Forums
Posted By: AX_125 Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 3:36pm
Anyone know people that can make me a custom surge protector.

It needs to be;

* 30m long
* The plug needs to be a male IEC connector, like the one here http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=CONIECM&seeimage=YES&img_name=iec_male
* The plugs on the surge protector need to be UK 3 prong plugs.

Basically, my routers are situated 30m away from my UPS and the all currently use UK style plugs.

Switching to larger devices is not an option at the moment.

thanks
Posted By: davew3 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 4:12pm
I am at a loss when you say surge protector when your using a ups, do you mean you need an iec male connector on a 30metre cable and a iec female on the other end ?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 5:32pm
I've got an old BT (I think) surge protector which basically consists of a cable going into one side of the "box" with a plug on it, and one going into the other side with a trailing sockey on it, you're welcome to it if you want it and just just the cables.

If your UPS is your surge protector (and it usually is) then all you need is a 30m long IEC power lead. I might have one in the back of the shop, I remember getting some when we had to install some 50m VGA cables a few years ago, if not I can pick you one up in the next few days (premade, molded) or get a male plug and fit it to 30m of cable for you.

Posted By: AX_125 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:02pm
Good point, yes the ups will be a surge protector, just a normal 4 point socket would be good
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:14pm
are you after a 4 sockets on a 30 m lead ?
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:15pm
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=4+way+socket&hl=en&prmd=ivns&resnum=2&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1440&bih=818&wrapid=tlif130859393641910&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=849458873527555217&sa=X&ei=G4__TZ6nLsGKhQfa3P2eCw&ved=0CHwQ8wIwAA#

like that ?
Posted By: AX_125 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:16pm
Yes, but the plug end needs to be iec
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:18pm
you have the bits or not?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:32pm
<penny drops>

Sorry it was you saying they must have UK 3 prong plugs on them, you mean sockets on the other end (to plug the routers into).

Standard cheapo 4 sockets with a long lead and an IEC male on once end is all you need, personally I would speand an extra couple of quid and get a 4 way with surge protection as well (a Belkin will cost you about a tenner) and then either replace the lead with a longer one and fit the IEC to it or get an IEC lead with a male end on it (usually an extension lead), cut the female end off and wire a trailing socket to it, plug the Belkin into that and keep the £25,000 (or whatever it is) warranty protection they offer on anything damaged by surges when using their adapters.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Custom Surge Protector - 20th Jun 2011 6:57pm
You mean a standard 4way 13 amp mains socket on one end and an iec plug that will fit into the ups on the other end of a 30m cable, if you have the bits then not a problem, I can do it for you, if your around by Fort Perch Rock Tuesday or Friday after 11am , just ask for me at the gate I am in the radio room in the east tower, the one with the mass of antennas and radar on the top.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral