Forums
Posted By: Mark Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 8:14pm
Its Probably best to list all brands under one Topic. So from iphone to Android share your favorite apps and why.

you may have guessed ive got a mobile phone with apps

F1.com2011 - Android
its a great little app for live track times as the race is on. with previous results and so much more its great.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 8:38pm
iPhone:

eBay
Bambuser (broadcast live video from your phone)
TvCatchup (watch live tv on your phone)
Ihotukdeals (Hot Uk Deals App) ice spent a lot of money with this lol.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 8:45pm
all angry birds
topcashback
skyfire browser
BBC I player
nyan cat game lol
PayPal
tune in radio
x1fm.com radio app
eBay
Google maps
YouTube
Facebook
flickr
android Sony experia play
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 9:12pm
Got a poo LG Cookie atm. My absolute fave app is Google Maps smile
I use it to plan routes, for 'excursions', estimate walking distance times-getting from A to B and also locating 'unknown streets' when i pick up Freecycle Bounty grin
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 9:21pm
My son gave me an iPhone. 8 Gig and says "firmware 04.26.08" under the About feature.

I have no real idea how to use it. It does not contain a SIM card. Took me 2 hours to find how/ where to locate a SIM card!!
I threw a standard PAYG SIM card in it - does nowt

No instructions, no cables

Anyone run iPhone driving lessons?

Snod
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 9:51pm
Snodvan

The iPhone will "accept" any simcard, however you can only actually use it to make calls with the one it is locked to (if it is locked), you'll also need the simcard it accepts to "activate" it if it's been reset. To do this you need to put the sim card in then connect it to an internet connected machine with iTunes on it.

4.26.08 is quite old firmware, it wont make much difference to learning how to use the phone, but does give you a chance to see how to update it on iTunes (which you will need to download to reset/update/sync your iPhone)

Your lad will know which network he was on, but if you do put a sim card into it make sure you tell the network it's being used in an iPhone or get a web n walk type package otherwise it'll use all your credit by going online all the time.

If you REALLY can't find the network, and it doesn't show on the network list then if you're passing just call in and I'll try the possibilities.

If you go onto the Apple website there are HUGE areas dedicated to how to use the iPhone, or if you're still stuck just drop me a pm telling me what you're stuck on (don't say "everything smile )
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 10:07pm
'twas the young lady in your place who this week sold me the cable so that I can at least charge the battery. The thing has not been used for a year or two I guess so I am putting the battery through some charge/ discharge cycles at the moment. That usually helps. Once that is done I will pay another visit to the shop.

I will guess the original SIM was an AT&T type because my son is based in the USA and his regular phone is AT&T

Jnr (as I call him much to his disgust - he is near 25) also gave me an even older 16 gig Iphone. That has not responded at all to trying to charge it up. I seem to remember he said it had "died" and he took it back to the Apple store in Liverpool. He did not have kind words to say about their "stuffed up attitude". Surprising then that he has just bought himself an Apple laptop in the USA. Nice machines but .... I told him that he is 'on his own' with one of those. It has already been back to Apple once because the claimed 7-hour battery was only lasting 2 hours. They fitted a new one.

For me the plus side of him buying an Apple is that he gave me his Packard Bell Easynote. Not a bad machine. You put a new cd/dvd drive in it around a year ago.

Cheers Snod
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 1st Jun 2011 11:39pm
Ahh right, AT&T, okay two things, first of all DO NOT UPDATE THE FIRMWARE !!! (subtle enough smile ) As the phone is from the US it can't be unlocked here, so easiest thing to do is stay with an old firmware and learn all you can about JailBreaking the phone. This isn't as complicated as it sounds, or as difficult as some make it out to be. You will invalidate your warranty with this (which has expired anyway) and Apple wont fix anything that's been JailBroken, but, as they'll only replace it with one that is locked to AT&T anyway, who cares.

Once it's done you'll be able to use various sites to download the apps for free, I wont go into which ones to use but they're easy to find.

The reason not to update the firmware by the way is because when you do it updates the baseband on the phone, which then has to be cracked by the team who provide the "easy to use" software to JailBreak the phone. This already exists for older versions, if you use iTunes to update the phones firmware a solution may not be available so you won't be able to use it for some time.

Some (most) solutions, as well as allowing you to use other apps on your phone also unlock it so you can use other networks, so this might resolve two problems for you.

I've always found Apple to be really helpful, maybe it's because I can speak geek laugh
Posted By: Mark Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 6:33am
just remembered i can take screen shots.

i am finding oprea mini the best browser up to now. it seems to be more friendly with wiki.

Attached picture SC20110602-072655.jpeg
Attached picture SC20110602-072704.jpeg
Attached picture SC20110602-072714.jpeg
Attached picture SC20110602-072722.jpeg
Attached picture SC20110602-072732.jpeg
Attached picture SC20110602-072740.jpeg
Attached picture SC20110602-072748.jpeg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 8:45am
Originally Posted by Mark

i am finding oprea mini the best browser up to now. it seems to be more friendly with wiki.

Yeah, Opera Mini is amazing, has been the best mobile browser for many years. I remember before the Windows Mobile version was released, I used to run a 3rd party java loader just to use Opera Mini, because it is so much better, faster and lighter than both Opera Mobile and Internet Explorer Mobile (though in its defence, IEM does act like a desktop browser, and thus displays just about anything you throw at it).

Other vital apps for me include PuTTy, RDP, a lot of the SBP software including mobile shell and wireless monitor, Garmin sat-nav etc... And OCT on my particular phone, to increase the CPU speed from 524Mhz to 760Mhz (actually results in better power management = better battery life).

However the best thing I did to my phone in recent months, was drop back from 6.5.5 BETA all the way to 6.1 (an official ROM as well omg). Considering it was the launch ROM (before HTC made all TouchPro2's Windows Mobile 6.5), it is solid as a rock (unlike their official 6.5 ROM which increasingly suffers from SOD syndrome over time), and the battery life is just epic.

When I was running the HTC 6.5 ROM that shipped with the phone, I was struggling for over a day, which was very surprising as my HTC Universal was getting better than that on a fooked battery! When I changed to 6.5.5 BETA (unofficial ROM, cooked by an XDA-Developers team) I was getting around 1.5 - 2 days battery life. But since dropping back to 6.1, im getting well over 2 days with normal usage, and upto 2 days with heavy usage. I've just hit the 72 hour mark, though it has been (annoyingly) bleeping every few minutes to tell me to charge it quick! It seems to be doing better in 3G mode than 2G mode on the newROM, whereas it was the other way round on the 6.5 ROM's. And that is with 5 POP email accounts checking and downloading the full messages (can't be doing with headers lol) every 3 minutes.

Amazing!! Who says battery life on smartphones has to be crap? Now when I was running Android on it (admittadly Froyo - Gingerbread is supposedly better), it used to die in under 18 hours, probably around 12 hours - and that was without the email syncing all the time!

Yep, battery life is important to me, it may be sad lol, but the last thing I need is my phone conking out when im SSH'ing etc... Also, I like not having to worry about charging my phone; the missus's Palm Pre is just hilarious, one hell of a phone granted, but thank god for the wireless charger, as it has to be on charge 50% of the day haha!

laugh

And since were doing screenies heh... I have cleartype turned off to ensure high performance (I only have a lil ARM CPU running at a lowly 760Mhz so every little helps, not like you guys with dual-core CPU's and Snapdragons lol), hence the alias around the fonts - dont notice it on the phone screen lol.

Description: 3 days!
Attached picture sshot001.png

Description: Maybe last for a few more hours?
Attached picture sshot003.png
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 2:00pm
Still can't understand why they never ported Opera to Win CE, it should have been quite easy - especially if it was Opera-Mini
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 2:31pm

how do u get the screenshots
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 2:32pm
Have you tried installing the cab for Opera Mini for Windows Mobile? What error did you get?

Im wondering, is there any Java loaders that are native to, or even compatible with CE? Sure there must be some out there, given the amount for WinMo! If so, I used to run Opera Mini on WinMo using a java loader before Opera eventually released 5 for WinMo.

I use JBlend as my loader of choice atm but used to Esmertec Jbed in years gone by.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 2:34pm
Originally Posted by beer_money

By using an app tease
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 3:31pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Originally Posted by beer_money

By using an app tease

Unless you're on an iPhone in which case just press the home button and the lock button at the same time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mobile Apps (mobile phones) - 2nd Jun 2011 3:52pm
iPhone screenshots...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]