Forums
Posted By: Bench Local Server - 24th Nov 2011 9:30pm
Thinking of reducing the need for a third party to host my website and buy a server that i can store locally in my home.

Any ideas on what would be a suitable option to run a small community website, quite similar to WikiWiki ?

Thanks
Posted By: MikeT Re: Local Server - 25th Nov 2011 7:31am
Originally Posted by Bench
Any ideas on what would be a suitable option to run a small community website, quite similar to WikiWiki ?

This: CLICKY

Absolute bargain at 140 quid with cashback.

I got one earlier this year and it's a cracker.

Posted By: ex0__ Re: Local Server - 25th Nov 2011 9:12am
You intend to host this box at your home? If it's going to get the amount of users (and therefore traffic) that this site does, I hope you've got a hell of a connection and don't intend to use it for torrenting or anything else. A home connection with the normal 1mb upstream is not going to cut it for anything beyond a basic html site oshocked

Do you know how to set up proper DoS/DDoS protection and know server security? May want to look into a UPS for the server if you intend it to have 99+% uptime.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Server - 25th Nov 2011 8:40pm
I can't see the advantage of not using a remote server, generally saves a lot of problems unless you really lay capital into your home server system.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Local Server - 25th Nov 2011 10:12pm
What he said ^^

Rent a virtual server and if your site does get a worthwhile amount of traffic then look at a shared server/full server depending on traffic flow.
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 10:59pm
Try this - it's free - so you have nothing to loose! www.000webhosts.com .......
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 11:05pm
Originally Posted by Digital_twiddler
Try this - it's free - so you have nothing to loose! www.000webhosts.com .......
That site doesn't exist, its just a holding page displaying search stuff.
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 11:15pm
that is a triple zero not oh oh oh 8-)
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 11:16pm
ashamed... www.000webhost.com no 's' at the end of webhost ....
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 11:21pm
just a note - I have about 47 sites using them and when clients are satisfied I just upgrade them to their sister company for better reliability www.hosting24.com which is reasonable cost wise and very reliable with excellent support....
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 11:34pm
They've got some awful reviews (apart from ones written by themselves on their own sites), have you had any trouble with down times?
Posted By: Digital_twiddler Re: Local Server - 6th Dec 2011 11:46pm
Minor trouble over the last 2 years and I mean minor trouble but it is free... I use the free one mainly for testing never for a truly live site (mainly due to their limitations) I also use a couple of other paid hosting companies, they are all the same - you do get problems but nothing really to complain about. The hosting24 has been good for me (used for ecommerce (shops) and just basic sites for basic advertising, holistic therapies, garages and similar that only sell their 'service'...as I said - it's free...give em a try - just back up you work to your Pc...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral