Forums
Posted By: Anonymous Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 2:12pm
An oddball question maybe..... You can get warning of the approach of a lightning storm by off-tuning your radio. I need as much warning as possible in order to undo guy wires and lower a large telescopic mast. A friend said off-tune on LW rather than MW or VHF. Does it make that much of a difference ?

Anyone any ideas ??

I live in a very exposed and elevated position ! The mast itself is earthed by a HEAVY copper cable going to a deep earth rod. The mast is OK in the event of a blat, but the electrogubbins at the masthead run by cable into the house. I want to get the mast down ASAP just in case.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 5:12pm
This site might be of use to you. CLICKY

Seems quite accurate,based down south and just about covers as far north as you need.. happy
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 5:31pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/332115/UK_Live_Lightning.html#Post332115
Posted By: MerseyMan Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 5:35pm
I was high up in a scissor lift today in Morrisons new Brighton, got down off that quick enough when the lighting started smirk
Posted By: sristeve Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 6:42pm
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
I was high up in a scissor lift today in Morrisons new Brighton, got down off that quick enough when the lighting started smirk

snap i was in one in warrington when it started not the best place to be lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 8:07pm
Many thanks for your help folks. Appreciated.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 10:40pm

I think that's where I found it in the first place smile
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 10:49pm
Not working for me frown
Posted By: Wench Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 9th May 2011 11:02pm
Originally Posted by MerseyMan

Do you have to wear one of those rock climbing harnesses in a scissor lift? Sorry star, I'm in one of those moods raftl
Posted By: Tatey Re: Lightning Detection/Warning. - 10th May 2011 5:35am
I was shopping in Liverpool when it started so I ran into the nearest pub for a pint & hung on tightly to the brass hand rail. Then I felt safe!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral