Forums
Posted By: rocks spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:01pm
i want (ok need) a spell checker for when im posting on forums, i have one when i send msn emails. iv looked all through vista to try and find one to switch on? and cant find anything. i cant use my microsoft word as i dont have a product key so openoffice org was put on for me, do i need microsoft word/office etc to get a spell checker to work on forums or is there another way?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:31pm
Open Office is a free alternative to Microsoft Office. I have to be honest that I've not used it (don't need to) but have heard good things about it. I bet their version of word will have a spell checker - may be worth a try
http://www.openoffice.org/
Posted By: rocks Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:34pm
i have that installed already and yes it has a spell checker when i use it to type letters etc but i want a spell checker for when im on forums as that one doesnt show up
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:37pm
Oh I get you - does such a thing exist coz I could use some of that please raftl
Posted By: rocks Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:42pm
tc gets the red line when hes posting, im sick of picking my dictionary up my bloody arms aching ha
Posted By: bert1 Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:42pm
depending on your browser, install google tool bar if your browser lets you.
Posted By: rocks Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 8:43pm
oh thanx bert i'll try it smile
Posted By: manic28_am Re: spell checker - 28th Dec 2011 9:32pm
i want (ok need) a spell checker for when im posting on forums, i have one when i send msn emails. iv looked all through vista to try and find one to switch on? and cant find anything. i cant use my microsoft word as i dont have a product key so openoffice org was put on for me, do i need microsoft word/office etc to get a spell checker to work on forums or is there another way?

I've

Can't

I'm

I / i

Spell checker will also put in apostrophes (and make sure I is capital) for you. I use Google Chrome which highlights 90% of the time wink
Posted By: ChrisJ Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 1:53am
I use Opera as my Browser and it highlights mis-spell words in
underlined red you right click choose the right spelling simple as that....
Posted By: Necronuss Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 2:01am
you can get an add in for firefox don't know about internet explorer
Posted By: _Moretonlad_ Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 5:57am
Google Chrome always lets you know when something is spelled wrong by showing a red link underneath the word that is misspelled
Posted By: j_demo Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 7:36am
yeh +1 to getting google chrome, it's not only a faster browser with less crashes but has a built in spell-checker smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 11:58am
+1 for opera
Posted By: rocks Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 3:11pm
up date...i tried just the google tool bar but it didnt underline wrong spelling and was very long winded so iv up graded to google chrome and im well happy smile
thanks for the advice everyone
Posted By: ex0__ Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 3:24pm
Don't use Open Office .. after that Oracle bullshit last year no one should be using it anymore. Switch over to LibreOffice instead if you want to support the OSS the way OO used to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice
Posted By: bert1 Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 3:25pm
The thing is Rocks if I may say, the chrome which I have now is not a patch on the google tool bar, I always found it easier on the tool bar just to press check after I had finished typing. I had to change to chrome because of trouble with IE, the spell checker on chrome doesn't recognise anywhere near as many mispelt words or give you as many alternatives, not that I need it you understand. wink
Don't forget its Yankee English.
Posted By: rocks Re: spell checker - 29th Dec 2011 3:47pm
thanks for link to LibreOffice I'll check it out

Bert I didn't really want chrome as I hate change but I'm also on a little net book and the extra band at the top took valuable space!
I'm sure by the time iv mastered chrome there'll be a new version out ha
© Wirral-Wikiwirral