Forums
Posted By: Clive Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 4:06pm
I have an old pc running vista, and i have forgotten password to log on to pc.

Is there anyway i can find out what it is
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 4:14pm
Can use 0phcrack and crack the password with rainbow tables if you need to actually find out what the password is, though the easiest way (assuming you've confirmed that the normally enabled Admin account doesn't work by trying to login as Administrator through safe mode with command prompt with no passwd) is to just use a windows password reset disk from btjunkie which just resets the password to blank.

Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 4:21pm
am just downloading ophcrack now and then will burn it to disk and try that, thanks
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 6:43pm
Hi M8,

The simplest way is to remove the power supply and take out the back-up battery - leave it out for bout 2-3 mins then replace it and this will delete all passwords that are stored.

BTW - this is not Nigel, it is his m8 Phil

Try it
Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 7:09pm
This will not work, it is the password to get in to windows, i need
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 7:24pm
If you are just after some files then slave the drive, get the files job done.
Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 7:40pm
carnt, it wont let me access files
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 9:13pm
Did you set an Administrator password? (Not a user such as 'Willow' with administrator rights. If not log on as administrator then you can change your password and have access to all filest etc....
Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 9:21pm
i booted it in safe mode and no option comes up to start into admin, all so password reset disc dont work it says corrupt registry, other programme that exo mentioned finds no password, can not use recovery partion it is passworded as well
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:11pm
You're left with completely formatting the drive and reinstalling windows.

I'd suggest not bothering with partitions in the future and just use the 1 windows creates on install. Recovery partitions are way more trouble than they are worth as long as you have your files kept on an external.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:13pm
Lol laugh

If you want to unlock and access files unlock it using windows 7 admin account via a drivebay smile
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:28pm
Just boot as normal, then when asked for the password just pres ESC key a couple of times then you should get the administrator log in...
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:36pm
Whoops wrong instructions (that was for XP)- try this method...
1. You must restart your computer system to be able to boot in Safe Mode .
2. When the Windows screen appears, press the F8 key.
3. From the list, go to the option Microsoft Windows by using your keyboard arrows.
4. Instead of pressing the Enter key, press the F8 key again to display the Safe Mode boot screen.
5. Choose Safe Mode from the list and press the Enter key.
6. You will hence be taken to the log in screen that will display the Administrator account icon among your other current account/s.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:41pm
He said he couldn't login as admin on like the second post he made dude.
Posted By: janjan Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:56pm
This happened to me a while ago..Simple way to do it is to boot up in safe mode..Open the control panel...go to 'user accounts'...then delete the password from the admin account!!This defp works as we've done it on 2 laptops since..good luck.
Posted By: janjan Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 10:57pm
Meant to say, you don't need to log in as admin to do this, just delete the password.
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 11:02pm
not the normal safe mode log in...this is a slightly different method using the F8 in safe mode (which he got in to in his 9.21 post)
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 11:18pm
Ignoring the fact that the list you made simply doesn't make sense (asking the user to select the operating system before they even get to the safe mode list), you're still asking him to login to the admin account in safe mode. Which he said he can't do because the default account isn't enabled.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 11:24pm
Account restriction so I believe smile
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Password Help - 6th Dec 2011 11:25pm
just checked on an old Vista lappy - works for me exactly as listed - I never set a true administrator password at any point which very few people do....
Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 7th Dec 2011 8:52am
Originally Posted by janjan
This happened to me a while ago..Simple way to do it is to boot up in safe mode..Open the control panel...go to 'user accounts'...then delete the password from the admin account!!This defp works as we've done it on 2 laptops since..good luck.
this does not work, as it does not bring up admin account, just 2 users both passworded
Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 7th Dec 2011 8:54am
Originally Posted by Digital_twiddler
just checked on an old Vista lappy - works for me exactly as listed - I never set a true administrator password at any point which very few people do....
admin account is turned of as default on vista.

Any way i have managed to do it now, its been set back to factory, after doing back up first
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Password Help - 7th Dec 2011 8:58am
Originally Posted by Willo
Originally Posted by Digital_twiddler
admin account is turned of as default on vista.

Any way i have managed to do it now, its been set back to factory, after doing back up first

Did you do it via bios willo?
Posted By: Clive Re: Password Help - 7th Dec 2011 9:08am
no, I used hp system restore,
Posted By: dave_h Re: Password Help - 7th Dec 2011 2:06pm
the misses's mate son forgot his password, after a bit of searching i was able to use a program called spotmau, bang cd in, boot off cd and change the password on vista doesnt take that long
© Wirral-Wikiwirral