Forums
Posted By: sunnyside mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 2:13pm
help please i have a samsung wave 8500 mobile phone how are you supposed to text you touch one key and catch two itss impossible with ordinary fingers also can you use radio without headset great phone but complex but will i ever be able to use it ha ha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 2:15pm
Take it back and get a different phone then...

wink
Posted By: jaki1 Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 2:17pm
cut your nails
Posted By: sunnyside Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 2:25pm
ha ha ha so funny jak1 but i have short nails
Posted By: TheDr Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 2:28pm
Get a stylus for it, they're only a couple of quid, useful for anyone with normal sized fingers smile
Posted By: sunnyside Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 2:32pm
cheers doc
Posted By: Clive Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:03pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Get a stylus for it, they're only a couple of quid, useful for anyone with normal sized fingers smile
stylus does not work on samung wave, and no to using radio without headset
Posted By: Manowar1952 Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:10pm
Download the manual.
Apparently there are several options for entering text.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c.../GT-S8500_UM_Open_Eng_Rev.1.5_101203.pdf
Posted By: Sarah_ZR Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:22pm
Didn't know you could get syslisses for mobiles lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:28pm
Originally Posted by Sarah_ZR
Didn't know you could get syslisses for mobiles lol

You've seen my TP2. But Windows Mobile is like... 10 years old, and it was built for resistive touchscreens and Stylii (sp?). Only ever had one capacitive touchscreen handset, WinMo's swansong aka the HD2, which was more hassle for HTC/Microsoft to develop, than it was worth.

I am still gobsmacked how people still need to use styluses with these modern OS's though... I mean, I'm running WinMo 6.1 (so not even the relatively more touch-friendly 6.5.3/6.5.5 BETA's - they don't call WinMo the "stylus-happy OS of yesteryear" for nothing lol [it's a dig at it's antiquated GUI], and yet I think I use the stylus once in a blue moon, usually when I'm tired.

If a modern handset/OS requires a stylus on a touchscreen, it begs the question as to why it has a touchscreen...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:34pm
Here we go Sarah...

[Linked Image]
Hardcore!! laugh
Posted By: TheDr Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:38pm
First of all, the Samsung Wave DOES work with a stylus.

I wasn't commenting on the practicalities of it or how old the OS is or how the UI should be improved, I was giving a very simple way to work around not being able to press one key at a time.

The headphones are the aerial for the radio, even some of the cheaper Samsungs have them inbuilt but for some reason not the Wave.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:49pm
opinion divided on stylus can i or not use on this phone helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 3:50pm
Why don't you just take it back and get a different phone? There are better "touch" OS's out there than Bada...

wink
Posted By: sunnyside Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 4:05pm
would of changed it but it was given to me by someone who never got round to use it due to ill health
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 4:10pm
Fair do's. Here is a stylus, 99p delivered from a UK seller:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-ST...s_Accessories_RL&hash=item4cfa6e391c

The only thing with a phone that ain't designed for a stylus, is you will have it hanging around all the time as an extra (they slot neatly and discreetly away within the phone when they're built for them).

Personally, I'd recommend you have a stab at just getting to grips with using your fingers, or alternatively, throw Android onto it and use a shell such SPB Home or HTC Sense if you can get a ROM with it.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 4:50pm
thanks matt will get one of them your baffling me with the android thing ha ha ha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 4:59pm
Just go with the stylus then, but deffo try and get used to using your fingers, you should grasp it over time.

smile
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 5:30pm
iPhones are crap, a simple thing called a stylus does not work on them frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: mobile phone - 11th Feb 2012 5:43pm
You can't use a regular stylus, because iPhones use capacitive screens, not resistive. The ability to effectively use anything as a stylus (and therefore, accuracy), is considered one of the main pro's of resistive touchscreens (there are pro's and cons on both sides though).

However, there are specially designed styluses available for most capacitive screens, that stylus above should probably work with it. It does seem to a be a technical limitation that they cannot attain the pinpoint accuracy of resistive styluses, but they achieve the same result, accuracy aside.
Posted By: Clive Re: mobile phone - 12th Feb 2012 8:23am
Originally Posted by TheDr
First of all, the Samsung Wave DOES work with a stylus.

I wasn't commenting on the practicalities of it or how old the OS is or how the UI should be improved, I was giving a very simple way to work around not being able to press one key at a time.

The headphones are the aerial for the radio, even some of the cheaper Samsungs have them inbuilt but for some reason not the Wave.
Sorry doc my aplogies, you are right stylus does work, but has to be special one.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral