Forums
Posted By: Anonymous windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:36pm
I have just had to buy new harddrive as old one died, but my windows xp pro version 2002 disc is cracked, does any one have one they could copy for me please, i have my own code
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:39pm
If you have a CD writer, I am more than happy to upload an image of XP Pro for you to download and burn.

smile
Posted By: ex0__ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:40pm
Can download it here and run it from a usb (or a disk if you don't want to bother making a usb bootable):

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Microso...a99edf5b5455b953393bab3ab51303ad99a2e67b

Now seems like a perfect time to upgrade to Win7 though..
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:41pm
i do on my pc, but thats un-usable at the moment, and this laptop am using is rubbish, if you could do me one on disc i can come and collect and pay you for it, thanks but it need to be version 2002
Posted By: ex0__ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:45pm
..You want an unpatched version of XP 2002?

Tell me, the hard drive you binned wasn't full of viruses and barely working was it?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:47pm
i dont know, my pc just locked up, i reset it, and it just will not boot up, i get the bios them, ntdl is missing
Posted By: MattLFC Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:47pm
Originally Posted by ex0__

Assuming his XP pc can handle it wink

Id go with that though, download it using a torrent, and use your own key. Just make sure you have a decent anti-virus running, and do a scan of the download before using it.

Though I must also admit, im fond of NT5 (2000 and XP), and gradually grew to like Vista, but 7, whilst my experience with it was initially fantastic, im somewhat dubious about its longer-term reliability - it seems to have awful problems with memory leakage (which never seem to affect my XP or Vista systems), which is surprising as Microsoft have been working to address this for many years.

Basically, im still undecided on 7, though for the majority of the time it behaves, and boot up (from cold) times are excellent on the odd occasion I have to restart (otherwise all my systems only get hibernated for months at a time so boot times are irrelevant, though hibernte times are far far faster in 7 than in Vista lol).
Posted By: ex0__ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:50pm
Originally Posted by willo
i dont know, my pc just locked up, i reset it, and it just will not boot up, i get the bios them, ntdl is missing

That's a problem with your operating system, the drive probably isn't dead at all. If you've still got it use it as a slave drive.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 1:53pm
i have still got it, i plan on trying to put it in as a slave, i just hope it works so i can get my files back off it, i am downloading that torrent now, thanks for that
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 2:51pm
Hi mate, i have a copy of xp you can have it is a fully licensed version, no key required, no patches cracks or anything, it is a mass license edition. you can have a copy if you like i live in wallasey village, let me know and i will burn you a copy tonight. NTLDR missing... do you have a usb stick in the pc or a floppy? how many hard drives do you have installed? remove all things like that and just leave the drive with your OS in the pc.

fresh install is always the best option to give you that "like new" feeling. but if you really want to save your disk try the following.

1.Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2.When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3.Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4.Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
7.Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 3:51pm
THANK YOU, i have sent you a pm
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 4:00pm
Originally Posted by ex0__
Can download it here and run it from a usb (or a disk if you don't want to bother making a usb bootable):

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Microso...a99edf5b5455b953393bab3ab51303ad99a2e67b

whata dodgy copy this is, asks for no key code, carnt update it, loads of files missing
Posted By: ex0__ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 4:14pm
Originally Posted by willo
whata dodgy copy this is, asks for no key code, carnt update it, loads of files missing

Don't update windows. Should always have windows updates turned off as standard.

I'm pretty sure that's the version I chuck on machines I fix when people insist on using XP. Has been a loooong time since I last installed XP so apologies if I've linked a bad copy.

The serial is more of a morality choice imo, you aren't penalised whether you pay for windows or download a cracked copy.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 4:21pm
popcorn
Posted By: TheDr Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 26th May 2011 6:10pm
If all you want is a copy of XP Pro just call in to "you know where" and you can pick one up for free.

The "mass licence edition" isn't what you need for your key as it won't work with it properly, you'll still be able to load XP and run it but it won't be an officially licenced version. For the home user that probably wont matter too much but for a business user it could mean confiscation of the machine by trading standards.

If you only have the NTDL file missing I can send you a small prog to repair that error which should get your machine back up and running again if that helps, you can then either copy all your files you want to keep or just use it as is.

If you intend to use the drive as a slave with a fresh instal on a new drive the only problem you might come across if the username/files were password protected on the original drive, if so you just need to make sure that you have Admin rights and aren't using a Guest account on the fresh instal and that should be okay.

Anything else just pm me and I'll try to help.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 7:38am
the drive says healthy, in disc management, but will not let me access it
Posted By: ex0__ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 8:30am
'Cause it doesn't have a file system.

Are you trying to get stuff off of it? Or just format it to use as slave?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 8:32am
am trying to get my files off it
Posted By: ex0__ Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 8:42am
Interesting that it shows a drive letter (without a file system) but it also shows that there's nothing on it. Free space 298gb/298gb.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 8:44am
there is stuff on it, i dont know why it shows nothing, i have been using it for 3 years, and it died, i put new drive in and the other as a slave, and it shows as empty weird yesterday it showed as drive I now today it shows as drive E
Posted By: TheDr Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 11:19am
I've just had your pm, but now I've seen you screen shot I think I know what's happened.

The mass licence versions are set up for quick installations with minimum user input, for your situation it wasn't the correct disc to use as it's deleted both drives before installing the operating system.

Don't worry your files should still be recoverable just make sure you don't save anything to the slave drive.

If you can drop it down to my place I'll sort it tonight for you, if you can't get down I can possibly get it collected tomorrow if that's any help (recovering the files might take a few hours)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 11:36am
would this be the same place i bought the tom tom from? thanks for your help i appreciate it
Posted By: TheDr Re: windows xp pro version 2002 - 27th May 2011 11:44am
If you've ever picked up anything from me on here that's where I tend to leave it as I never know where I'm going to be from one minute to the next smile

If you take it in there make sure you tell them who you are and I'll get it done for you laugh

No worries, most of the work is just pressing a few buttons then leaving it for hours.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral