Forums
Posted By: Wheels Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 10:18am
Hi guys, I finnished building a PC for the bedroom so the missis can watch things Like BBC Iplayer on the TV but there's no PC (VGA) input. So I bought a VGA to component (the 3 coloured leads Red/Green/Blue) but I'm not getting a picture?

Any ideas?.
Posted By: nicky Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 11:24am
I had a similar problem with my PS2. I could only get it to work with the cable that had red yellow and white on. I had a scart attachment that they went in the back of and it worked fine then.
Posted By: little_pob Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 11:39am
What TV have you got and what connections on the graphics adapter?

VGA (RGB) and component (YPbPr/YCbCr) are different colour spaces and are not compatible.

If your TV has an RGB SCART socket then, depending on the source, you might get away with one of these with the adapter you've already bought: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SCART-PLUG-..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302176343&sr=8-1 - at £9.50 posted it's not cheap, but the ones from the 1st page of results on ebay all appeared to be mislabeled composite or component adapters.
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 12:31pm
I think I may have one of then somewhere, I'll try that first. Tar smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 12:43pm
have a look pc to tv leads
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 1:14pm
That reminds me Mr Wheels, I will look for that VGA-SCART cable this afternoon!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 1:43pm
Right, found it in my office Wheels, drop me a PM or facebook message and you can collect it whenever mate smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 2:07pm
I know I have a few assorted but not sure were, I think I dug one out last time you wanted one matty but then you didn't need it. I'll have a quick look at home when I Finnish work then let you know. Thanks to everyone else who PM'd me with one too.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 3:09pm
No worries mate smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 5:54pm
[Linked Image]

Grrrr still no picture frown it did flash up momentarily but it won't stay on?.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 6:51pm
You can't use the two sound connectors on the scart to put video in.

R G & B are all colour video signals with VGA standard, none of the three colours has the Horizontal or vertical sync signals - these are separate on the VGA connector.

What are you using to change VGA to phono connectors? This "may" superimpose the sync signals onto one of the colours.

I'll try to have a look later on when I've got some time, I might have something that could help in my stock of "essential bits"
Posted By: little_pob Re: Help: no picture? - 7th Apr 2011 8:29pm
I had a feeling you might have an issue. As diggingdeeper points out; there is no sync. You need a VGA to RGsB lead (Gs indicates the sync is on the green signal), plus you need a SCART block that is wired for RGB - any old SCART block won't work.

If you fancy doing it yourself, the circuit to do so is here: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/sync_r.html (usual at own risk disclaimer wink ).

Alternately, Avermedia's KeyLite (aka AVerKey Lite) will do resolutions "upto 1024x768". There is a used one on ebay for £20+p&p, or Maplin.co.uk have them new for £50 (stock code A30AU).
Posted By: Wheels Re: Help: no picture? - 8th Apr 2011 7:36pm
frown I'm confused
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Help: no picture? - 8th Apr 2011 8:39pm
Why don't you put pics up of your tv and pc and their connections on both
this may help for further connection solutions
© Wirral-Wikiwirral