Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Anti Virus / Firewall - 30th Jun 2011 5:22pm
If money was not a problem, which is the best one to go for, that wont slow laptop down, what do people recommend.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 30th Jun 2011 5:25pm
we are using norton 360
seams to work well for us....
Posted By: little_pob Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 30th Jun 2011 6:20pm
Amazon had a few of the security programs on special a couple of months back.

Picked up a 3 user version of f-secure for £8 and put it on mine and the parents computers. It was too intrusive for me, so I switched to Eset Smart Security for £23 for a 3 user licence and put it on the PC and laptop and gave the spare licence to a mate who just uses the antivirus side along with Windows 7's built in firewall.

7dayshop is one of the cheapest places you'll find Eset/Nod32 at the moment: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_5&products_id=111832
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 30th Jun 2011 8:29pm
I have used Kaspersky for the last year - and it seems good (and importantly, NOT INTRUSIVE)

3-user licence job is around £18 from Amazon, less obviously for a single user.

On my 4th machine I am using Avira (free) and I have to say that seems to be quite acceptable. Certainly MUCH better than AVG.

From past experiences I would not touch Norton with a big stick

Snod
Posted By: Necronuss Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 30th Jun 2011 8:47pm
I always use eset nod32, Very good piece of software and has a small memory footprint

As Little pob said thats a very good price for it indeed

You cn get a free months trial from their site tho so you can test it for your lappy.

Just make sure you dont use more than one antiV as they dont like getting on with eachother

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 1st Jul 2011 7:30am
Thanks for all info
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 1st Jul 2011 10:18am
Sophos Anti Virus hands down.
Use it on my servers in work and at home
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Anti Virus / Firewall - 1st Jul 2011 3:22pm
ESET Smart Security of course - reliable, consistent protection for years, and you don't even notice it is running!

v5 looks even better, supposed to be even lighter and better interface - not upgraded to it yet (all users regardless of it they purchased v3 or v4 will be eligible), waiting for it to come out dev testing!

As you may notice, money can b an issue with ESET, as it £20 for PC's, pennies in all honesty. PC World are currently charging £49.99 for it (though they do include free ESET Mobile Security with theirs - which is only handy if you have a Windows Mobile phone lol).

I see you gave up on F-secure in the end little_pob, quite interesting, I was running it last year, and apart from a clunky interface, I didn't notice any problems with it. They must have changed it, for the worse.

Norton - stay away, absolute shite, Kaspersky is alright, but can cause very noticeable slowdowns when it is running updates, the other problem is on some PC's it bogs the computer down as if the PC had a virus. The missus was running it before I go the new ESET license, and it was terribly slow,. thought she had malware, removed Kaspersky and all was back to normal, scanned with Mbytes etc, and no problems found, so can only assume it was Kaspersky. She is now running ESET without issue.

Btw, 7dayshop has changed the price to £15.99 delivered for ESET, that is quite simply amazing, a fiver a system!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral