Forums
Posted By: rocks virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:07pm
hi guys im thinking of getting the no landline/tv broadband off virgin for £22.50mth has anyone got it and is it ok? or do you know of any other just broadband deals cheaper
Posted By: reddragon Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:21pm
complaints I have heard from numerous dont go to Talk Talk
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:29pm
Red, are you saying to go to TalkTalk?

Afaik, aside from 3G bb, only Virgin (and possibly BT Infinity if it's on your exchange as yet) offer broadband without a landline.

Virgin are not all bad, their customer service is dodgy, and when the service fails, it really fails lol. But otherwise, my mum has it, and they seem okay.

smile
Posted By: shar215 Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:39pm
ive been with virgin for many years now .. only had about two problems with the broadband but they where all sorted out within a day ..whats good with virgin if any of there products break (ie router) they just give you a new one .. ive just got a new v+ box its smaller and thinner and looks better .they came and and fitted it all for free .. i know virgin broadband is more expensive then some but i guesse you get what you pay for . i would never change from virgin
Posted By: rocks Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:54pm
i pay £15mth now for us to share a dongle (in shifts,pain in the bum) and virgin seems to be the only one i can find were you can just get broadband (unlimited usage too) i dont need the tv or phone
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:56pm
Yep, Virgin will be the way forward in this scenario. For the extra £7 per month, it will alleviate all these problems, and give you a faster, more consistent service as well.

smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:57pm
Virgin work well for me, you get the odd failure, which makes you feel like your life has ended, but basically about as stable as it gets.

Avoid TalkTalk at all costs, I wouldn't use them if you paid me.

Vonage for your calls, VOIP, free landline calls for less than £6 a month and a real phone number, just plug the box into your router.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 12:58pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Avoid TalkTalk at all costs, I wouldn't use them if you paid me.

withthat
Posted By: reddragon Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 1:00pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC

Afaik, aside from 3G bb, only Virgin (and possibly BT Infinity if it's on your exchange as yet) offer broadband without a landline.

Virgin are not all bad, their customer service is dodgy, and when the service fails, it really fails lol. But otherwise, my mum has it, and they seem okay.

smile

Sorry forgot to put a comma in

DONT DONT DONT go to talk talk
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 1:02pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
Originally Posted by MattLFC

smile

Sorry forgot to put a comma in

DONT DONT DONT go to talk talk

That's the one lol, was hoping you meant that. They will be due their annual advert on BBC Watchdog when it eventually returns, minus Anne Robinson and RT lol.
Posted By: reddragon Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 1:08pm
Rocks forgot to mention check out all suppliers to ensure who actually covers your area dont start ball rolling then find ur reception is going to be chronic hope this helps
Posted By: rocks Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 1:25pm
thanx guys much appreciated smile omg you'll have to put up with both of us on at the same time soon lol
Posted By: Schuu Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 1:30pm
I recently left Virgin, after their service left us resetting the modem over and over daily to get a connection. We would phone them and be told theirs a problem outside your property, and they would book a technician to come and fix it, then cancel the appointment saying it was a regional fault. The problem persisted for months. Us complaining, them cancelling appointments or telling us if no fault was found we would have to pay for the technician.

We moved to sky, who are nowhere near as fast, but the constant unbroken connection is better than speed.

Virgins customer service is a shambles, half the time I wonder if they even know what they are talking about themselves.

I think if we didnt have the connection problems we would have stayed with virgin but in the end it just wasnt worth the stress, so we moved our phone and broadband to Sky to combine with our TV.

Posted By: reddragon Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 3:42pm
Originally Posted by rocks
thanx guys much appreciated smile omg you'll have to put up with both of us on at the same time soon lol

Bring it on rocks and tc
Posted By: Snodvan Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 3:51pm
Been with Virgin cable for over 10 years now. No compaints at all about the service. Very occasional service failures. Never on TV, maybe once a year on braodband. There is also a lot of good advice (and folk moaning) in www.nthellworld.com Good place to go if you are stuck with a general computer problem as well.

The WEAK bit of Virgin is their billing/ accounts. Getting them to send/ deal with the proper bills can sometimes be traumatic but if you have trouble with them just scream and DEMAND to speak with the supervisor. Usually the problem is only with the first couple of bills or if you change address. After that seems to settle and be ok

Snod
Posted By: cathie Re: virgin broardband - 4th Feb 2012 10:30pm
I've been with virgin media for 13 years...had a handful of problems in that time that have all been swiftly dealt with by calling tech services, I now pay 28.50 a month (broadband only) with a super hub...only complaint I have would be the wifi connection can be a bit hit & miss & with 3 laptops, 2 iPhones (and I let my neighbour connect to my wifi) it could be better...when I'm bothered enough though I'll call tech services :0)
Posted By: Salmon Re: virgin broardband - 5th Feb 2012 8:42am
Touch wood, we have been with Talk Talk(phone and broadband) about 8 years now with no problems. We get bombarded with stuff from Virgin trying to get us to move to them,their package sounded quite good but £2 per month dearer than Talk Talk for similar package. I rang Talk Talk to say I was considering switching so they halved my package cost for 6 months. I considered that a good result.
Posted By: Lando Re: virgin broardband - 5th Feb 2012 10:59am
For around 20 quid you will get phone broadband and tv from SKY
Posted By: Lando Re: virgin broardband - 5th Feb 2012 11:02am
http://www.sky.com/shop/new?DCMP=KNC-standard-sky

Free broadband for 6 months as well
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 5th Feb 2012 12:35pm
Yeah, but we all know Sky have progressively gone downhill over the past few years, just like o2. Very similar scenarios, the immediate post-Easynet days, they we're excellent (I know, I was one of their first customers and a trial-list for their landline service - there is a long-running thread on here where everyone just started complaining about the service in the end), then they gradually became more and more $ky and everything went tits-up.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 5th Feb 2012 12:38pm
Originally Posted by cathie
had a handful of problems in that time that have all been swiftly dealt with by calling tech services

You mean they waited for you to telephone before bothering to fix their annual national outages?? Or do you consider 4 hours - 1 day "swift"? Lol...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: virgin broardband - 5th Feb 2012 12:40pm
Originally Posted by Salmon
Touch wood, we have been with Talk Talk(phone and broadband) about 8 years now with no problems. We get bombarded with stuff from Virgin trying to get us to move to them,their package sounded quite good but £2 per month dearer than Talk Talk for similar package. I rang Talk Talk to say I was considering switching so they halved my package cost for 6 months. I considered that a good result.

The problem with talktalk is there is too much risk involved. And the service itself is shite; the horror stories of leaving customers without connections for days, even months (I'm pretty sure iirc, DD was a victim off these forums), thousands of complaints flooding into watchdog, consistently coming lowest on customer service rankings etc... I mean how can anyone trust a company who offers "FREE BROADBAND FOR LIFE" and defines "life" as 18 months, and then rudely starts billing customers without mercy...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral