Forums
Posted By: Brocks Apple Airport Express - 14th Dec 2011 9:28pm
In our kitchen, we have a stereo and speakers concealed in and over units. I plug my iPod touch into the aux input when we're entertaining. It's a pain in the asp when I have to get up to skip a track so I've been looking for a simple way of wirelessly sending music from the iPod in my pocket to the stereo without using Bluetooth. I called in to richer sounds and they put me on to apples airport express.

Any one got one? Any good?

Tonight I found a compromise. The laptop running itunes and is plumbed in via the headphone socket and I'm controlling it using an app from across the house. But the music source is the laptop. It can't be concealed.
Posted By: karlb Re: Apple Airport Express - 14th Dec 2011 10:18pm
You could use something like this belkin bluetooth
Posted By: Brocks Re: Apple Airport Express - 14th Dec 2011 10:48pm
I'm trying to avoid Bluetooth. I have some BT speakers and they're sometimes a bit hit and miss
Posted By: little_pob Re: Apple Airport Express - 15th Dec 2011 9:01am
Have a look at the Pinnacle SoundBridge. It'll do what you want over wifi, plus you can get internet radio on it.

Just be aware that one of the biggest sources of RF interference in the home is the microwave.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Airport Express - 15th Dec 2011 10:06am
For a cheaper alternative, you can get an FM transmitter for buttons off Ebay and simply plug it into your ipod. Tune your stereo to a free frequency and away you go. Works great in the house and its a much cheaper alternative. You can even get remote controlled ones....

My 2c
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Apple Airport Express - 15th Dec 2011 10:09am
Heres one for the home:

http://www.ecostings.com/en/fm-tran...r-ipod.html?language=en&currency=GBP

I use this one in the car but it also works great at parties etc. Its portable so you can take it to friends houses and hijack their stereo.

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/20445795/Poundmart-FM-Transmitter-For-iPods-iPhones-iTouch-With-Car-Charger-And-Remote-Black/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:20445795%7Cprd:20445795

The sound quality will be slightly better than the radio. If your looking for Hi fidelity then your better off getting an Airport or using a Laptop. Saying that, if you wanted HI-FI, you wouldnt be using an Ipod.
Posted By: Brocks Re: Apple Airport Express - 16th Dec 2011 11:42pm
I went into and apple shop today and talked to them. Brought one home. smile

Right now Blondie is beaming across the house!!!! boohoo

The device should be able to link to my existing WIFI modem which is a netgear 834. Thus I should be able to stream music and surf at the same time as the PC or Ipod is only using one wifi connection. However, it has proved to be a real head ache. I think the Apple Airport and netgear device are not fully compatible. So for now the express is "stand Alone" so I can connect to the internet or the stereo. I'm not giving up yet!!! confused
Posted By: Brocks Re: Apple Airport Express - 17th Dec 2011 12:50am
yes yes yes!!!!!

A single option change in the netgear configuration and I am there.....First time I've taken on IP addresses and wireless protocols etc......Whos the daddy!!! laugh
Posted By: Brocks Re: Apple Airport Express - 18th Dec 2011 12:05pm
Originally Posted by little_pob
Have a look at the Pinnacle SoundBridge. It'll do what you want over wifi, plus you can get internet radio on it.

Just be aware that one of the biggest sources of RF interference in the home is the microwave.

You're not wrong as I have discovered....but we don't use the microwave a lot so I can tolerate it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral