Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 7:35pm
Just had a text saying ive exceeded 90 p.c of my unlimited internet usage. Am not happy. I assume using phone as a modem would not have helped. Anybody explain what an mb actually is? And what eats them up? What will happen if i go over? crazy
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 7:55pm
How can you possibly exceed "unlimited internet usage"?
Or is it really limited, to 100mb?

Anyhow, FYI:
each letter in this posting is 1 byte.
1MB is 1'megabyte' = 1,048,576 bytes.
100MB is therefore 1,04,857,600 bytes.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 7:58pm
100Mb. wot network is that? i get 500mb for free. not wise using fone as modem as web pages use a lot more on pc! if i got 2 a proper web page on fone that is usually 1mb.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 8:10pm
Yer cvcvcv i was being ironic. Unlimited, my ass! Bleeding Tesco stephen. Been with them 3 weeks and i assume the 100mb is per week as i pay two quid a week for a 7 day pass. It was this past week i used phone as a modem and been particularly heavy on usage.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 8:13pm
As long as my remaining 10 p.c lasts til monday when the 'pass' renews.,
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 8:22pm
Be careful, some providers specify in the T&C that using the phone as a modem is against FUP in itself.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 8:25pm
Full User Policy?
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 8:38pm
Im on o2 txt n web 300 txts and 500mb a month and u keep £10 u top up with. 3 do 1gb allowance for £5 pm
Posted By: SilentReader Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 9:07pm
you on O2 Rudebox, I to have unlimited broadband internet on my dell streak and have regular been listening to Scott Mills daily pod casts direct from the internet and also youtube last I want is a warming 2 months in to a 2 year contract
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 9:13pm
TESCO Mobile is the only provider that I can't find what "limit" they impose, despite their "terms and conditions" (ie their contract with you) stating that it will be "clearly" shown on their site.

Phone them and make funny noises asking what the limit is and why it is not clearly shown on their site in accordance with their contract with you.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 9:30pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
TESCO Mobile is the only provider that I can't find what "limit" they impose, despite their "terms and conditions" (ie their contract with you) stating that it will be "clearly" shown on their site.

Phone them and make funny noises asking what the limit is and why it is not clearly shown on their site in accordance with their contract with you.

very odd its not on there web site!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:29pm
I'm with Giffgaff, weird name I know but they were posted on here so I had a look. Half price right now so £5 pm for 100 mins, unlimited texts and internet and unlimited means 'unlimited' literally. When the half price offer runs out at the end of the month then for £5 you get unlimited texts and free internet until the 1st October with 100MB limit per DAY!!!!
They use O2 networks too so reliable. I have had no trouble with them, can't recommend them enough.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:39pm
Was it my post bout giff gaff? do they use o2 internet settings?? opera mini is the best thing to save your mb allowance and its so fast. using it now smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:44pm
Originally Posted by stephen1972
Was it my post bout giff gaff? do they use o2 internet settings?? opera mini is the best thing to save your mb allowance and its so fast. using it now smile

Could have been stephen, if so then thank you.
I use Safari, suits me fine.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:46pm
U got i phone?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:48pm
I do!
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:53pm
Did u need to change settings for giff gaff?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 20th Aug 2010 11:57pm
They sent me a couple of texts and I was away. There is also a file on the website to activate things like the voice mail and the giffgaff logo.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 21st Aug 2010 12:25am
sounds good! tesco mobile sounds bit dodgy to me as they have small amounts on there inclusives on pay monthly and the free handsets are £20-50ish payg. its time the providers do a proper unlimited 3g access as new phones are net orientated these days.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 21st Aug 2010 2:01am
I think what has happened is that you have actually used 50 mb BUT as you duplicate your posts it added to 100 mb!!!
Posted By: Wheels Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 21st Aug 2010 7:42am
ive used over 700mb on my phone since last sat (1 week) :S

Fortunatly I have unlimited on my Iphone, anyone joining after the 24th june this year only gets 500mb "unlimited" <----HA! per month.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 21st Aug 2010 5:47pm
Get Virgin Media 20 Meg download and unlimited usage.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 21st Aug 2010 6:08pm
Be a few yrs for 20 meg fones
Posted By: giffgaff_sims Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 1:59pm
I don't think advertising is allowed in this manner.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 2:05pm
But with my o2 sim i get my goodys and keep the amount i top up.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 5:09pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Get Virgin Media 20 Meg download and unlimited usage.

we have 50 and it is actually 53mps and no cap, download as many games as you like laugh
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 5:47pm
Why do people think that the internet is unlimited and they have a right to unlimited data transfer and use of expensive IP transit for their couple of shillings each month. Trust me, if ISP's could even in theory provide everyone with "unlimited" IP transit, then they would, but they can't, and I for one don't see the problem with FUP's.

Personally, I think they government should ban the word "unlimited" being used in such a manner, because there is always limits on every type of internet service, regardless of the technology or the price you are paying.

The FUP's are however, usually quite fair (there is the odd exception to the rule of course), and provide more data than 97% of the population could ever even think about using - any FUP only affects those who abuse the service, and it is these people who come out moaning when FUP's are implemented. Why should my internet connection be slowed down just because some peasent down the road is constantly ass-raping the UBR or DSLAM etc to within an inch of its life, why should 97% of users suffer network slowdowns because 3% of users are intent on trying to wreck it for everyone else. These people are nothing short of ASBO cases themselves, and they should lose their net connections if they are warned about their level of usage and refuse to comply.

Play fair, realise that FUP's are in place to ensure the QoS remains to a satisfactory level for everyone, and realise that downloading 500GB+ per month on a home connection is NOT reasonable or fair.

You want a leased line or a direct optical carrier connection, you bloody well pay for it. Or maybe you couldnt afford it?

As for the term unlimited - it doesnt exist in the context that the ISP's use it anyway. The correct term should actually be unmetered, because the connection is quite limited, to the amount of bandwidth available (20Mbps for example), the data transfer is either metered (in a 40GB monthly data transfer limit scenario for instance) or not metered/unmetered - it cannot be "unlimited" because as I say, the amount of data transfer you can utilize, is directly limited by the amount of bandwidth the connection has available to it.

smile
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 5:55pm
Uk is way behind on broadband. Was in tokyo last year superfast wi.fi almost everywhere. Fake i phones and nckias lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 6:10pm
The UK is an Island, that is heavily dependent on foreign datacentres and networs, thus by the very geographical nature of the UK, it means our internet service can never be as good as some Island that speaks its own language, and only really requires the use of internal networks and data centres. Its costs a lot of money to lay pipes under the big oceans of the world, hundreds of millions in fact. In addition to this, that entire Japanese economy is completely technology-centric, and their countries taxation and laws (planning for instance) are geared to support technological development.

Remember, we live in a country where the majority of the public vocally opposed a 50p per month broadband/technology levy, and we also have one of the most competitive and lowest cost broadband markets in the world - people don't mind complaining about the speed of our internet services or the state of our network infastructure, but they don't want to stump up the cash to pay for it either.

The US is too, facing similar problems to the UK with regards internet connectivity, because they too, require a mix of bandwidth with majority international transit, like the UK. It is unfair to compare the UK/US with some isolated, non-international language speaking, technology orientated country located in the far east.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: 100mb fair usage policy - 17th Sep 2010 7:49pm
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Play fair, realise that FUP's are in place to ensure the QoS remains to a satisfactory level for everyone, and realise that downloading 500GB+ per month on a home connection is NOT reasonable or fair.

smile

Lol laugh

i think anyone downloading that much data would be a pirate!

we got the 50mps connection purely for xbox live as to get no lag

smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral