Forums
Posted By: johncon freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 6:48pm
H any body recomend someone to check out my freeview digi recorder it was working fine when went to bed last night but showing no signal this morning pluged in a spare digi box i had and all ok.
will do for now but cant record anything
Thanks for any help
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 6:59pm
What is the manufacturer and model number of the box?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:00pm
Btw, I am assuming you have tried a channel re-scan?

smile
Posted By: johncon Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:20pm
Its a thompson not sure of model no does dv3 mean anything?
tried rescaning no joy just says no signal.
as i said the spare box works ok so its not arial ect
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:25pm
It sounds like you may getting confused with the DVB logo, which is just the logo for Digital Video Broadcasting. It looks like DV3.

The model number is usually on the rear, or the underside of the box.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:36pm
does it look like this box? If it is menu-setup-help press green button then red for a full reset. Any recordings will be deleted.

Attached picture top-up-tv-dtr-plus.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:38pm
You don't need to lose all the recordings on the DTI-6300 G1's to perform a software re-installation - and trust me, I know something about it. You can also perform other non-deletion actions on the G1's (and G2's) which may help resolve issues.

wink
Posted By: johncon Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:40pm
there are 2 barcode stickers on the underside does dti6300-16 mean anything. failing that one has a 12 digit no on it the other has a 14 digit no preceded by S/N which i presume will be the serial no
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:43pm
it's a 160GB G1 in that case. I am part of the software development team for these boxes.

Go to set-up, help and then press the blue button to enter the tuning information screen; go through the channels, and see if any are picking up a signal on either tuner.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:54pm
develop a less noisy 1 lol
Posted By: johncon Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:56pm
Thanks for all this it does look like the box in your reply she who must be obeyed is watching corry ect at the moment on the spare box so i will either try later or tomorrow once again thankyou for your help i will let you know how i get on
JOHN
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 7:57pm
We are solely responsible for the software, the hardware is (well, was, the 6300 along with the 6021 is now discontinued) developed by Technicolor im afraid. Though having said that, on the G2 and Vestel boxes, we have managed to lower the fan noise/speed for LPMA, but the hardware within the G1's does not allow this im afraid.

smile
Posted By: johncon Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 8:10pm
once again many thanks for your help i will try your sugestions and let you know what happens.
i am thinking that if it does not work it wont be worth trying to have it repaired and just buy a new one !
Posted By: Nigel Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 29th Nov 2010 10:03pm
Whats the best freeview digital recorder to buy? I was thinking of getting one.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 12:41am
humax.
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 1:03pm
Originally Posted by stephen1972
humax.

withthat
I've got 2
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 2:07pm
Originally Posted by johncon
once again many thanks for your help i will try your sugestions and let you know what happens.
i am thinking that if it does not work it wont be worth trying to have it repaired and just buy a new one !

Can get them for around the £30 mark that man, but there is some rare hardware faults that can be relatively easily fixed.

You should be able to swap the hard drive and keep the old recordings, providing the old box was running the latest public release (v5.12) when it died as new boxes dont usually tend to have older code images to roll back to.

If you want me to take a look at the box for you, drop me a PM.

Humax are certainly very good, as are Toppys and and Pannys. Philips and Sagem are okay, but tend to be buggy. In the latest release of our TopUp TV software, there is basically no bugs at all (bar a couple of glitches which in no way affect your usage of the box), but I think all-in-all, we have the closest interface to Sky+, which is certainly a plus-point, plus we have many more features than most other boxes (I say most, because there is a large hacking community for Topfields, who release all sorts of wonderful features). Our G1 boxes date back to 2005, and yet have Freeview+ capabilities along with support for many other new (more recent) features and standards, because unlike other manufacturers, we have a duty to keep the boxes updated and launch new features as and when we can, because of our subscription customers.

smile
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 2:13pm
top up tv is a bit of a rip of 10.99 a month for repeats. New service real digital looks good, wonder what there monthly charge will be?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 2:19pm
Some people may say the same about Sky and Virgin, if it isnt something that appeals to them to be paying £50 per month for 300 channels lol. It is and it isnt - we offer choice, plus a couple of extra channels, that we don't advertise on the website, are thrown in during non-VOD hours. There is also a hell of a lot of programming, that quite simply cannot be seen on Freeview, and thus you need Sky/cable to view it, programming from some of the top subscription broadcasters such as Discovery, Nat Geo, Living, C&I, Nickelodeon etc, so for people that want just a little bit more besides the standard Freeview offering, on-demand, with no contracts, and cheap/free digital TV recorders, the service is perfect.

I wouldnt personally subscribe to it, because there isnt quite enough value in it for me, and I wouldnt use the service enough, but 300,000 people are more than happy to do so, so there is a market for the product, albeit a niche one (consider we lost half our capacity so no longer offer loads of full-time channels like we used to, and we don't have any significant marketing budget like the mighty Sky, Virgin and BT).

To be honest, we are moving further towards the subscription channel market, and then into HD/IPTV with our forthcoming boxes. These things take time, and apart from the £600+ Panasonic BW-780 and BW-880, the other Freeview HD recorders on the market are plauged with problems, thanks for to them leaving everything till the last minute, which meant manufacturers have essentially had to launch bleeding edge products. Expect this to change soon.
Posted By: tvchaos Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 4:25pm
I just bought the Humax HDR Fox T2 and am still finding my way round it, but even at £290 (Richer Sounds in Liverpool) i think it's great. High Definition picture, twin tuner (record 2 shows at once etc) series link, pause live tv, ethernet port to join home network -to play video off your computer; usb ports front and back, also to play video; can transfer SD recordings FROM internal hard drive TO external USB. Blurb says it will play vobs, divx, and mkv files, although i've not tested these latter features out yet. For those who don't know; vobs are files 'ripped' from DVDs; and divx and mkv are compressed versions of video recordings, popular with the internet community. Come to tvchaosuk.com to catch up on uk tv shows you have missed! No stolen latest music or films, just tv shows, and, like in here, a friendly community.
Posted By: johncon Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 30th Nov 2010 6:25pm
all sorted thankyou Matt many thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated
JOHN
Posted By: MattLFC Re: freeview digital recorder repairs - 1st Dec 2010 2:44pm
Glad you got it sorted John smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral