Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 2:18pm
Bought an iPod touch 8gb 3rd gen off grandson
Can anyone suggest some really useful apps and what they can do that I could download free or pay for and what site they are on - bearing in mind I'm an older person.
I haven't the foggiest what is what about them
Posted By: little_pob Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 2:38pm
Unless it's jailbroken you'll be doing everything through itunes - so download and install that: http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Once that's done, you'll need to connect the ipod via USB. On connection you'll probably get a warning about the ipod being synced somewhere else. Okaying that message should sync the ipod with your itunes.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 2:49pm
(Sorry edit timed out.)

You get the official apps from the itunes store. You have to register, with a debit/credit card, to be able to use it.

And to add music to your itunes you've 3 options:
  1. Download from the itunes store.
  2. Rip from CD.
  3. To add music already on your computer or obtained via other download services such as Amazon MP3, HMV digital etc, use the "Automatically added to iTunes" folder created when you installed itunes. The location the folder is created will depend on your operating system and settings you've used
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 2:54pm
thanks for your help but I really want to know the names and what they do of some useful (maybe essential) apps

Have got my fav music on it such as Al Jolsen,Paul Robeson,
Richard Tauber,Nelson Eddie oldman
laffin
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 3:15pm
There's 1000's of apps on the app store, something's that are useful to me may be of no interest to you. What kind of category are you looking for? You can do searches on the app store and read reviews. Sometimes you can get a trial app for free then if you like it buy the full one.
Search the app store for categories and check out the top apps
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 4:48pm
I'd suggest jailbreaking it asap if you're after any of the good apps, most of the stuff on the apple store is junk.
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 4:49pm
The google apps are always worth a download and are free, well they are on android anyway
Posted By: little_pob Re: Wanted info on apps for IPOD - 1st Oct 2011 6:55pm
To be honest, the only app I've got on my ipod is the Logitech Touch Mouse for use with my HTPC: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/494/6367

There is a Kindle app that allows you to read ebooks.

The problem is many of the more useful apps (i.e. non-game) are aimed more at the iphone and 3G ipads. For example one of the sky apps allows you to set recordings on your set-top box remotely. To use them with the ipod touch, you'll need wifi access.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral