Forums
Posted By: Norton iTunes won't update - 31st Jan 2012 6:23pm
A while back, a friendly clean-up program removed the installation file for iTunes - AppleApplicationsSupport.msi It got totally deleted before I found out. Files of the same name in the same folder, but of different dates, just won't do. The update process knows the difference.
So right now I'm still stuck with iTunes 9.2. It still works, but I can't delete or upgrade it. I'd delete the prog files and then the registry entry if I knew what it was called.
The Apple help page seems to assume that you have a piece of hardware and needs a serial number before it will help.
Any suggestions, please?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: iTunes won't update - 31st Jan 2012 6:29pm
Did you say you have tried a registry mechanic?

Sorry, you don't need to know what it's called. Download registry mechanic and it will sort it for you, I use that program in mine norton and it's spot on.
Posted By: pacef8 Re: iTunes won't update - 31st Jan 2012 6:55pm
first of are you mac or pc, if mac see if you can find the itunes .plist preference and copy it out to your desktop, this contains the data list of your library. delete the one in the library and replace it with the one on the desktop.
Posted By: Norton Re: iTunes won't update - 31st Jan 2012 7:04pm
Thanks guys. Its a pc running XP. The library is ok and the registry is ok - its the msi file that's gone awol. If I knew what the registry entry for it was, I'd delete it and all the other prog files, keeping the library safe - and then start from scratch. So far, that is the only way I can see to go as I can't get the right msi file.
At present I tend to use 'PC Registry Cleaner' to get rid of the rubbish, but even then strange things can happen, no matter how careful you are, so some stuff has to get restored sometimes.
Posted By: MikeT Re: iTunes won't update - 1st Feb 2012 6:48am
Originally Posted by Norton
Any suggestions, please?

Download and run Revo Uninstaller, use that to remove iTunes, then download and install the latest version.

Revo runs the app's own uninstaller, then it cleans up orphaned registry entries.

Back up your iTunes library first. Uninstalling/reinstalling shouldn't result in data loss, but best to be safe if you have anything you value.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: iTunes won't update - 1st Feb 2012 11:57am
Originally Posted by Norton
At present I tend to use 'PC Registry Cleaner' to get rid of the rubbish

Why are you messing around with the registry in the first place? Old registry keys do not need cleaning and you're clearly having more trouble than it's worth trying to deal with a problem that .. isn't really a problem.
Posted By: Norton Re: iTunes won't update - 1st Feb 2012 1:31pm
Looks like I've got misunderstood and an out of context quote.
It is a problem, as there are some things I want to look at that need the latest version. I wouldn't normally worry too much about old registry keys.

I see it this way -
1. A clean up package removed the installation file in error (msi file)
2. iTunes installer and any other uninstaller package needs the msi file to work properly.
3. iTunes knows there is a running version, probably due to the registry entry.
4. If there is no registry entry, iTunes assumes a new insatall.
5. Therefore the program files and registry entry both have to go, then I can start a new install, and reload the library.

n.b. The reference to PC Registry Cleaner is that it is the program I use at present to clean up some of the junk that gets left behind, both in the registry and other folders. It is NOT the one I was using when the msi file was deleted and I don't normally go into the registry without good reason. I think this is one of those times when I might have to.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral