Forums
Posted By: Helles Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 8:21pm
I put my laptop on the floor and went to plug it into the mains. I dropped the plug on it and it appears to have broken the screen. To all intents and purposes the screen feels okay but obviously something behind is broken because it looks like a broken window.

The laptop is less than a year old but no warranty would cover this type of thing. I am not going to claim on household insurance due to excesses and the like so a) can it be fixed and b) what kind of price are we likely to be looking at?

Thanks
Posted By: Clive Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 8:24pm
Make and model number, would help, it makes it easier to find a price for screen.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 8:24pm
When my screen broke I bought a new one for about £40 and got someone to put it in for me for free! Even I know how to do it myself so I'm sure you could do it or get a friend who knows how!
I took it to a computer shop first, quoted me £120 and five weeks later still hadn't bought a screen in for it, so I asked for it back and got the £40 one from ebay, all sorted within days!
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 8:28pm
Cheaper to get a new laptop in the long run, unless its a really good laptop worth over 400
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 8:39pm
Originally Posted by Steve123
Cheaper to get a new laptop in the long run, unless its a really good laptop worth over 400

[Linked Image]
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 8:57pm
LMFAO raftl
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 9:12pm
Can I suggest before buying a new screen try attaching a monitor to it to make sure the laptop itself is still working
Posted By: Steve123 Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 9:24pm
Ex0.......shut up you tart
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 9:44pm
Steve lol Exo is a bloke ?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 9:45pm
Originally Posted by gypsyjune
Steve lol Exo is a bloke ?
you sure?

wink
Posted By: gypsyjune Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 9:53pm
yes Steve i believe it` a bloke did try to pm you first but your inbox is full ignore the avitar bit smile
Posted By: Helles Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 10:14pm
It's a Toshiba 660. This is what the screen shows.

Attached picture IMGP2790.JPG
Posted By: Clive Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 10:31pm
Screens on ebay
Posted By: Helles Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 10:43pm
Thought they would be more than that. How difficult are they to fit? Thanks for the info.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 10:51pm
Takes 15 mins son, get it sorted and don't be a mug paying £50 labour to someone else wink
Posted By: TheDr Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 10:52pm
It's not a difficult one to do, if you get the screen yourself and don't feel confident doing it I've known people to call into a certain computer shop that I can't name with a box/tin of chocolates and one of the girls has done it whilst they wait (Roses are £5 a tin at Tesco's at the moment).

Don't let the boss find out smile
Posted By: Wench Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 11:06pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
It's not a difficult one to do, if you get the screen yourself and don't feel confident doing it I've known people to call into a certain computer shop that I can't name with a box/tin of chocolates and one of the girls has done it whilst they wait (Roses are £5 a tin at Tesco's at the moment).

Don't let the boss find out smile

If you time it lucky, the boss might be in the chinese getting something to eat wink If it's the shop I'm thinking of, the boss is lovely anyway smile
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 11:13pm
guess i might need to stock up on the old rose's while there cheap..good to know there's a nice doc out there..hope the screen gets fixed helles..
Posted By: Clive Re: Disaster - 9th Dec 2011 11:21pm
Am sure if you have alook on this website you will find a good place Clicky

332-336 Old Chester Road
Rock Ferry
Birkenhead
Wirral
CH42 3XE

Posted By: Helles Re: Disaster - 10th Dec 2011 12:22am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Takes 15 mins son, get it sorted and don't be a mug paying £50 labour to someone else wink

I'm 61 but thanks for the info. smile
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Disaster - 10th Dec 2011 11:37am
This happened to my daughters laptop. I searched on ebay for the same model that was broken but had a good screen. Bought one for 30 quid and used a you tube tutorial to swap the lid section, took half an hour. A good solution for 30 quid smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral