Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Why do these virii (sp?) keep coming back? - 30th Jun 2011 3:24pm
Is that the plural is virus? Who knows.

Anyway, for this very reason I hate PC's and can't wait to get home and open up the Mac.

These things keep showing up, and I have something on the PC which redirects my searches to weird sites, I can't actually click a Google link from a search without it sending me off to something completely irrelevant.

yes man,

Download malwarebytes should sort it out for you. Its one of the most annoying virus/malware
Posted By: oitsnik Re: Why do these virii (sp?) keep coming back? - 30th Jun 2011 4:25pm
Remember to turn OFF system restore before running any malware programme after you have run malware switch it back on as system restore will have a copy of the virus and will just keep re-installing it.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Why do these virii (sp?) keep coming back? - 1st Jul 2011 4:54am
Originally Posted by Nobody
I have something on the PC which redirects my searches to weird sites, I can't actually click a Google link from a search without it sending me off to something completely irrelevant.

As well as malwarebytes, download and run Spybot Search and Destroy (free) from http://www.safer-networking.org, then in this order:

1. update it
2. run the Immunize tool
3. run the Search and Destroy tool and click "Check for problems"

Then uninstall whatever anti-virus you are using and install Microsoft Security Essentials (google it) and you're good to go.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Why do these virii (sp?) keep coming back? - 1st Jul 2011 8:07am
It's my work computer so I can't be installing software on it of any type, don't have permissions.

The scan I posted a screenshot of seemed to sort it but I'm more concerned about where I might be picking them up from.

Obviously I don't want IT support delving into my surfing habits too much!
Posted By: MikeT Re: Why do these virii (sp?) keep coming back? - 2nd Jul 2011 7:32am
Well, if you've been to dodgy sites you know where the virus came from. Surfing dodgy sites on your employer's time is a good way to lose your job.
Posted By: BossFan Re: Why do these virii (sp?) keep coming back? - 2nd Jul 2011 9:13am
Originally Posted by MikeT
Well, if you've been to dodgy sites you know where the virus came from. Surfing dodgy sites on your employer's time is a good way to lose your job.

Probably the best advice you will get on here. IT support will likely have a log of all your surfing habits anyway. If you are surfing dodgy sites do it from home. If it isn't work related I wouldn't take the risk. There are many stories of people losing there jobs over this kind of behaviour, or posting on FB inappropriate comments.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral