Forums
Posted By: Maisie Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 6:58am
Hiya Guys, The screen has died on my hubby's mobile phone, although the phone still works, the screen is totally blank. He has had the phone for a little over 2 years, but because he found it easy to use decided he'd carry on using it, rather than the usual upgrade.
Basically what's a fairly decent mobile phone, for someone who's not technically minded? confused
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 7:56am
What does he need to do with it?

Will he now be upgrading his current mobile or buying outright?

My Mum is in no way technically minded, just sends the odd text and makes/receives calls, she has the Nokia 6700 Classic

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-6700-classic

Cheap and cheerful but good at what it does.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 10:05am
Thanks Alex

That's exactly what he does with his, odd texts and phone calls...and occasionally the odd the photo. I think he can still upgrade, but most of the phones are a bit too technical for him...hahaa He's only recently learnt how to text people.

Will have a look at that one for him.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 10:14am
I'm sure if he goes into the shop for an upgrade he would be able to get one. They may try and coax him into having a higher spec phone but he just needs to stick to his guns
Posted By: Maisie Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 1:51pm
Originally Posted by Softy_Southerner
I'm sure if he goes into the shop for an upgrade he would be able to get one. They may try and coax him into having a higher spec phone but he just needs to stick to his guns

Yeah Softy, that's what I thought...he's not like me though...will get lead into getting something he wont't have a clue how to use....hahaa
I could probably pretend it's my phone and do it that was I suppose!
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 3:16pm
Couple of choices, if he likes the phone he has why not get it repaired.
Just because you're due an upgrade doesn't mean you have to have one. I have a lot of phones on contract, sometimes we take the best phone we can get, then sell it (and yes we do keep paying the contract, just use the sim in an older phone). The money can sometimes almost clear your payments. Other times we just keep the phone we have and get them to reduce the bill, this can go down A LOT, I know one account we have with T-Mobile is less than a fiver a month for a contract (including free minutes and free calls to other T-Mobile phones), just see what is best for you.
Posted By: zippy49 Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 7:33pm
There is aplace in birkenhead market that may be able to fix.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 8:58pm
Originally Posted by son51
There is aplace in birkenhead market that may be able to fix.

withthat

They fixed my HTC Uni for me, did a smashing job, took it in, left it with them for a few hours and only cost £20 iirc.

Needed the mini-USB connector replacing (which on HTC's is also the power/charging connector), and having taken the phone to bits at a later point when I smashed the screen, im surprised they did it for such a low cost.

http://www.starlightmobiles.com/
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 27th Mar 2011 10:06pm
Starlight is in liscard to, by Jay,jays cafe. Think that's the name of the cafe..
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 28th Mar 2011 1:41am
If you want to send me the make/model of the phone I'll give you a price on the repair, we do screens all day long, even iPhones which so many turn away.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 28th Mar 2011 4:44am
Thanks everyone, seems it's the ribbon that connects the screen. It a Nokia 6500 slide, and this is exactly what happened with my samsung. Because it was on contract I was able to send it back to o2 and they replaced the handset. I was warned then that the ribbons "go" on the slide phones.
He has decided he's going to take it in to the o2 shop and see if he can get an upgrade. When you answer it to speak to someone, you have to switch it to speakerphone too...So I really don't think it's worth getting it fixed.

Thansk to everyone who responded!!!
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 28th Mar 2011 5:49am
Still worth fixing as a spare.
If the slide mech has gone (not an expensive fix) this can cause the earpiece to fail, or it might just be metal fillings attracted by the magnet in it. Couple of quid extra on top of a ribbon or slide job as you have the phone apart anyway.
Posted By: woodley Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 28th Mar 2011 6:49am
I am same as Alex's mum. Definitely not technically minded and needed to change my 'dinosaur'. My sis-in-law is the same, she has a Nokia 2323 classic and I now have a Nokia 2220 slide. Both of us can handle these with no trouble. They are the simplest most basic phone you can get in Australia and I assume they are available in UK.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 31st Mar 2011 5:40am
UPDATE: after much moaning about his phone being knackered...haha!! He went to the o2 shop and got an upgrade. He ended up with a Nokia C7....hahaa and he hasn't got a clue how to work it...serves him right for not listening to me!!
laffin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 31st Mar 2011 8:56am
Symbian? Massive error! haha.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 18th May 2011 9:54pm
Posted By: Nigel Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 18th May 2011 9:59pm
This is getting fairly close to advertising lads!!
Posted By: TheDr Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 18th May 2011 10:21pm
If you send me a pm I'll be able to reply to this smile
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 19th May 2011 5:40pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
This is getting fairly close to advertising lads!!

so asking for a price is advertising what ?????
not being funny but kind of think thats a question !!!!
as for the mention of another firm would suggest that it depends who you are as to if your post stays or goes
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 19th May 2011 5:58pm
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Mobile Phone Advice - 19th May 2011 6:42pm
glad i wasnt the only one to notice all though i never mentioned a single company name !!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral