Forums
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 10:36pm
Can anyone please shed any light on this?

When I turn my laptop on it loads up as much as telly tubby land (windows xp home edition)Then I get a prompt that says "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006).Click ok to terminate the application)I have tried everything even tried to use the last settings that worked and there are no restore points to go back too.
It will not go onto the internet as it says "the requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context"

I have literally tried everything so any help would be great thanks.

I hate using a netbook as my fingers are too fat for the keys.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 10:40pm
Firstly, does it not give you any indication what application is failing, in the title of the dialogue box? Or is it blue-screening?

The problem could be a corrupted startup file. Go to run, then msconfig, and then startup. De-select all the startup items. The go to the services tab, and select "hide all ms services" and de-select all of them. Then restart, and see if you get the prompt when restarting. (remember to note down all services/startup apps you turn off, so you can turn them on again). If the prompt disappears, you can go through them one by one, turning them back on.

If it does not fix it, it could be some sort of malware mate, have you got a good antivirus? Boot into safe-mode (not safe-mode with networking) and run your antivirus, if you can get Spybot, Malwarebytes, Hijackthis and Hitman Pro, run them as well, in safe-mode.

The IE issue could also be malware, or just IE arsing about, try re-installing IE using the add/removes windows components option in control panel. Or try upgrading it, sounds like your possibly running IE7, if so, jump to 8.

See how that goes.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 10:56pm
I feel like an idiot now mate...I had spyware doctor upto about an hour ago and removed it because I thought that was the problem as the failed to initialize messege would pop everytime I tried to open spyware doc.
Another thing is internet explorer says no add-ons next to it and I've never seen that before bud
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 11:03pm
What do you mean about the spyware doctor?

IE with no add-ons is just an alternative version of IE, which loads with no loaders and 3rd party apps and containers, such as flash player, java etc...

It's similar to a sort of safe-mode for IE. There should be a normal version (that loads with the add-ons) somewhere - check the start menu.

Id jump forward and re-install or upgrade IE at this point.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 11:26pm
I had spyware doctor on it but uninstalled it as I thought that was the problem.

I done what you said regarding disable everything and I have got further than I have all day mate,no prompt but what do I select on the system config utility please mate? normal startup,diagnostic startup or selective startup? soz to be a pain mate.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 11:31pm
Can you post what services are running? We may notice something that should not be running.

Otherwise its a case of a lot of rebooting; keep restarting the system, each time, turning the next service on, and then when you see the message again, its that service/program thats causing the issue.

It could actually be conflicting too, so the list of services could help track that down, but to see if it is a conflict with another 3rd party service/program, you can disable all but the service that is causing the issue, and then restart to see if it runs okay without the other services on - if it doesnt then its not a conflict, if it does, then it could be conflicting with some software.

But first, you need to find out which service is causing the error, so get restarting, sorry lol!
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 17th Feb 2011 11:58pm
sorry for the delay Matt the systems I have turned off are:

jusched
Googletoolbarnotifier
ctfmon
browserchoice
Belkin F5D8053 N

Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:02am
At a first glance, id say the wireless driver is the most likely culprit, but turn them on one by one, restarting each time, to find out which one is causing the trouble as it could be any. Actually, it could be browser choice thinking about it, as iirc, that loads up on windows start as part of the MS EU regulations as part of a windows update, so if it was to get corrupted, it could have issues loading, in fact thinking about it further, it could actually use IE to run? I can't remember as I just click okay and delete whenever ive seen it lol.

Good news is, there is nothing out of the ordinary there; thats not to say the problem isnt still being caused by malware, but find out which service is causing the problem first.

smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:30am
I remember nightmares with a corrupted CTFMON, microsoft's wisdom insists that it re-enables itself. You have to delete certain things in certain order to get rid.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:31am
Isnt CTFMON just the language tools for office? You can disable that in the locality settings iirc? In any case, would be safe to leave it switched off?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:35am
Right, im off as ive got to be up in a few hours lol. Ill leave ye in the safe hands of DD et al, hope ye gets it sorted Chris!

smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:35am
Yes, but if you can't boot far enough to switch it off, you end up losing hair. Its a bloomin' persistent thing.

There are loads of other processes that check if its running and if its not, any of those processes can kick it into action.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:46am
here we go mate I ran them all singular twice:

dumprep o-u - ok
ctfmon - ok
browser choice - disappeard as an option
Belkin - encountered a problem 1st time but ok the 2nd
Google notifier froze/crashed the computer
jusched - was the one were it said "application failed to initialize (0xc0000006)

So is that the culprit do you reckon mate or a combo of them?
I I haven't got windows office mate.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:48am
ok mate and thanks for your help bud
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:55am
jusched is the Java update checker, not renowned for causing problems. You'll be pleased to know that you don't need it, you can do manual updates from Control-Panel, Java. You can also switch off java automatic updates from that location.

Try and get the machine up and running, remove Java then re-install.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 12:57am
Can you get to your registry? If you can get to your start button and type in the search box 'regedit' then scroll to 'Local Machine, software, microsoft, windows, current version, run' and remove anything that isn't critical (which is practically everything) it may help!

Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 1:05am
good Evening DD thanks mate,it is up and running mate thanks to Matts advice (previously I could not even get into start menu)It just won't go on the net now but for a min there it connected to the router and then kicked me off again bud
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 1:16am
Matt's good, much better memory than me which helps.

Do you know your WPA or WPA2 key for wireless access and your wireless network name?

Generally I have found with wireless it is better to use Windows WZC (Wireless Zero Configuration) rather than the manufacturers wireless handler. If you are using the Belkin handler then it should have the option to switch to wzc.

To set up the WPA key in WZC, you go to start-settings-network then right click on your wireless thing to get properties and there should be a wireless tab at the top.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 1:30am
Should mention there is a little bug in the WZC setup. If you select WPA2-PSK the key box doesn't let you type anything in. You have to select one of the other PSK (private security key?) settings first then when you go back to wpa2-psk it behaves itself.

This bug has been there at least 2 years but microsoft never fixed it.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 2:25am
Cheers CrocDundee,but I'm not that confident mate to know what I was deleting and would probably make the whole thing worse bud.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 2:31am
I think there is now just an internet connection problem now as everything else seems ok now thanks guys. (except for the net) it briefly connects to the router but then goes off again.
It doesn't seem to sustain a connection.I have used it on the same wireless router before with no problems, but now it won't connect to the net on wired either.I can't re-install my isp disc as my hard drive is nakard.

My head is numb matey's lol
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 18th Feb 2011 11:04am
Originally Posted by ChrisNewcastle
I think there is now just an internet connection problem now as everything else seems ok now thanks guys. (except for the net) it briefly connects to the router but then goes off again.
It doesn't seem to sustain a connection.I have used it on the same wireless router before with no problems, but now it won't connect to the net on wired either.I can't re-install my isp disc as my hard drive is nakard.

My head is numb matey's lol
Strange it won't work on wired - I was guessing its an authentication wireless problem which usually does the connect then disconnect thing.

I'm vaguely recalling a version of Internet Explorer that did something like that.

I can't think of anything that would bomb a wired connection ... perhaps its a DNS problem, it connects to obtain a Dynamic DNS, if this fails then it would be connectionless. Can you make sure the router and the PC are both set for DHCP-on/obtain-ip-address-automatically.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 12:19am
Thanks DD,I think I'm going to have to buy another hard drive as now it says my IPP address is invalid mate (don't know how like as my netbook and pc run off the same router)

Cheers bud.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 12:28am
no no no. IP adress is what the DHCP server provides your computer to identify it. There is one IP from your ISP provider which your router uses on the internet. There is another IP provided by your router to your PC on your local network (usually something like 192.168.x.x)

If you open a dos cmd window (start-run .... type in "cmd")

then do ipconfig ....

it will provide you with ip adresses picked up for your PC, there may be two entries or more, one for your wired adaptor(ethernet) and one for your wireless.

Something like this for each one ...

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.27
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::208:2ff:fee2:b89e%4
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Just tell me what the IP address and gateway is.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 12:45am
I should have said, if its comming up with IP address problem then your laptop is asking for an IP address from the router, the routers DHCP should provide it with one. If it doesn't get an address to use then it won't make a connection.

Possible reasons ....

Incorrect gateway specified on laptop, this should be the ip address of the router something like 192.168.2.1 usually for Belkin I think.

Router has not got DHCP switched on.

Router has IP filters set wrong (unlikely)

Subnet mask on laptop and router should be set to 255.255.255.0

Laptop not got automatic IP address switched on.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 1:21am
If this is any good mate (from the netbook as tried laptop to no avail)This is what came up:

I.S.P Virgin Media
CONNECTION Broadband
PROXY none detected
I.P 77.103.61.71

I tried what you said on thee laptop mate but no details came up.I s my ip for the netbook the same as the pc and laptop? they are on the samme router?
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 1:28am
I can't get the belkin programme running to get an ip address open for that bud.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 1:47am
You ain't getting an IP ...

Each connection has a separate IP address, that is how the router knows which one to speak to.

On lappy - go to start-settings-network, right click the wired network connection, go to properties.

You should have a list of things it uses, usually at the bottom of the list you have "internet protocol (TCP/IP)". make sure it is ticked (if not tick it and hit the apply button). Select that line and hit the properties button.

You should have the "Obtain IP automatically" button highlighted and also "obtain DNS server address automatically"

"OK" that

"Close" the previous box

Things should start to happen
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 2:04am
Sorry about this DD,but computers arent my best subject mate.I don't have any settings options from the start menu bud,although the lappy has now actually locked onto the router,it is using BTopenzone instead of Virgin.

I'm sorry for being an IT throw back mate...Give up if ya want haha
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 2:11am
Its locked onto someone elses wireless router.

try and get a wired connection going first - not wireless, they are a slightly bigger nest of problems.

Do you know how to get to "Control Panel" ....

If so then select "Network Connections" from control panel, its another way into the same thing as start-settings-network above.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 3:03am
Here we go mate,I think this is the info you asked for ages ago:

ADDRESS TYPE ASSIGNED BY DHCP

IP 1O.135.183.251

GATEWAY 10.135.183.259

SUBMASK 2555.2555.2555.248
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 19th Feb 2011 11:39pm
Its going to be much easier to talk you through this. If you PM me your landline number, I have free calls to landlines.
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 25th Feb 2011 6:16am
Would love to comment but people will think im a stuck up kid with two properties on either side of the country...(not true) just as skint as the next bloke peeps!!
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 25th Feb 2011 7:39am
DD is mint I have yet to find a better pal on here!!
Posted By: Nigel Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 25th Feb 2011 11:26pm
Originally Posted by ChrisNewcastle
DD is mint I have yet to find a better pal on here!!

Hi Chaps, did you manage to sort this between yourselfs?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Laptop will not start up properly - 25th Feb 2011 11:34pm
Got the internet going after a few head scratchings, but his internet explorer is g**sed. I'm trying to find a way to convince his netbook to download another browser onto a memory stick to install it on the laptop. Unfortunately the netbook doesn't let you specify where it saves files and there isn't enough space on the internal memory.

One headache after another, needless to say, fixing over the phone isn't the easiest of things to do. Had a few laughs at spellings/pronounciations etc
© Wirral-Wikiwirral