Forums
Posted By: _Ste_ Putting XP on a drive with 7 64 bit installed - 21st Jan 2012 6:19pm
I tried to put XP on my laptop but it refused, it currently has 7 64 bit.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Don`t want to wipe my drive as it has all my drivers in for fingerprint recognition etc which i need to turn on the pc and get into windows.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Putting XP on a drive with 7 64 bit installed - 21st Jan 2012 6:24pm
Have you formated it into 2 drives? I don't think you can have both operating systems on the same drive. You can do this in Win 7 without wiping the drive.
Posted By: karlb Re: Putting XP on a drive with 7 64 bit installed - 21st Jan 2012 7:07pm
You have to shrink your partition with disk management first and create 2 partitions.shrink partition install xp
Posted By: Mark Re: Putting XP on a drive with 7 64 bit installed - 21st Jan 2012 7:31pm
just use

Sun Virtual Box smile

Google it, you install it and you can run xp inside Win 7

How ever if you have Win7 Professional just down load Virtual Pc and you get a full licenced XP copy installed to run XP stuff.
Posted By: Mark Re: Putting XP on a drive with 7 64 bit installed - 21st Jan 2012 7:33pm
Sorry Windows Virtual Pc.

Google that and you will get the links to Microsofts HOW to Page.

With both options above you can transfere files from either operating system.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Putting XP on a drive with 7 64 bit installed - 21st Jan 2012 10:24pm
Originally Posted by CrocodileDundee
Have you formated it into 2 drives? I don't think you can have both operating systems on the same drive. You can do this in Win 7 without wiping the drive.

I bought it brand new last year so it's completely stock.

Originally Posted by karlb
You have to shrink your partition with disk management first and create 2 partitions.shrink partition install xp
thanks I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by Mark
just use

Sun Virtual Box smile

Google it, you install it and you can run xp inside Win 7

How ever if you have Win7 Professional just down load Virtual Pc and you get a full licenced XP copy installed to run XP stuff.

I'll take a look.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll take a look at all suggestions tomorrow.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral