anyone have any idea what it could be and if it would be worthwhile getting it fixed?? any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance
Posted By: lansyp Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 10:41pm
have you checked you have the right power setting on your adapter universal ones normally have different power settings .is it running and not charging or just nothing
Posted By: lansyp Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 10:44pm
have just looked at the specs for your computer and its not bad for a starter computer so may be worth a fix
Posted By: TheDr Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 11:00pm
There are two different power supplies for this, one uses 18.5/19v and 3.5A, the other uses 4.7/4.95A, so if your universal supply is only a 65W it'll work with one but not the other (needs to be 90W).
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 11:36pm
The guy I got it from assured me it is in full working order and just needed a power lead however I took it to a shop in Rhyl (was there visiting family) and he tried what he said was the right universal adapter and nothing happened, no lights came on and no charge seemed to be going through, he tested the adapter with a meter and there was power. My son is desperate for this to be fixed and can't really afford to replace it at the mo. Reasonable, reputable shop anyone or a self employed tech?? please not either of the ones in Liscard as 1 is expensive and 1 can't be bothered to help his customers (hope this doesn't cause offence to anyone as it is only my opinion)
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 11:40pm
It's as dead as a dodo
Posted By: lansyp Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 11:49pm
ask the doc ,based in rock ferry
Posted By: lansyp Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 11:51pm
put the power supply in and move it round ,watch the light on the fron if you get a flicker its a dodgy power socket
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Laptop power problem - 15th Feb 2012 11:54pm
Thanks a lot for your help hun, I will try to find him. My son will be over the moon if I get this sorted and he can store all his music etc (he's an 8 year old teenager) on there instead of on mine. Thanks again x
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Laptop power problem - 16th Feb 2012 12:03am
I still have no power supply as guy in Rhyl said he wouldn't sell me the universal lead as it didn't work for that laptop and I don't want to buy one elsewhere if the laptop is unfixable. Knowing my luck it's the charging light that's not working after all this ha ha. It's been sitting here for 3 months now and I have promised my boy I will get him some answers soon. Have sent the Doc a pm and will keep my fingers crossed that he can help without it costing the earth. Really appreciate your help on this too, thanks xx
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Laptop power problem - 16th Feb 2012 3:55am
Try here for prices smile
Posted By: MikeT Re: Laptop power problem - 16th Feb 2012 6:40am
Originally Posted by Lil_bird
I have bought a recon laptop for my son but it had no power lead, went to buy a universal one and it wouldn't charge.

I used to fix Compaq stuff for a dealer. A lot of those older laptops will not charge unless you use the official adapter that came with them.

This is what you need: CLICKY

There's 3 types available, make sure you get the right one. $23 is a fair price to ask.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Laptop power problem - 16th Feb 2012 3:41pm
Mine won't charge because the battery is goosed, works ok direct off the mains. It's a Compaq Presario as well.
Posted By: Tilly Re: Laptop power problem - 16th Feb 2012 9:25pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Mine won't charge because the battery is goosed, works ok direct off the mains. It's a Compaq Presario as well.

I have the same laptop as you with the same problem. just as well i never take it anywhere.. and if the lecky goes, so does me lappy laugh
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Laptop power problem - 16th Feb 2012 10:09pm
Thanks for the info everyone, still unsure which 1 I need as I have never even seen the original charger and don't want to buy the wrong one. Will pop up to the docs in Rock Ferry once the half term hols are over and see if they can help. Thanks again for taking the time to reply
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Laptop power problem - 17th Feb 2012 8:27am
Have a look at this site maybe of help to you,Supaprice.co.uk
© Wirral-Wikiwirral