Forums
Posted By: phalinmegob laptop hard drive - 15th Nov 2011 10:11pm
hi all, does anyone have a laptop hard drive they dont need as my sons laptop wont work.it is a toshiba satellite pro l300 and was given to him whilst at rock ferry high school but now they have moved to the park high site the teachers have told them they can have them and no longer have any support for them.the bios is passworded and i cannot get in to it, will not boot up to vista(gets to the desktop picture and stops there,no icons or taskbar). booted it up using a hirens cd and disk scan tells me hard drive is fecked.
Posted By: Clive Re: laptop hard drive - 15th Nov 2011 10:33pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
hi all, does anyone have a laptop hard drive they dont need as my sons laptop wont work.it is a toshiba satellite pro l300 and was given to him whilst at rock ferry high school but now they have moved to the park high site the teachers have told them they can have them and no longer have any support for them.the bios is passworded and i cannot get in to it, will not boot up to vista(gets to the desktop picture and stops there,no icons or taskbar). booted it up using a hirens cd and disk scan tells me hard drive is fecked.
clear the bios password, by moving jumper pin inside to clear password
Posted By: ex0__ Re: laptop hard drive - 16th Nov 2011 1:06am
How is that going to help him when the Hirens is telling him there's bad sectors on the drive?

Also if it's clearing the bios password it's the bios battery you want to remove. Take it out for 15mins and the bios will reset.
Posted By: TheDr Re: laptop hard drive - 16th Nov 2011 4:16am
Okay, this is a direct copy from one of the Toshiba Forums, it does work, but is a lot of fiddling around, however IMHO the best way as BIOS battery removal doesn't work with this model.

I do have one of the Toshiba password clear dongles but I'm not sure that it works with this model.

Follow these steps to remove / disable the BIOS (CMOS) Password on the Satellite L300 / L305 / L300D / L305D models:

1. Turn the computer OFF, if it's on.
2. Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the battery.
3. Remove the memory module cover, on the bottom of the computer.
4. Remove any memory modules that are installed.

go to the link to see picture

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/bulletins/su2044812...ilm-06.jpg

5. With the computer oriented as in the photo above, grasp the Mylar film at the upper left corner and peel it to the right -- far enough to expose the B500 solder pads (see photo below). Attach a 4" long piece of tape to the underside of the Mylar film. Do not remove the film completely, because it may be difficult to re-attach it correctly.
6. Insert one of the memory modules into the innermost socket (at left).
7. Secure the tape to the computer's case, as shown below, to keep the Mylar film from covering the solder pads.

go to the link to see picture

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/bulletins/su2044812/009.jpg

8. Reconnect the AC adapter.
9. Short the B500 solder pads on the system board. Needle-nose pliers or a flat-blade screwdriver works well to short them.
10. While continuing to short-circuit the solder pads, turn the computer on, and continue shorting the pads until the Toshiba Logo Screen disappears. If the password has been successfully removed, the computer will not display a BIOS password prompt before starting Windows or another OS.
11. Shut down Windows or other OS, making sure the the computer turns off.
12. Disconnect the AC adapter.
13. Remove the memory module and re-position the Mylar film over the system board.
14. Re-insert all memory modules.
15. Re-attach the memory slot cover.
16. Re-insert the battery and connect the AC adapter.
17. Restart the computer to verify that the password prompt no longer appears. If it does still appear, then repeat this procedure, starting with step 1

For toshiba, its really an official procedure made in toshiba standard labs......it works 100% as i have tested many times and it works......some times people burnd the motherboard because they dont use proper antistatic device and they burn motherboards with discharge....
If this procedure doesnt work with a flat headed screw driver use a paper clip or something metalica that short two points of B500 pads.....

You can make a solder bridge - two points with a fine iron tip

You WILL need to sort out a new drive afterwards though if Hirens is telling you that the old one is FUBAR
Posted By: Clive Re: laptop hard drive - 16th Nov 2011 6:46am
Originally Posted by ex0__
How is that going to help him when the Hirens is telling him there's bad sectors on the drive?

Also if it's clearing the bios password it's the bios battery you want to remove. Take it out for 15mins and the bios will reset.
It's not going to help him, I never said it would.
I only said what worked for me on an old pc I was given that had a password on bios, I tried removing battery, it didnt work for me, am not saying it wont work.

If you want a 250gb laptop drive pm me, I have one for sale. As I just upgraded to a 500gb.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: laptop hard drive - 16th Nov 2011 7:21am
thanks, i may have a go at that one dr but it sounds a little out of my depth.suppose i have nothing to lose as its useless at the moment. can i change a hard drive without having to get in to the bios ? will it configure itself.
Posted By: Clive Re: laptop hard drive - 16th Nov 2011 8:49am
It should auto detect new drive
© Wirral-Wikiwirral