Forums
Posted By: derekdwc radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 10:43am
I didn't know these existed until I bought one for a pound in my friends second hand shop
I thought it was just a battery operated one you would normally get for £3/£4 . I asked him what the radio controlled bit was ,he didn't know either.Did it use a remote control
I looked it up on the Internet and found it actually adjusts itself to the correct time from a signal send out from a mast
in Cumbria ( they have sometimes mistakenly called atomic clocks)
I think I might change all my house clocks to these
Posted By: polo_phil Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 10:55am
We had one of these in work. We had to get rid of it as it kept correcting itself instead of being a 'going home clock' In our defence we always came in early too...
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 11:19am
my watch is radio controlled. Must b a big mast.
Posted By: davew3 Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 11:22am
Most of the clocks in our house are "atomic/radio controlled" apart from the computer/pvr/tv,the only thing you have to bother about is the radio clocks from Aldi and Lidl as they are set to pickup German radio clock transmissions but they usually have a "zone" so you can set that up and only have to change when the time clocks go forward or backward.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 2:06pm
The radio controlled clocks used to be kept to time from a signal from Rugby. I "think" this has now changed to the Bonzo sized tranmitters at Anthorn on the Solway. (correct Derek !)Interesting about the German transmitter. I stand to be corrected.

Anthorn transmitters were (maybe still are) also the VLF transmitters that communicated to/from our subs that work on tinned sunshine a long way from home! (See separate thread about subs. comms./Mersey Monster crud).

Had a radio clock for years - scarily accurate !! Got given a ditto watch last Christmas. Impressive.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 2:14pm
wheres the aerial?

Attached picture 3570762013_cbe1441ede_z.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 2:41pm
Gawd knows ? It'll only have to be a little scrap of wire/metal as it's a belter of a signal.
Posted By: davew3 Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 3:46pm
Pinz, Rugby transmitter was taken down by explosives a few years back,this was some pictures on the interweb thingy,big bang at the base and guide wires,it collapsed onto itself,I thought that they used one of the old RN airfields not far from Preston to chat with the subs,They used to have one not far from Harrogate but that is used for other things laugh.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 3:51pm
Thanks Dave. I haven't seen the Rugby ones bite the dust. There's another one that was chemically worried. Criggion maybe ?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 4:56pm
Info on Anthorn.

http://www.npl.co.uk/science-techno...ducts-and-services/msf-radio-time-signal

Now you know ! Criggion blatted 2003 btw.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 5:40pm
Criggion was beautiful, should have been listed.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: radio controlled clocks - 15th Nov 2010 10:00pm
My watch takes it's signal from a transmitter too. It is the best watch I have ever had, you know it is always right. It adjusts itself for summer and winter and when you go abroad. Everyone should have one!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral