Forums
Posted By: chris7777 phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 8:20am
Hi All,
i'm having problems with my phone socket----here's what's happening------the line is very crackley,i am with Orange for phone&broadband,i have been on to them about this and they have checked the line and they say there are no faults on the line, the phone itself has been checked,i've tried another phone in the socket and it's still the same,also tried plugging phone directly into socket without the filter for broadband and it's still the same,so Orange say it's because i have an old BT socket and it needs renewing,and they say it will cost £100-£150 and £50 an hour after that!!! well i have to say it's a no no, cos i can't afford that!!!!! as long as i can get my internet i'm not bothered about the phone as i have my mobile and besides i did'nt use the landline that much, only after 7pm when i got my free calls lol------------
does anyone work for BT and are those prices right?
i know that if it's an outside fault there's no charge for repair,but i think those charges are a bit steep!
chris.
Posted By: Lando Re: phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 10:20am
I can fit you a new socket PM me
Posted By: little_pob Re: phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 11:02am
Unscrew the face plate of the master box. There should be a test socket which you can connect your phone too.

If you're still getting crackling when connected to this there is probably a fault on or with the line. If your line rental is still with BT, they should repair this for free - however, when you call to book an engineer they will warn you there will be a call out fee if the fault is on your equipment or caused by you (e.g. if someone has nailed through the phone line). If Orange are now responsible for the line, they may charge you regardless.

If the crackling stops when using the test socket there is a fault with the face plate. BT will charge a callout fee and for parts to fix this. Master box face plates (including the "iplate") are readily available on ebay.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 11:12am
Originally Posted by little_pob
Unscrew the face plate of the master box. There should be a test socket which you can connect your phone too.

If you're still getting crackling when connected to this there is probably a fault on or with the line. If your line rental is still with BT, they should repair this for free - however, when you call to book an engineer they will warn you there will be a call out fee if the fault is on your equipment or caused by you (e.g. if someone has nailed through the phone line). If Orange are now responsible for the line, they may charge you regardless.

If the crackling stops when using the test socket there is a fault with the face plate. BT will charge a callout fee and for parts to fix this. Master box face plates (including the "iplate") are readily available on ebay.

already unscrewed the faceplate and there is no other socket there so they say it must be an old socket----thanks anyway-
Posted By: chris7777 Re: phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 11:15am
Originally Posted by LandoWJ

can't pm you as it says your over your topic limit!
Posted By: little_pob Re: phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 1:29pm
To be honest it's easy enough to fit the box yourself: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Posted By: Clive Re: phone socket help please! - 8th Dec 2011 1:34pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
Originally Posted by LandoWJ

can't pm you as it says your over your topic limit!
Chris, I have a new i plate socket you can have free of charge, it is very very easy to fit, you could have it done in less than 5 mins, I can fit it for you free of charge if you want, just pm me.
Am off out at 2pm and wont be back till this evening, so will replie then.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral