Forums
Posted By: Wench Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 8:03am
Does anyone have a Kindle or similar type of item? Apart from Amazon, are there any sites to get books from either for free or at a reduced price? I've clicked on a few but they seem to be just lists of other sites and my notifications for unsafe sites is having a meltdown raftl

I've had a look on Waterstones & WHSmith, but they seem to be more expensive than Amazon and have a smaller selection frown
Posted By: baldybrewer Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 8:28am
pm sent.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 8:36am
I also have a kindle , so i would be interested in any free e-book sites.
Posted By: Toffeenose Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 9:03am
cheers for the replies folks..And Wench...."And if ya know ya history"...
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 9:13am
grin
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 9:28am
Free e books

Useful list of sites offering free e books.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 10:17am
Very difficult to find the 1-million or so free books Amazon claim they have.

As such try http://openlibrary.org/ - who have over 1,000,000 public domain works.

If you are happy to pirate ebooks then Calibre and your favourite download platform will probably have bundles of ebooks...
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 10:20am
Can download them by the thousands from most torrent sites, btjunkie seems to have the best trackers for ebooks.
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 10:23am
I've got Calibre but no idea how to use it yet raftl I see a lot on some sites are pdf files - tried using them but it's too hard to read them so I've binned them off. Something was said by a friend about Mobi but as I've only had it 2 days and said I'd never have one in the house, let alone own one, I am none the wiser.

It's annoying that some of my favourite authors don't have any ebooks frown
Posted By: Snickas Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 10:24am
have you seen the new kindle's?
some of my fb friends were going sick about them [Linked Image]

Kindle Fire
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 10:27am
I don't like it frown My best friend was telling me to have an ipad but I don't like them either. I opted for the normal keypad one without 3G (no idea what it is anyway so it's no loss raftl ) As long as I can read books on it and buy books on it, that's all I need to know.

Although I did discover I can tweet from it grin
Posted By: arwen444 Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 12:05pm
have a kindle with 3g but going to upgrade to the fire when its released in the uk.havent downloaded any books from anywhere except amazon.for all the hassle involved in other sites they are not really that expensive to download from amazon.
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 12:08pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Can download them by the thousands from most torrent sites, btjunkie seems to have the best trackers for ebooks.

I can't seem to get on sites like that frown A friend suggested one called nwz something or other and I couldn't get on that either, kept coming up something about server. Having to convert them to mobi or whatever it is is too much like hard work when you're not that savvy frown

I'll just buy one a month or so I think, although there's one I will have to save up for but I really want it so it's worth it smile Serves me right for being such an IT spac raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 1st Oct 2011 1:18pm
Oh bugger - I've just found all the works of Shakespeare (including Sonnets), Dickens etc and all my favourite poets (Keats, Yeats etc).

I'm happy as a pig in muck raftl
Posted By: 1971efc Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Oct 2011 2:33pm
just downloaded nearly 6 gig worth of books myself sci-fi and fantasy,,, turtledove, piers anthony, feist, pratchet diskworld books 1--35, douglas adams, kevin J anderson and many many more
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 18th Oct 2011 9:45pm
I don't suppose anyone fancies sharing any of their books do they? I'm after Terry Pratchett books. I have mainly horror, medical thrillers, murders etc if that's any help to anyone. Oh, and a lot of cook books!
Posted By: zigzagwanderer Re: Kindle ebooks - 19th Oct 2011 8:02am
PM.d.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kindle ebooks - 19th Oct 2011 8:13am
I didn't know you could share Kindle books, I thought they were stored in your personal Amazon account, you can't even gift books yet, you have to buy vouchers.
Posted By: Wench Re: Kindle ebooks - 19th Oct 2011 3:10pm
I think you can send them to another one via the kindle email if it's on your "trusted list" of email addy's.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kindle ebooks - 25th Oct 2011 3:07pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
withthat I do this got over 6,000 books but don't look for ebooks on there put in kindle you'll get more books come up wink
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 3:56pm
I'm after a bit of advice,i fancy getting a kindle,but i'm a complete novice techno wise!

Could i download books using a dongle,and which kindle would you recommend?
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 4:44pm
kindle is 3g enabled so you can download anywhere you dont need a dongle
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 4:56pm
the amazon one is good for a low cost one with this you get e ink display which it high contrast display and crisp text it holds 1,400 books if you are using it on your boat, you get up to one month on a single charge, no need for a computer, you can adjust the text side so no strain on your eyes.

it has free cloud backup which automatically backs up your books so you'll never lose your book

built in dictionary

you can email your documents to it
most do this but why pay £140 for something you can get for £89 cheaper again if you shop around smile

up downfall is theres no text to speech for this as of yet (it reads the book to you)

Posted By: DickyJim Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 4:57pm
only if its the 3g one lord of the m53 and it said above that it was the none 3g one that Wench had bought.

yes poodlepup you can download them using a dongle or opt for a 3g version and due to arrangments that amazon have with some of the biggest telephone networks in the world you can use 3g for free.
Posted By: poodlepup Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 5:03pm
Thanks for all your replies,was thinking about getting the cheaper one,and i don't really want some computer voice thingy reading the books for me!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 6:41pm
Are book illustrations and charts etc., only displayed in black and white?
Was just wondering if you bought an e-book or magazine via kindle, would you lose out on colour?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 9:21pm
Originally Posted by geekus
Are book illustrations and charts etc., only displayed in black and white?
Was just wondering if you bought an e-book or magazine via kindle, would you lose out on colour?

on the amazon one yes as its only gray, but not on the nook E-reader or Ipad but at the mo the ipad e-reader is temperamental as in only some magazins work on it.

download the free kindle app for pc's from amazon and have a play about with it.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Kindle ebooks - 2nd Nov 2011 9:28pm
Cheers thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral