Forums
Posted By: Maisie Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 1:53pm
Hi everyone, does anyone know if there's someone fairly cheap that can come and have a look at my tv for me? A couple of days ago, we were watching it and it sounded like a match stick being snapped in half...since then the colour has gone sort of blue and yellow at the lower and upper right edges.
Any help would be much appreciated, it's not very old at all!!
Thanks in advance!!!
Maisie
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 2:13pm
Not very old... How old is it? Could you not return it?
Posted By: assassin Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 2:31pm
whats the model number
Posted By: Maisie Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 2:37pm
The model number is sp43h3htx/xeu.

It's was given to us about 12 months ago. And was told they previous owner had for 12 month before that...so I'd say it's approximately 2 years old!!!
Posted By: rocketqueen Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 2:49pm
mais pump[ in model number into google and see if it comes up with a trubleshoot...but knowing u you would of already done that
Posted By: dan0h Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 3:03pm
If its a CRT TV (A traditional dome-back TV) you might well need to have it "degaussed". If you can find a TV repair shop in this day and age they should have a degaussing wand to do the job for a minimal fee.

If it IS a CRT, then really, in fairness (despite the fact I still prefer them!) its probably time to follow the crowd and go LCD.
Posted By: Colgo Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 3:09pm
I had some colour problems with a CRT tv, caused by a loose SCART lead. Could be worth checking all leads are securely pushed in at both ends.
Posted By: Maisie Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 3:45pm
Originally Posted by Colgo
I had some colour problems with a CRT tv, caused by a loose SCART lead. Could be worth checking all leads are securely pushed in at both ends.

I've checked all the leads...I honestly think it's something simple like a fuse blown or something like that...hopefully....it's far too good to get rid of!

Nin, yeah you're right already google it hun!!
Posted By: Maisie Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 3:48pm
Originally Posted by dan0h
If its a CRT TV (A traditional dome-back TV) you might well need to have it "degaussed". If you can find a TV repair shop in this day and age they should have a degaussing wand to do the job for a minimal fee.

If it IS a CRT, then really, in fairness (despite the fact I still prefer them!) its probably time to follow the crowd and go LCD.

Thanks for your thoughts dan0h, I'll google TV repair shops and see what I come up with!!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 4:10pm
Try plugging the scart lead into a differnet socket on the tele. Similar thing happened on my Dad's old tele
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 4:20pm
Sounds plausible Phil - or change the SCART lead incase the leade is dodgy. Only thing thats strange is if its affecting only one corner. It sounds like an LCD if its only 24 months old, but CRT's can still be bought, so it could well need to be degaussed.

Shame, my fathers an electrician by trade, used to run a few TV shops down in Weston Super Mare with my brother... and therein lies the problem, he's not local, otherwise he'd have looked at it for you! Hope you get it sorted!!
Posted By: Maisie Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 4:25pm
a few more details that I should have mentioned before...sorry...it's a rear projection plasma screen...I mean this TV is not small...it's stands approximately 4 foot high...hahaa. So I can't exactly pop it in the boot of the car and take it to get it repaired...hahaa!!!
If I can't get it fixed it would be a shame it's a lovely TV!!

Will change the scart lead...and as it has 3 scart connections I'll try them all!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 4:30pm
Not seen an RP television for years!! There is usually a convergence correction option within the menu system on RP televisions, to help correct colour problems, it would be worth trying that if none of the simple fixes correct it. If it screws it up any further though, probably means the TV is a goner - and don't hold me responsible for it lol.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 4:33pm
Originally Posted by Maisie
a few more details that I should have mentioned before...sorry...it's a rear projection plasma screen...I mean this TV is not small...it's stands approximately 4 foot high...hahaa. So I can't exactly pop it in the boot of the car and take it to get it repaired...hahaa!!!
If I can't get it fixed it would be a shame it's a lovely TV!!

Will change the scart lead...and as it has 3 scart connections I'll try them all!!!

If there is any other sort of connector on the set (S-Video, Composite, YBpBr etc) it could be worth trying one of them if the scart change does not correct the issue, as it could be the SCART circutry failing or module coming loose etc...
Posted By: Maisie Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 4:36pm
ok thanks for your help frown
Posted By: Garygadge Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 5:24pm
You havnt recently moved any speakers near to it recently have you or anything with magnets in?
Happened to a friend of mine few years back, he placed a small cd player with speakers built in on top of his tv, within a few hours the colour went nuts, took the cd player off and within a few mins the colour started to go back to normal.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 5:31pm
Thats because the magnet magnetizes the phosphor plate iirc, and thats essentially what a degaussing rod gets rid of (de-magentizes it) as mentioned above by Dan. All modern CRT's (last 15 years or so) degausse themselves anyway, sometimes they do it when you turn the set on and you hear a thud etc, that is more than likely it degaussing. But most TV sets only do it with a very low charge, so it can take days to return to normal.

Needless to say, only CRT's suffer from the problem. Rear projection, LCD's and Plasma's, do not suffer from it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 6th Jan 2011 7:08pm
The colour wheel could be broken.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 7th Jan 2011 11:12am
Just bang it one the side, we had a similar problem when watching the Coronation and it worked for us.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 7th Jan 2011 3:19pm
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f1/Onslow_kua.jpg lol
Posted By: Maisie Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 7th Jan 2011 4:17pm
Update about this flippin' tv of mine....found someone who would fix it for me....but wil charge £90 before he even looks at it....like I have that kind of cash hanging round right after christmas...but have also spoken to my brother who has put me in touch with someone else...who said it's probably one of the lamps that lights the projections...sounds possible to me!!!

So I would like to thank everyone who responded, all your tips and advice is very much appreciated!!!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 7th Jan 2011 7:02pm
Bit confused, it can't be a rear-projection AND a plasma, its one or the other.

I'm guessing it is rear projection in which case it sounds very much like one of the degausing thermistors has gone.

Using a degaussing wand won't particularly help as the screen will become re-magnetised in a quite short time.

I am not a professional in TV electronics (I am in other electronic fields) but have replaced a fair few degaussing thermistors. Rear screens can be a pig to get into, or certainly the old ones.

PM me if you wish, will have a quick look and advise.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 7th Jan 2011 7:38pm
As you got it for nothing (I think) cut your losses, chuck it and get a new one, once the have gone they are not worth fixing in most circumstances.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 7th Jan 2011 9:15pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Just bang it one the side, we had a similar problem when watching the Coronation and it worked for us.

Or bang it on the side and do a proper job, and claim it on the house insurance!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 8th Jan 2011 8:57am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Bit confused, it can't be a rear-projection AND a plasma, its one or the other

Why can't it be bud, mine is a LCD rear-projection samsung...
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 8th Jan 2011 11:09am
Originally Posted by _jase_

plasma isn't bright enough to use as a projection source.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 8th Jan 2011 11:30am
Originally Posted by _jase_

plasma isn't bright enough to use as a projection source.

And there's only LCD & DLP projectors. Used in tv
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Samsung TV...colour gone mad!! - 8th Jan 2011 1:01pm
Oh right ye learn something new every day... happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral