Forums
Posted By: seanmackie Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:16pm
Hi all,

I've been offered and iphone 3gs for £50 but its locked to O2 and I'm on Vodafone. How easy is it to get it unlocked? Any rough ideas where I could get it done and how much for?

Cheers Sean
Posted By: TheDr Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:19pm
Grab it with both hands, definitely worth it, and if you don't want it, I will :-)
Posted By: ianyam Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:20pm
There is a place in Birkenhead market, its called starlight mobiles, He also has a shop in Liscard market. http://www.starlightmobiles.com/starlight-store.html
Posted By: seanmackie Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:26pm
Ok cheers you two. I've checked out that website and I need the IMEI number to get a quote, bugt I dont have it so do you have any idea how much they charge?

Sean
Posted By: TheDr Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:28pm
Starlight charges £60 to do it, if you go on the O2 website and fill out the form it's free if you're on contract or £15 if PAYG, which is basically all they do.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:36pm
Originally Posted by seanmackie
Hi all,

I've been offered and iphone 3gs for £50 but its locked to O2 and I'm on Vodafone. How easy is it to get it unlocked? Any rough ideas where I could get it done and how much for?

Cheers Sean

Is it knock off?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:38pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America

Is it knock off?

Be aware, if it is, even if you have the phone unlocked it would still be barred by the networks and wouldn't work.
Posted By: seanmackie Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:39pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Hi all,

Cheers Sean

Is it knock off?

Nope.
Posted By: seanmackie Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 7:42pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
Starlight charges £60 to do it, if you go on the O2 website and fill out the form it's free if you're on contract or £15 if PAYG, which is basically all they do.

The person I would be getting it from has just upgraded to a iphone 4s on a new contract so the contract for the 3gs has now ended. With the phone technically being there's and me not being an O2 costumer, would they need to phone O2 up to unlock it or could I do it?

Sean
Posted By: Chorizo Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 8:54pm
I personally wouldn't use starlight after shocking customer service from the liscard branch. They had my phone for 10 weeks to replace the LCD screen and in the end I got it back and i was told it couldn't even be fixed!
Posted By: cathie Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 11:07pm
There's a fella in St Johns Market who unlocks them for £20
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 9th Nov 2011 11:54pm
Is Starlight the ones with all the LED signs that go over the walkway?

If those are the ones they are very slap-dash.

Took something in to be repaired, they gave me a quote which seemed reasonable. They took it in and took my details saying they would ring when it was ready, it might take a couple of days due to the backlog.

Nearly two weeks went by, I rang them to be told it hadnt been repaired as the cost would now be double what they quoted, so they didnt want to go ahead without speaking to me!!! If I wanted it back I had to give them a couple of days to get it back from the main shop.

They hadnt even phoned me. So now I just say to anyone to steer clear of them. Once bitten.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 10th Nov 2011 12:37am

The person I would be getting it from has just upgraded to a iphone 4s on a new contract so the contract for the 3gs has now ended. With the phone technically being there's and me not being an O2 costumer, would they need to phone O2 up to unlock it or could I do it?

Sean

If he goes onto the O2 website and fills in the online form HERE then they should unlock it for free, usually takes a few days but I've known it be done in under an hour.
Posted By: seanmackie Re: Is this worth it??? (iphone) - 10th Nov 2011 10:25pm

Sean

If he goes onto the O2 website and fills in the online form HERE then they should unlock it for free, usually takes a few days but I've known it be done in under an hour.

Ok cheers pal.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral