Forums
Posted By: johncon old compaq - 3rd Jan 2011 5:46pm
Hi I have been given a old compaq presario 1246 notebook to have a play around with but my ethernet jack is too big.
a normal telephone jack fits is there some sort of adaptor or something i need confused confused
Thanks
Posted By: kimpri Re: old compaq - 3rd Jan 2011 5:50pm
john can you bring it to ours,

will sort something out for it.
Posted By: anniebo28 Re: old compaq - 3rd Jan 2011 6:16pm
It is not an Ethernet connection, its a built in modem. Check the spec of the laptop on google.
It has a 33.6 Kbps modem, no ethernet. Thats why a phone connection fits into it, thats what is ment to.
The only way to get faster internet speeds on it would be via a network card or dongle but i will still be very slow due to the speed of the laptop itself
Posted By: TheDr Re: old compaq - 3rd Jan 2011 6:19pm
It sounds as if you have a built in modem (old dial-up) but not an ethernet (broadband) type connection.
There are all sorts of adapters you can get for laptops so you can use them, USB port to Ethernet, PCMCIA (the credit card type slot at the side) to Ethernet, or if it's capable a wireless adapter.
All of these adapters are very cheap, secondhand they are almost given away and even new you should only be looking at around a tenner for any of them.
PM me if you get stuck.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral