Forums
Posted By: Clive Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 6:06pm
I have a Linksys Wireless router Model WRT16ONL, that was issued to me by one of my survey sites, and asked to plug cable from it into my normal router, its for mesuring braodband speed.

The firmware init will not let me access router page, is there any way i can flash it so i can use it as a normal router.

The survey site has kept me and 1000 others waiting for our cheques for installing this, so i am going to disconnect it.

this is the router http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT160NL
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 6:14pm
Nope, not if you can't access it. You need to be able to use the browser based software to flash the image over to DD-WRT.
Posted By: Clive Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 6:17pm
Oh well, thought there might of been a chance, thanks for your replie.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 6:28pm
They use a customised openwrt firmware on these boxes, you might be able to ftp into it instead of http.
Posted By: Clive Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 6:30pm
No idea what you mean, just went right over my head that one.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 6:44pm
Have a look at the section "Uploading new firmware" HERE

You'll need a wander around the OpenWRT website to see what firmware you need.

FTP = File Transfer Protocol (I normally use FileZilla as my FTP client)

Beware that you need to know exactly what you are doing, as with updating most firmwares - if it goes wrong, you've got yourself a new doorstop.
Posted By: Clive Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 8:19pm
To complicated for me
Posted By: karlb Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 8:28pm
Try here wrtl160nl nice easy step by step for dd-wrt
Posted By: Clive Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 8:43pm
thanks for that, but i can not access router page, the survey site has there own firmware on it, which restricts me accessing router page
Posted By: karlb Re: Router Query - 12th Dec 2011 9:32pm
The only other way is to flash through serial/jtag. What was the survey site maybe there's login and password for the router out there on the internet.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Router Query - 15th Dec 2011 2:17pm
That's what I would also suggest, jtag is not for the novice and will involve a solder iron.

I would imaging that the router will have a port 80 login page still. It's an interesting one really have a look around the wrt sites for any tips
Posted By: karlb Re: Router Query - 15th Dec 2011 9:48pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
That's what I would also suggest, jtag is not for the novice and will involve a solder iron.

No need for soldering for this router for serial ports just modify a rj45 cable and for jtag it uses a EJTAG port
wrt160nl You could try the failsafe mode at the bottom of the page to reset your password.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Router Query - 24th Dec 2011 12:27pm
Interesting. I never knew you could Kraft over modded ethernet. I have used pogo jags in the past but it's hit and miss.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral