Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 7:52am
My option button on start menu for log off / shut down / etc etc has vanished on my win 7 laptop, i tryed using task manager to shut down, but the option is not there, so i held down power button, and rebooted, thinking it would come back, but no, still not there, any ideas any one, bit of a strange one this.
Posted By: Mark Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 7:57am
Press CTRL + ESC

for that to happen its sounds like you could be infected ??
Try system restore it might bring it back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 8:03am
Still no option to shut down etc etc, i keep system restore turned off, so it looks like i will have to revert back to factory settings from recovery on partion,
Posted By: Mark Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 8:09am
Try Safe Mode !
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 8:34am
Can you do control alt delete or start > run > msconfig, or does it throw up access denied messages?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 8:42am
the run option has vanished aswell, and i carnt get into safe mode, i have tried cltl alt delete, there is no option to shut down that has gone aswell
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 8:46am
What happens when you control alt delete?

Why can't you get into safe mode?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 8:53am
Probably easier just to do a recovery then fat arse about.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 9:13am
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

I guess that's one way to go about it. Since he keeps posting these threads it might be an idea for him to persevere and learn how to fix his machine himself..
Posted By: bert1 Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 9:22am
I haven't got a clue about this but i do like learning off you guys, just googled, would this help.

) Click on the Start Menu and click into the “Search programs and files” dialog box
2) Type in the following and then hit enter; gpedit.msc
3) With gpedit now open go to the following section:
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar
4) Double click on ‘Remove and Prevent Access to the Shut Down command’
5) Set the option to “Disabled”
6) Click Apply

the shut down button should be back in the Start Menu.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 9:25am
Originally Posted by ex0__
Originally Posted by PaulWirral

I guess that's one way to go about it. Since he keeps posting these threads it might be an idea for him to persevere and learn how to fix his machine himself..
no one is forcing you to give advice, i am sorry for posting a computer query in this section, shall i post it in history section then
if you dont want to give advice then dont replie to my questions, am sure there will be someone who is more than happy to give advice and not moan about it
I am so sorry for being dum and not understanding every thing there is to know about pc's, and for asking for help/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 9:28am
Originally Posted by bert1
I haven't got a clue about this but i do like learning off you guys, just googled, would this help.

) Click on the Start Menu and click into the “Search programs and files” dialog box
2) Type in the following and then hit enter; gpedit.msc
3) With gpedit now open go to the following section:
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar
4) Double click on ‘Remove and Prevent Access to the Shut Down command’
5) Set the option to “Disabled”
6) Click Apply

the shut down button should be back in the Start Menu.

THANK YOU this has worked, and thanks for not moaning about giving advice and helping, (un like some) thanks
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 9:31am
/rolls eyes.

It's a two way system dude, when you ask for help and I try to figure out what's wrong you need to respond to me before I can suggest solutions. Otherwise we'd be sat here pasting solutions to problems that don't exist...

All I was saying was restoring to a backup is not the best way to fix a problem. You should try figuring it out (with help) before you resort to that.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 26th Jun 2011 11:11am
I do not think Willo was being unreasonable. When you are staring at a blank screen or a keyboard that does not respond as you would wish/ would expect then "trying to figure it out" is far from easy and could take days of research - for most of which you would need access to a computer/ internet!. Ex0 obviously has a level of knowledge about how these computers work that is MILES above my incompetence level so he may be able to figure it out - me? I just shout for help and folks like Bert get me out of a mess

Snod
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 27th Jun 2011 7:30am
I don't think I was being unreasonable either. I asked him questions and he wasn't responding. Gpedit changes do not happen randomly, it will turn out to be malware.

I wasn't really doing anything different from what Bert did, the only difference was I was getting more information before I started looking for solutions.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 27th Jun 2011 8:44am
We are all here to help each other (I hope) and each of us does things in different ways. Gpedit ? Personally I have never heard of it. Asking "why cant you get into Safe Mode" does not really help if you are an ignorant bugger like me and I guess Willo was equally ignorant and simply could not answer.

(accepted - ex0 may have been in separate communication by PM and Willo had not responded to the questions asked there.)

Snod
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 27th Jun 2011 9:38am
edit: nevermind )
Posted By: Nigel Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 27th Jun 2011 11:00am
Ladies and Gents can we please keep these forums civil !!

Thank you.
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 27th Jun 2011 11:14am
That was civil.

You're welcome.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Shut down / log off / button vanished win7 - 27th Jun 2011 3:39pm
I think we are all remarkably civil. The exchanges between Willo, ex0 and me are no more that would happen if we were all in the pub with our feet up. Individuals do differ and so we have to expect a range of views

Snod
© Wirral-Wikiwirral